Triple C's Place

Native...I had a little chuckle thinking about that buck worrying about me with recurve in hand based on last 5 releases. That trail cam pic was from Nov 26th. We have a hang-on directly above that camera. I was in that stand the previous day when all 3 arrows from my quiver were sticking up in the plot.

I'm willing to bet that you will start getting 1% better with it each day. In just a few more days, I don't want you shooting at me.;)

Last edited:
Thx for all the kind words guys! It was at this time of year in 2010 when I made an offer on this property. I honestly had no idea or no intention of it turning in to what it has - a complete lifestyle change. What a journey it has been in a few short years. Lot's of new friends I've never met thanks to the old forum and now this one. A big thanks to the guys that got this one going. Notice we are 1 away from 800 members. Pretty awesome in just a few short months.

Looking forward to see what comes in 2017. Wishing all a prosperous, content and healthy 2017!!!

Good stuff C. A drone is on my list of items I'd like (Santa apparently didn't come through on it), that aerial view is really something different.
Good luck on the traditional, I know it adds a whole new element into one's hunting.

Ha!!! You and me both. Got updates coming in the weeks ahead. Prescribed burn on the calendar. New planting of apple trees on B 118 rootstock with scions from THE LLC coming in March. One of the largest bon fires you will ever see when we light up all the piled stumps and slash from timbering operation coming up soon. Gonna pull cards in the next couple of weeks to see the up n comers for next year.

Stay tuned...updates coming soon. Just following along on a bunch of these threads in the meantime. Let's keep growing the membership to this site!

Not yet. On calendar with the Georgia Forestry Commission to burn. Just not sure when that will happen but definitely before full green up. I'm with you on the busy schedule. Busy is much, much better than the alternative!

Arrived at the farm Friday afternoon. We have had such a mild winter. Grains are lush green and all plots have the look of a mown lawn. Happy deer, turkey and other critters. The cabin field was cleared of several rows of pine to make it larger. We also removed one corner of pines to extend the field away from the cabin. Following logging, we brought in equipment to clean up this area.
Cabin field.jpg

We daylighted this interior road leading away from the cabin field and removed all of the stumps on either side. Planted in rye to get something growing. Imagine this planted in clover. We'll provide more forage in the coming years just by widening the road.
cabin road.jpg

This little plot is only about 1/3 acre and seldom gets hunted. 3 pear trees flank this plot. Deer keep it mowed to just above lip height.
horse shoe plot.jpg

Seems most of my sits are in and around the upper lower plot or the lower lower plot. I just love this section of our land. It is very secluded. Flanked by wetlands to the west and beaver ponds to the south. Aesthetically, it is a little slice of heaven. Looking south.
L:L looking south.jpg

Looking north with wetlands just behind me.
L:L looking north.jpg

One of the most appealing aspects of wetlands is that they are always changing. This beaver pond was wiped out in an epic flood just over a year ago. Beavers have been busy rebuilding their dams and it now looks like it did prior to the flood.
Beaver Pond.jpg

Just below the lower lower plot the beavers have been busy expanding their range. This area has been in a grassy marshy state for several years. Beavers have decided to create new habitat and it is now filling with water. If left undisturbed, beavers use one area for a while and then move to another. If this were a man made pond or lake we would be busy trapping the critters. But in natural bottomland, we can let them do their own engineering work and allow us the benefit of enjoying their newly created habitat. Walk down in here just about anytime during the day and you will hear wood ducks whistling away.
Beavers expanding.jpg

Not sure what kind of full moon we had rising on Friday night but it was glorious. Such a pleasant evening to be sitting around the fire pit watching the moon rise over the pines.
Bathing in moonlight.jpg

Awesome place! Do your beavers get out of control and hit any of your fruit trees?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Awesome place! Do your beavers get out of control and hit any of your fruit trees?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Never had a beaver in the plots. I would assume if their handiwork backed up their impoundments to the edge of the food plot we would but so far, they seem to be content to do their TSI work in the wetlands. At some point, we are going to put a pond in up near the cabin. I'm sure I will have a different opinion of beavers when that happens. As for now, they seem to be content in their own natural habitat.

Looks great! I really like that day lighted road.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Longleaf...I recall the 1st piece of advice I got from a State forester within a few months after buying the farm was to daylight the roads when I thinned. That was back in 2011. In 2013, I had UGA students do their senior project on my farm and their professor is a noted wildlife biologist with UGA. I had him out for a site visit and his recommendation was the same. We hope to establish them with perennial clover this fall. Plus, more sunlight = better road systems.

It's funny you show these pics today Triple. I was just thinking yesterday as I walked my place that I hadn't seen a recent sunset pic of your pond. Always love that sight.
The opened road is just what I plan to do albeit up and around a mountain side. for a mile opening 10 yds to either side.. But I plan to allow it to grow in brush growth on either side for native browse. Either way, think about it, for me it would be nearly 10-12 ac of native food plot, or planted if you choose. First read of doing so in one of Alchiemers books. And you are right, keeps the road base dry and healthy.
Really liked the sunset pic of family, hard to beat. Thanks for showing.

Longleaf...I recall the 1st piece of advice I got from a State forester within a few months after buying the farm was to daylight the roads when I thinned. That was back in 2011. In 2013, I had UGA students do their senior project on my farm and their professor is a noted wildlife biologist with UGA. I had him out for a site visit and his recommendation was the same. We hope to establish them with perennial clover this fall. Plus, more sunlight = better road systems.

I totally agree. That is one of the things I am working out with the forester for Blue Granite in this next timber harvest. I will be able to plant some of the edges like you are doing, but the edges with a decent slope will be kept in native vegetation and burned on a 2-3 year rotation.
Just like dogghr is talking about, the acreage adds up quick, and with it being linear openings the amount of edge it creates is tremendous compared to just cutting out a rectangle.

You have such a beautiful place. Those beaver ponds make me dream of wood ducks and mallards. No pine trees on my 160 and sometimes I wish for the beauty of pine trees but people surrounded by pine trees might wish to be surrounded by hardwoods of oaks and pecans like I have.

I am happy right now as we have rain on the way. Should be here in about 2 more hours with predictions of up to 2" of rain. I can't remember my last 2" rain.

God Bless
todd

It's funny you show these pics today Triple. I was just thinking yesterday as I walked my place that I hadn't seen a recent sunset pic of your pond. Always love that sight.
The opened road is just what I plan to do albeit up and around a mountain side. for a mile opening 10 yds to either side.. But I plan to allow it to grow in brush growth on either side for native browse. Either way, think about it, for me it would be nearly 10-12 ac of native food plot, or planted if you choose. First read of doing so in one of Alchiemers books. And you are right, keeps the road base dry and healthy.
Really liked the sunset pic of family, hard to beat. Thanks for showing.
dogghr...You make a great point to open up the interior roads and let it go to early successional habitat full of native browse. I think most guys go thru a natural progression when they acquire property - 1st inclination is to plant every thing that has bare dirt on it. Over time, one comes to appreciate native browse from both a financial stand point and a habitat stand point. I'm moving more and more to areas of natural browse. The pic above is the road leading away from the cabin. Other interior roads were daylighted with no stump removal. Since they were pines, I don't have to worry about hardwood stems popping up everywhere. We will just let them go to natural vegetation and put on a 2 or 3 year burn cycle. For aesthetic reasons, I had the stumps removed in the pic above and I want to plant the edges in clover and winter grains since I can see it from the cabin. Something about seeing green in January and February is just soothing.

I totally agree. That is one of the things I am working out with the forester for Blue Granite in this next timber harvest. I will be able to plant some of the edges like you are doing, but the edges with a decent slope will be kept in native vegetation and burned on a 2-3 year rotation.
Just like dogghr is talking about, the acreage adds up quick, and with it being linear openings the amount of edge it creates is tremendous compared to just cutting out a rectangle.
Couldn't agree more Longleaf. The acreage and "edge" added by daylighting interior roads adds up to a bunch of native browse acreage.

You have such a beautiful place. Those beaver ponds make me dream of wood ducks and mallards. No pine trees on my 160 and sometimes I wish for the beauty of pine trees but people surrounded by pine trees might wish to be surrounded by hardwoods of oaks and pecans like I have.

I am happy right now as we have rain on the way. Should be here in about 2 more hours with predictions of up to 2" of rain. I can't remember my last 2" rain.

God Bless
todd

Todd - I drove from St Louis to Columbia MO 2 weeks ago and was WOWED by so many miles of natural, mature hardwood and no pines. I thought it kind of strange. We are blessed to have a great mixture of both hardwoods and planted pines. The most soothing thing about mature pines is the distinct whoosh that wind creates compared to hardwoods. It's kind of like a whisper. Of great concern down south is the recent beetle infestation that is occurring in pine stands all across our area. The severe drought has stressed the pines and beetles are causing major issues. Spoke with my state forester on Friday about a scheduled burn and he was adamant that we not burn this year due to the stress on the stand. We are losing groups of pines here and there throughout the farm and will be closely monitoring the situation in the coming weeks and months. Love hearing woodies whistle around the beaver ponds. Such a pretty duck.

We were at our camp as well last Friday night and saw that moon.
John got a telescope for Christmas and we took it to camp to try out for the first time. He thought that was really cool!
We went for a moon lit walk in the dark and the kids went one way and me and wife went the other.
We all met up at the big food plot and I jumped out and gave the kids a good scare.
The woods on those kind of moon lit nights are unbeatable.

Back