Little Blue 40

Your plots are looking great, all of that hard work is paying off.
Thanks Fly. Hopefully deer will respond on Little Blue. Habitat improvements are slow sometimes. The Home 10 is my success story right now.:cool:

That was a good bit of rototilling.

John do heat with wood exclusively? what other heat do you use? What size space do you heat? How much wood do you put up for the winter?

G

Congrats on getting your own place. Nothing like it in the world

What are you planting for the road screen? Leland cypress?

I am glad I am not the only one with a "Home 10" that was named that because when we originally bought our 80 the 10 is where we lived but now we live on the 80 but the other place will always be affectionately referred to as "home 10"...

Your Home 10 looks great and the 40 is coming right along. Looking at all that ground you hand tilled wears me out but if I didn't have my tractor I would be doing the same thing. We work with what we have...fortunately I bought a tractor the spring before we bought our new property ;)

That was a good bit of rototilling.

John do heat with wood exclusively? what other heat do you use? What size space do you heat? How much wood do you put up for the winter?

G
When its cold out, we are 100% wood heat. We have a heat pump for backup, but it is cold heat if that makes sense. We bought a Lopi Leyden about 6 years ago and it sits in our living room. Our cathedral is 23' in that main room and the stove can run you out of there in a hurry. The bedrooms are always cooler.
I try to stay ahead of the wood, and the Leyden burns best with bone dry fuel. I have about 4 years worth stacked and protected from rain. The last 3 years have been mild. Weve burned less than 2 cords each of the last 3 years.
I burn junk softwoods in the mild weather and oak, hickory, black locust in the coldest weather.

Im sure where you are at and with the wood you have to burn i would double or triple my wood amounts. Just depends on how warm you like it.

Congrats on getting your own place. Nothing like it in the world

What are you planting for the road screen? Leland cypress?

My road screens vary over two properties, but i have no leyland cypress. Cedars, pines, and miscanthus giganteus are my go-to plants. The dang utility company seems to think my cedars are too close to their lines and kill them at will. Those cedars would never get into their lines, but they have a slash a burn policy 30' feet either side of the power lines.

I am glad I am not the only one with a "Home 10" that was named that because when we originally bought our 80 the 10 is where we lived but now we live on the 80 but the other place will always be affectionately referred to as "home 10"...

Your Home 10 looks great and the 40 is coming right along. Looking at all that ground you hand tilled wears me out but if I didn't have my tractor I would be doing the same thing. We work with what we have...fortunately I bought a tractor the spring before we bought our new property ;)

Thanks Kubota. Labor day was indeed a labor day for me. :D. I sat against the truck tire at one point and drank nearly a gallon of water. Im dying to get back to those plots and check on my work.
Someday in the near future i will get an ATV with a disc attachment. If nothing else, i can drive my supplies to the plot. :cool:

When its cold out, we are 100% wood heat. We have a heat pump for backup, but it is cold heat if that makes sense. We bought a Lopi Leyden about 6 years ago and it sits in our living room. Our cathedral is 23' in that main room and the stove can run you out of there in a hurry. The bedrooms are always cooler.
I try to stay ahead of the wood, and the Leyden burns best with bone dry fuel. I have about 4 years worth stacked and protected from rain. The last 3 years have been mild. Weve burned less than 2 cords each of the last 3 years.
I burn junk softwoods in the mild weather and oak, hickory, black locust in the coldest weather.

Im sure where you are at and with the wood you have to burn i would double or triple my wood amounts. Just depends on how warm you like it.

Thanks John, that Leyden looks very much like my Vermont Castings Defiant. 2 more loads and I will have 5+ cords of spruce and a face cord of oak.

In Iowa I maintained a breezy 58-60 degrees.

I have my bed downstairs in a sun room and it is an arm span from the stove. Wind chill won't be much of a factor in this house so I am looking forward to a cozy warm winter.

G

You have been busy - place looks great and I like how you are working with what you have. We all start off with limited resources and some stay that way. You don't have to have a tractor to plot and your proving that. I look forward to following along.

You have been busy - place looks great and I like how you are working with what you have. We all start off with limited resources and some stay that way. You don't have to have a tractor to plot and your proving that. I look forward to following along.

Thank you, jbird. Hopefully the spray and throw comes in also and i can feed some deer this fall. I havent been back overr there since planting and its killing me.

It is hard to stay out of there once you plant because you want to see how everything is doing. I used to love plotting on home 10 because I could watch everything from the house while it was growing unless we have a drought year like this one...

On our 80 up at the hollow the plots are in the deep woods so everytime you go in you risk bumping everything out and it makes it tough to do anything over there... having said that the last time I went over which was last Saturday I noticed the armadillos are really tearing the plots up in big sections so I am taking some seed over this evening to broadcast into the armadillo rootings because we have a chance at rain Saturday night and I won't have any other chances to get over there before the rain because of prior commitments...

I bet yours is coming in great!

Very dry here on the Home 10 Kubota. Probably not as bad as what you're facing, but we've gotten a half inch in 5 weeks.
I went up to Little Blue yesterday to check the plots and did jump a doe, show only heard me and had no idea what or where I was. She walked into the brush after about 10 minutes.

Looking on the Little Blue plot of milo and LC mix.... This was a pond a couple years ago.

S3740016.JPG

S3740017.JPG

S3740018.JPG

Despite a couple rains since planting Sept. 5, i could use rain on this plot

S3740020.JPG

Jewelweed growing in the semi-shaded low ground.....

S3740014.JPG

Last edited:
On the Home 10, I shallowed tilled in seed and fert around two rows of apple trees that are just beginning to bear fruit. I wanted to get clover started here.
Dry, dry, dry... but I did get germination with only a small amount of rain.

S3730002.JPG

Looks spotty, but another light rain helped to start filling things in..

S3730005.JPG

S3730011.JPG

The area is grown up in broomsedge and I love it for a simple easy to grow native grass. It came up in the soil bank when the ground was no longer used for crops. Miscanthus Giganteus behind the broomsedge.

S3730004.JPG

Its pretty tall. At least 4-5 feet. And I can mow up until about July without affecting growth much at all.

S3730003.JPG

Attachments

• S3730008.JPG
    S3730008.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 0
  • S3730009.JPG
    S3730009.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 0
My deer are lazy, preferring to eat apples right on the tree....:D

S3740005.JPG

Luke and I made some apple cider! Man this stuff is great.

S3740027.JPG

We washed, rinsed, and loaded up for the press.....

S3740026.JPG

Probably about two bushels.....

S3740025.JPG

Next we tossed them into the grinder....

S3740030.JPG

S3740028.JPG

S3740033.JPG

We filled the basket in no time....

Then we squeezed....

S3740040.JPG

and the sweet nectar began to flow.....

S3740034.JPG

S3740035.JPG

when all was done, we had about 2 1/2 gallons..... Great afternoon with my son and we can't get enough of this stuff.

Attachments

• S3740037.JPG
    S3740037.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 0
I agree with the broomsedge, grows thuout my fields, but even it took a hit with drought this year which surprised me. Place looks awesome. As does the apple juice/cider. I watched crows carrying off apples this weekend, that was a first for me.

Broomsedge is one of those grasses that can really put on the growth in late summer and early fall even with lots of brushhog pressure. I have never noticed anything eat it but it does create a standing cover for small game...

Looks like you have all the equipment in place for apple cider...having the stuff to do what you want to do is really nice...

As far as the dry - I hear you in spades on that deal :(

Thanks guys.
We rabbit hunt out in that broomsedge every January and rarely kick a rabbit out of there. Which surprises me. Ive not seen anything eat it, but cover is great.
I have cider equipment. Now i need food plot equipment. :)
0.9 inches of rain yesterdy. Counting my blessings on that one.

Back