Little Blue 40

Off to a slow start this October. I just had my first hunt this morning, but I've put Luke into a tree a couple times here on the Home 10. Nothing too exciting yet, but he enjoys getting out of the "Little Buddy" type stands and into his own Lock-On.

S3860001.JPG

The small LC plots are filling in after a good rain a couple of weeks ago.

S3760004.JPG

Radish...

S3760003.JPG

and clovers growing.....

S3760005.JPG

aren't they supposed to leave milo alone until frost? :confused:

S3760010.JPG

A few ladies out the other evening, but things have changed since the nearby crops came out and autumn came in full swing. Not seeing deer on the Home 10 like the summer months.

S3870022.JPG

Luke is hunting this evening. It's nearly 80 degrees. But he prefers that over 40. :D
I hunted Little Blue this morning and nearly stepped on one walking in. Otherwise, a big fat 0 for me.

Plots are looking good. Good luck on the hunting!

Thanks, Fly! Gonna be more like swimming weather for the next few days. Looking at a record high or two. But days a shorter in sunlight hours now, so it wont take too heavy a toll on dry plots.

I remember taking my boy to his first "big kid" stands. That pine should offer some pretty sweet cover for him.

Weather forecast I saw says it's supposed to cool down for the weekend (highs around 60) - so hopefully that will help with the deer movement for you guys. I have crop harvest in full swing in my area so deer are here today gone tomorrow and the like. As the standing corn crop dwindles the deer get pushed back into the cover.....where we wait for them!

I hope to see that boy of yours in a "hero shot" by the close of season!

I remember taking my boy to his first "big kid" stands. That pine should offer some pretty sweet cover for him.

Weather forecast I saw says it's supposed to cool down for the weekend (highs around 60) - so hopefully that will help with the deer movement for you guys. I have crop harvest in full swing in my area so deer are here today gone tomorrow and the like. As the standing corn crop dwindles the deer get pushed back into the cover.....where we wait for them!

I hope to see that boy of yours in a "hero shot" by the close of season!

Thanks jbird. We have a fair amount of acorns this year also. Thats got them spread out i am sure. The ground at the Home 10 is covered - and i mean covered- in sawtooth acorns. If they lay there until November we might have a grand old time with bucks.
I got a deer 3D type target for my birthday last week. That goofy boy of mine stuck it in the woods along the driveway. I about had a heart attack when i came up the drive and saw it in there. Thought it was a nice buck at first glance.:p
He is shooting his bow great. Hopefully he can be calmer than me and not get deer fever.

Thanks jbird. We have a fair amount of acorns this year also. Thats got them spread out i am sure. The ground at the Home 10 is covered - and i mean covered- in sawtooth acorns. If they lay there until November we might have a grand old time with bucks.
I got a deer 3D type target for my birthday last week. That goofy boy of mine stuck it in the woods along the driveway. I about had a heart attack when i came up the drive and saw it in there. Thought it was a nice buck at first glance.:p
He is shooting his bow great. Hopefully he can be calmer than me and not get deer fever.
I intentionally use my 3D archery target as a decoy and it works! I simply add some moving white material at the ears and tail and the deer will come and check it out. I use it to pull deer across open fields to get close enough for a shot....I love using them in the open in late archery season during the chase phase. I use a small buck to bring in someone looking for a fight. I have used them in gun but I put a piece of orange tape on the decoy to keep some idiot from shooting at it.

Do sawtooth acorns seem to last on the ground at your place? It seems like some acorns simply don't fair well on the ground and rot quickly.

I intentionally use my 3D archery target as a decoy and it works! I simply add some moving white material at the ears and tail and the deer will come and check it out. I use it to pull deer across open fields to get close enough for a shot....I love using them in the open in late archery season during the chase phase. I use a small buck to bring in someone looking for a fight. I have used them in gun but I put a piece of orange tape on the decoy to keep some idiot from shooting at it.

Do sawtooth acorns seem to last on the ground at your place? It seems like some acorns simply don't fair well on the ground and rot quickly.

I can see that target making a great decoy.
Ive never had piles of sawtooth acorns laying around in November. But my deer just arent here right now like usual. No way they will clean them up in two weeks though. So i will update on that as we go along.
I think they will do fine laying there with the number of seedlings ive had come up in past years.

The deer in my area hit the sawtooth acorns as soon as they fall. The fescue and other grasses around the trees become a flattened circle this time of the year.

Your brassica garden is gonna bolt. :D

You are right, I haven't watched every cloud that passed by Keo this year. I would probably have to believe it to see it.

Don't forget to wee wee on it J-bird.

I can see that target making a great decoy.
Ive never had piles of sawtooth acorns laying around in November. But my deer just arent here right now like usual. No way they will clean them up in two weeks though. So i will update on that as we go along.
I think they will do fine laying there with the number of seedlings ive had come up in past years.

That's exciting to see how that works?

G

Buck activity picking up....... daylight pics aren't much yet. Plenty of pics on the Little Blue plot. Though I'm not seeing much from the tree.

I like this guy...

HUNT0260.JPG

squaring off.....

HUNT0773.JPG

fight. fight. fight.

HUNT0769.JPG

everybody's enjoying the LC mix......

HUNT0462.JPG

HUNT0501.JPG

On the Home 10, Luke's buck showed up under the sawtooths.... He's covered in one of my trees from rubbing! :mad: :D

WGI_0030.JPG

Everybody has to come and smell the camera. :D

WGI_0033.JPG

Very fun time of year to have the cams up and running.

Attachments

• HUNT0260.JPG
    HUNT0260.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 0
Put up the garden in rye and radish...... The soil in my garden has improved tremendously since I started this 3 years ago...

S3870005.JPG

Found some English Oaks in town the other day....

S3880007.JPG

Luke and I got us a buck haulin', food plottin toy..

S3900002.JPG

Hopefully things will pick up after cool temps later this week!

You have some nice bucks. If like me you need some cooler weather now to get them on their feet during shooting hours.

Plots look great.

You have some nice bucks. If like me you need some cooler weather now to get them on their feet during shooting hours.

Plots look great.
Thanks Geo and Doc. Yes, what i would give for a misty 50 degree day right now. Starting next weekend, i will be hunting no matter the temps. I am very happy with the plots. Getting a lot of attention and its really the first time ive had a "food plot". Really dry though.
Is the buck facing the cam in the 2nd pic the same buck in the first pic?? Sometimes i think yes. The brows are the same. But the buck in the first pic looks taller.

Back