Triple C's Place

We were at our camp as well last Friday night and saw that moon.
John got a telescope for Christmas and we took it to camp to try out for the first time. He thought that was really cool!
We went for a moon lit walk in the dark and the kids went one way and me and wife went the other.
We all met up at the big food plot and I jumped out and gave the kids a good scare.
The woods on those kind of moon lit nights are unbeatable.
possum...Looks like you guys are having a blast on your new property. And to be able to do that while you have young children says a lot about your discipline to make that happen. That moon reminds me of years ago taking the younguns on a "snipe hunt". Send them out in the woods by the moonlight and scare the bejeevies out them! You're the next county over from me so we'll have to plan for a dual visit sometime this year.

Love the daylighting on your roads. Small additions like that definitely allow for increased food and cover with very little human input. Variety is the spice of life and u can have multiple habitat interfaces within 10 yards of each other.

Enjoyed the picture of the moon, family and fire triple! I'm guessing you made some biscuits the next morning .
Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
HB...You are spot on. Made a skillet full of biscuits on Saturday morning with home made sausage and gravy. Threw in a little honey and butter at the end and sopped it up with a 2nd biscuit.

Love the daylighting on your roads. Small additions like that definitely allow for increased food and cover with very little human input. Variety is the spice of life and u can have multiple habitat interfaces within 10 yards of each other.
David...1st piece of advice from state forester was to daylight the 2 main interior roads to a width of 75 ft. We didn't make em all that wide all the way down the property but from the cabin down to say 900 to 1000 ft we did. The one we cleared of stumps we will maintain in a food plot with plenty of native browse in the thinned pines. The other we didn't clear the stumps and will just let it go fallow and put it on a burn rotation.

I also love the "daylighted" road TC! Looks soothing for sure.
Thx jvanhees! I think the same thing. Looking down from the cabin which is at the highest point on the property and at the north entrance of the farm, it just looks appealing to see green growing for as far as you can see down the interior road. We plan on planting it in clover next fall with rye as a nurse crop.

Excellent 3C! Been wanting to do that to my west road since I cut it in. Yeah the amount of natural edge browse you'll gain will be unreal.

I love this thread. You have done so much work, but are now fighting drought and finding drought solutions. It'll be interesting to see your results. Those plots and timber harvests will result in a healthy deer herd, and the size of the bucks will tell the story.

Love the new water hole. Amazing how much use a new water hole gets and already holding quite a bit of water.

todd

Your place is beautiful. Ive said it before.and i am sure i will say it again.
Those mounts are beauties too. Your taxidermist knows his/her stuff.

The water hole looks great!
Thx gut pile!

I love this thread. You have done so much work, but are now fighting drought and finding drought solutions. It'll be interesting to see your results. Those plots and timber harvests will result in a healthy deer herd, and the size of the bucks will tell the story.
Last years drought was epic. So far so good this year.

You burned without me???? You about ready to graft?
Tommy, truth is that Brooks burned without either of us. While burning stump piles he used his track loader to build water hole. Pays to have a son that pushes dirt for a living. Water hole was a surprise to me when I showed up last weekend. If I'm gone for 2 or 3 weeks I never know what I'm gonna find when I show up. He just does habitat stuff and I think he likes keeping it under wraps til I show up. Yes, those white tubes in the pic are the rootstocks ready to graft. Ready when you are.

Love the new water hole. Amazing how much use a new water hole gets and already holding quite a bit of water.

todd
Todd - Great clay base in that water hole. It should hold water really well.

Your place is beautiful. Ive said it before.and i am sure i will say it again.
Those mounts are beauties too. Your taxidermist knows his/her stuff.
Thx Fish! Lots of great taxidermists around these days n he's one of the best. He went to school with Brooks and has been doing it for a long time. Does a lot of African game as well.

Come to think of it, I believe that I have already asked that question about 9 times, never mind.
How are the bobwhites doing?
G
George, yes on the whip o wills. About a month away from them singing to me every evening. Quail population is growing. At least 2 big coveys on the farm.
Wow how beautiful you have things looking. You are living the dream my friend!
Thx NH!

Pond looks great Triple. Everything you do is go big of go home. I like that. Do you get much use of waterholes by deer? Mine aren't that much attraction I guess in part to 2 creeks I have. Would never do me to hunt over one. Hopefully your drought will stay away this year. I was in south FL last week visiting a friend and they were in a pretty good drought. All water was 6+ feet below normal in ponds. Enjoyed your update.

Back