Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate that.

Our Fall turkey shotgun season is in right now, but I'm just not in the mood to hunt for some reason. Instead, I've been out doing habitat work the last few days. The pic below is from a camera on my blind, and all of these turkeys are in range.

0lVoDl8.jpg

But just because I'm not hunting them, that doesn't mean they are safe.

BwespOi.jpg

One of the things I've been doing is transplanting shrubs. Some of these will go back in downed trees and briers for protection - others will go in individual cages for protection - and others will go into a fenced circle (shown below) that is 32 feet diameter.

2rNS1XR.jpg

wN3cTrz.jpg

This is the fenced enclosure made with a 100 feet roll of welded wire that will eventually be taken up and moved to another spot once the shrubs inside mature.

WpBcmG2.jpg

I'm also make some hinged cut pathways. I like to do this to create edge and allow sunlight in to areas that have low value trees like poplar. As the regeneration starts taking place, I will go in once or twice a year and whack undesirables so that desirable plants will be able to thrive.

zr52H7p.jpg

BU2Xhxm.jpg

ypYePFQ.jpg

uv36tff.jpg

Several of my sawtooth oaks are getting quite large. It's amazing how fast they grow and produce acorns.

PVWUI5o.jpg

This is a deer I'm happy to see make it through gun season. He is already a good deer and might be even better next year.

U8DEXol.jpg

fffVHff.jpg

Lots of rain this week and some commitments, but Good Lord willing I will be back at it soon. Take care

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate that.

Our Fall turkey shotgun season is in right now, but I'm just not in the mood to hunt for some reason. Instead, I've been out doing habitat work the last few days. The pic below is from a camera on my blind, and all of these turkeys are in range.

0lVoDl8.jpg

But just because I'm not hunting them, that doesn't mean they are safe.

BwespOi.jpg

One of the things I've been doing is transplanting shrubs. Some of these will go back in downed trees and briers for protection - others will go in individual cages for protection - and others will go into a fenced circle (shown below) that is 32 feet diameter.

2rNS1XR.jpg

wN3cTrz.jpg

This is the fenced enclosure made with a 100 feet roll of welded wire that will eventually be taken up and moved to another spot once the shrubs inside mature.

WpBcmG2.jpg

I'm also make some hinged cut pathways. I like to do this to create edge and allow sunlight in to areas that have low value trees like poplar. As the regeneration starts taking place, I will go in once or twice a year and whack undesirables so that desirable plants will be able to thrive.

zr52H7p.jpg

BU2Xhxm.jpg

ypYePFQ.jpg

uv36tff.jpg

Several of my sawtooth oaks are getting quite large. It's amazing how fast they grow and produce acorns.

PVWUI5o.jpg

This is a deer I'm happy to see make it through gun season. He is already a good deer and might be even better next year.

U8DEXol.jpg

fffVHff.jpg

Lots of rain this week and some commitments, but Good Lord willing I will be back at it soon. Take care
Good to see you are getting right back on everything so soon. Our rifle season ended Sunday with me taking no shots at deer. I have 2 trucks down right now and I can’t haul my tractor or dozer until something gets fixed but the dozer is here on the hollow and my tractor is out at home 10 so I can use it to feed cows. Lot of rain coming so gotta get busy right now...lol

A big project for me - I'm planting (and promoting volunteer) Shrub plots (with a few trees too) within the storm debris for our tornado this spring. I'm leaving the dead pine trees laying and going back into them and planting shrubs. My hope is that the debris will protect the shrubs long enough for them to build good root systems. Then, when the debris rots, deer will browse the shrubs but not destroy them due to them being well established.

Some are coming up volunteer, and others I am planting. I'm also whacking anything undesirable that comes up to compete with the shrubs. When this is finished, I hope to have some incredible browse places - much better than it was with the pines.

Some of the shrubs/species include = Arrowwood Viburnum, blackberry, Grey Dogwood, Red Osier Dogwood, Hazelnut, Alder, mulberry, Allegheny Chinkapin, Chestnut, Winterberry, etc.

OtoULhl.jpg

TPuLyFH.jpg

oo6J4C3.jpg

QjowSOv.jpg

8RuABAY.jpg

RUXCrVy.jpg

The most fun will be KILLING stone cold dead any sweetgums that come up. Joy to the world.

A big project for me - I'm planting (and promoting volunteer) Shrub plots (with a few trees too) within the storm debris for our tornado this spring. I'm leaving the dead pine trees laying and going back into them and planting shrubs. My hope is that the debris will protect the shrubs long enough for them to build good root systems. Then, when the debris rots, deer will browse the shrubs but not destroy them due to them being well established.

Some are coming up volunteer, and others I am planting. I'm also whacking anything undesirable that comes up to compete with the shrubs. When this is finished, I hope to have some incredible browse places - much better than it was with the pines.

Some of the shrubs/species include = Arrowwood Viburnum, blackberry, Grey Dogwood, Red Osier Dogwood, Hazelnut, Alder, mulberry, Allegheny Chinkapin, Chestnut, Winterberry, etc.

OtoULhl.jpg

TPuLyFH.jpg

oo6J4C3.jpg

QjowSOv.jpg

8RuABAY.jpg

RUXCrVy.jpg

The most fun will be KILLING stone cold dead any sweetgums that come up. Joy to the world.
Great project! I have found that brushpiles and briar patches make great places to plant heavily browsed species.

The last few days have been extremely sad and hard ones for me. My mother went into anaphylactic shock, had multiple strokes and eventually passed away from an antibiotic shot (Rocephin) they gave her to treat a simple urinary tract infection. I just wanted to let those who follow my thread know about this since it had been a while since I have posted. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and prayers. It may be a while, but I hope to get back closer to normal at some point in the future. Take Care.....

Very sad to hear this Native:( Prayers for you and your families healing... my Dad passed in 2015 and there are lots of times when I think I can just still go talk to him and then it all comes back that he is not around. Simple stuff like looking at an old fence or certain land features over at home 10 make me think “Dad did that”...

Back