Little Blue 40

The weather is supposed to change as we have a front coming. I think Thursday or so it is forecast to cool down - highs in the mid 60's and lows in the low 40's so I suspect things will improve. I have seen signs of the rut progressing as well - so things will start to get interesting. All my pics are at night now as well, but as we get further into November things will change and the boys will get more and more active.

The weather is supposed to change as we have a front coming. I think Thursday or so it is forecast to cool down - highs in the mid 60's and lows in the low 40's so I suspect things will improve. I have seen signs of the rut progressing as well - so things will start to get interesting. All my pics are at night now as well, but as we get further into November things will change and the boys will get more and more active.
I think you're right. One more warm day and we should get the leashes takes off the bucks.

Things cooled off considerably yesterday and the low will be around 40 in the morning. Deer activity around the house has been high over the past 24 hours. It has begun. Unfortunately, we havent seen rain for going on 4 weeks. Nothing in the ten day forecast. I cant remember dry weather lasting this long into November.
But nevertheless, tomorrow starts my 9 day rutcation. Its what i work year around for.

Things have been hot with multiple buck sightings every day. I put Luke here on the home 10 this evening and his target buck came out, but too far. Playing cat and mouse with that one. Had a doe just off the backyard eating sawtooths also this evening.
Little Blue is the best it has ever been. I am going to pat myself on the back for 3 years of habitat improvements, but who knows.
Back at it tomorrow.

Opening day of gun is always exciting! I expect i am going to bowhunt, but its still always an eventful day.

Didnt see a deer on Little Blue this morning. First hunt all week they've avoided me. But after 5 days of hunting, thats to be expected. Air currents in the bottoms are all over the place until midmorning. I was busted once, but other than that ive gotten away with some things.

Trail cam still showing plenty of deer in the plot. Mostly nocturnal. Until i get better cover surrounding my food, i expect that to be the case.
Putting the boy out on the home 10 as soon as he gets home from school today.

Good luck to you and your son. Expecting pictures soon!
I was hoping for that myself this week. :D. But i am definitely enjoying hours spent in the woods.
Luke saw a 4 ptr in the orchard tonight on the home 10. Just a little too far. But i think he might have been shaking a little. This season is addicting him to bowhunting. He has seen a lot of deer and dad is staying out of his way. I remember when my dad turned me loose. I felt pretty big.

What is up with this weather Fish? We had a hard frost Saturday and Sunday and now we are looking at 70's as highs this week and then back to the cold this weekend. I swear you never know what November will look like in this state! Hope your boy gets him a deer. I have seen most activity in the early am and then again once things start to cool once the sun goes down - this moon seems to be affecting them as well.

What is up with this weather Fish? We had a hard frost Saturday and Sunday and now we are looking at 70's as highs this week and then back to the cold this weekend. I swear you never know what November will look like in this state! Hope your boy gets him a deer. I have seen most activity in the early am and then again once things start to cool once the sun goes down - this moon seems to be affecting them as well.
Weather this year is crazy for sure. We are extremely dry down here with elevated fire risk with the winds coming on Thursday. Yes, back to t-shirts and then the bottom falls out this weekend. And i have to work so i will count on you guys to quench my hunting thirst.
Luke's buck came out of the patch of woods across the road this evening. Good to see he is still alive and well.

I've never saw a hunting season with as much good weather as this year in Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Last week was optimal for sure, barring a warm Monday. Mornings were chilly and crisp in the bottoms and afternoons were just plain relaxing. I would like to hunt in the rain now. Its been a long time since weve gotten wet.

Just coming off a 9 day rutcation hunting Little Blue. I have only two stands on this 40 acre property. One located on the south end of the bottoms and another located on the north end of the bottoms. Both are low intrusion, easy access stands that take advantage of southerly or northerly wind directions.
From a tree stand, the bottoms seem fairly open. But from ground level, it's hard to see more than ten or twenty yards most places.

S3980003.JPG

I've dropped, girdled, and killed a lot of trees in these bottoms, leaving on black walnuts with good form to carry on. Boxelders are rampant and I kill them yearly.

S3980002.JPG

When I bought this property, I could see a good 100 yards through these bottoms after October. That's not the case anymore now that sunlight is hitting the ground.

S3980004.JPG

I went to the tree eleven times over my days hunting. Only once did I not see a deer, and most trips to the stand I saw deer on multiple occasions. I've owned this property 3 years and the first year I saw deer one out of four trips to the stand. Last year was slightly better, but I killed early on the Home 10 and didn't hunt the property through the rut.

This guy will be a better deer next year. I saw him twice last week. 20 yards on this occasion.

S3990001.JPG

After hunting into the late mornings, I would come home and get Luke into the stand on the Home 10 right after school. He has hunted hard, but despite bucks showing up twice for him last week here at the house, he was unable to get one close enough.

S3960001.JPG

looks like the boy got his dad's passion for deer hunting. So happy you are starting to "see" the results of all your hard work.

good luck the rest of the season
todd

So after hunting hard for 7 days, I knew gun season was opening on Sat. I debated taking the gun, but kept talking myself out of it. Despite seeing my #1 hit list buck 2X over 7 days, I just figured I would go with a bow on Saturday and Sunday and let the chips fall where they may.

this is a nice thicket just south and southeast of my south stand, which makes it dicey for north winds. But I watched a lot of does head into the southeast pocket in the mornings to bed. The road is just on the other side of this thicket about 60 yards. My hit list buck went through this thicket like a charging bull one evening searching for the ladies.
S3980005.JPG

You can see my Miscanthus Giganteus tunnel that I use to access the stand.....

S3980006.JPG

So Sunday morning dawned cold and crisp. An hour after daylight I peaked behind the tree into this wetland area and I see the buck I came for weaving through the tall grass.

S3980007.JPG

I grunted. With hardly any hesitation the buck came running. In the time it took to grab the bow and attach the release, the deer was 20 yards behind the tree. He opted to take the side of the tree that would require me to turn completely around. By the time I could get to where he was, the buck, a beautiful 9 pointer with a forked G2 and a tall 150" rack, was 15 yards. I drew the bow and as I came back to my cheek with the release, I saw his head come up and look straight at me. Big trouble. The buck finally decided things weren't right and left as quickly as he'd come.
A short time later, 3 shots poured out from the neighbors property. My heart sank. Then came the text with the bucks picture attached.
I have not forgiven myself for not taking the gun and killing my first deer on this property. It won't happen again.

I settled back into the tree and looked hard at the rusted piece of metal under my tree stand. Wondering how long I would have to wait for another opportunity like the one I'd just been given.

S3980008.JPG

looks like the boy got his dad's passion for deer hunting. So happy you are starting to "see" the results of all your hard work.

good luck the rest of the season
todd
Thanks, Todd. I'm resting better......

So after hunting hard for 7 days, I knew gun season was opening on Sat. I debated taking the gun, but kept talking myself out of it. Despite seeing my #1 hit list buck 2X over 7 days, I just figured I would go with a bow on Saturday and Sunday and let the chips fall where they may.

this is a nice thicket just south and southeast of my south stand, which makes it dicey for north winds. But I watched a lot of does head into the southeast pocket in the mornings to bed. The road is just on the other side of this thicket about 60 yards. My hit list buck went through this thicket like a charging bull one evening searching for the ladies.
View attachment 4569

You can see my Miscanthus Giganteus tunnel that I use to access the stand.....

View attachment 4570

So Sunday morning dawned cold and crisp. An hour after daylight I peaked behind the tree into this wetland area and I see the buck I came for weaving through the tall grass.

View attachment 4574

I grunted. With hardly any hesitation the buck came running. In the time it took to grab the bow and attach the release, the deer was 20 yards behind the tree. He opted to take the side of the tree that would require me to turn completely around. By the time I could get to where he was, the buck, a beautiful 9 pointer with a forked G2 and a tall 150" rack, was 15 yards. I drew the bow and as I came back to my cheek with the release, I saw his head come up and look straight at me. Big trouble. The buck finally decided things weren't right and left as quickly as he'd come.
A short time later, 3 shots poured out from the neighbors property. My heart sank. Then came the text with the bucks picture attached.
I have not forgiven myself for not taking the gun and killing my first deer on this property. It won't happen again.

I settled back into the tree and looked hard at the rusted piece of metal under my tree stand. Wondering how long I would have to wait for another opportunity like the one I'd just been given.

View attachment 4575
Man, that's a tough one to swallow. My son came home on leave just to hunt the rut. Nothing like spending time in the woods with your children. I kept telling my wife I didn't care if I saw anything, I just hoped my son would get a nice buck. He did have an opportunity on a 10 pointer that we had seen on camera but couldn't get a shot. He killed his first deer on this property last year.

Man, that's a tough one to swallow. My son came home on leave just to hunt the rut. Nothing like spending time in the woods with your children. I kept telling my wife I didn't care if I saw anything, I just hoped my son would get a nice buck. He did have an opportunity on a 10 pointer that we had seen on camera but couldn't get a shot. He killed his first deer on this property last year.
Tough to swallow, but i finally choked it down. :D. There will be others.
Good luck to you and your son. We always root for the kids(no matter how old). It's better than tagging one ourselves.

Back