Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

That sounds good. It will be interesting to see how you make out. The two wild cards of course are the root stock used and the being from away and thus maybe not exposed to whatever unique pests may be in your area that it has not morphed itself to be prepared for.
Now that apple tree that will be replaced by a road shown in your picture, If that one grows without incident could that be cut, dug up and then transplanted and used as a root graft? I'd be glad to send you scions from different trees if that might work. I'm not a grafter so am asking the question versus advising.

On that apple tree shown in the picture, thank you I am quite pleased with that one. Even though I haven't made the criteria yet for choosing which trees to use to cross with I think that one will be a slam dunk as one of them.

Dave, I will send you a PM about the scions. That would be some testing that might be interesting to both of us.

Yes, that apple in your pictures is certainly one that would have my attention in regards to the project of breeding wild apples. The picture alone tells a story - words aren't needed.

I've got WG trees to set tomorrow. It should make me feel better. The dozers building the new road finally arrived two days ago. Last two pics is what the old orchard at my home looked like today. At least we have scions and some root suckers of what is gone.

You know Native, at one time when a road was built, the farmer often dictated its path. They were made to avoid prime land for crops or cattle, hence some really strange curves on country roads. Those days are long gone, and little thot is given to affect on land as a road is built for progress. Bet you were somewhat saddened to see that sight.

Good you got scions to save the trees Native.
I guess you didn't have any choice on the road going through?
That part isn't good either way you look at it.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

You know Native, at one time when a road was built, the farmer often dictated its path. They were made to avoid prime land for crops or cattle, hence some really strange curves on country roads. Those days are long gone, and little thot is given to affect on land as a road is built for progress. Bet you were somewhat saddened to see that sight.

Yep, saddened but not complaining about losing trees when 3 neighbors lost their homes. It was easy to put into perspective when I considered that. But we have a new home orchard going and all the apples we can eat, so life is still good. But still sad to see those old apple trees 70 + years old and still bearing not standing there anymore.

Good you got scions to save the trees Native.
I guess you didn't have any choice on the road going through?
That part isn't good either way you look at it.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Merle, yes there was no choice. They took what they wanted and we just cooperated. Some others didn't cooperate, but it didn't make any difference - they still took what they wanted.

Funny thing - we didn't know when they would actually start. I took the last scions on Saturday and left home on business for 2 days and when I got back it had been leveled. Good timing....:)

Merle, yes there was no choice. They took what they wanted and we just cooperated. Some others didn't cooperate, but it didn't make any difference - they still took what they wanted.

Funny thing - we didn't know when they would actually start. I took the last scions on Saturday and left home on business for 2 days and when I got back it had been leveled. Good timing....:)

Sorry they have taken some of your trees; Each one was probably an entity into itself that can never be fully duplicated. I imagine they must have balked when you came up with a value for them to replace them. Glad you had taken some roots and scions before the dozers showed up. Well onward and upward--There is no time to look back;we have lots more to do.

Sorry they have taken some of your trees; Each one was probably an entity into itself that can never be fully duplicated. I imagine they must have balked when you came up with a value for them to replace them. Glad you had taken some roots and scions before the dozers showed up. Well onward and upward--There is no time to look back;we have lots more to do.

Thanks Dave - yes, as the country song say, "Time Marches On."

Where did the road go through? Did it cut through your place or just widen an existing road? Sad

Johnny, at the point it comes by me it is a totally new section of highway. It is only clipping off the edge of my yard, but split my in-laws property in two pieces. It took their house, their barn and their workshop garage. The centerline will be very close to where their old house stood. They moved over about 150 yards to the east of their old house and built a new house once they settled with the highway department.

The old house was where the ancient apple trees were. My MIL grew up in that house as a child and even remembered when some of the trees were set. I had some nice apples set at the edge of my yard and had also added some new ones on their property. These were semi dwarfs that had been in the ground 7 - 10 years and nice trees that were bearing well. We moved those with a backhoe, and they are all still alive but recovering from the transplanting.

It was especially sad for my in-laws and the other family members who were raised there.

PS: This isn't my farm where I hunt and do habitat work. I live about 20 minutes from there.

I'm jealous of your weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I'm taking advantage of that weather today and burning a vacation day to set trees. Today will be nice but tomorrow is supposed to be Florida weather here. My boots won't have time to cool off - I will be back out again doing something. I have more trees ordered but couldn't get them shipped since they are coming from north instead of south.

My Dad fought and fought every time the Road folks wanted more land to widen a road or straighten a curve. But they would get it and then he would complain cause they would not keep the WIDE right of way cut. To this day, I am still mowing the wide right of way at my Mother's house.

My Dad fought and fought every time the Road folks wanted more land to widen a road or straighten a curve. But they would get it and then he would complain cause they would not keep the WIDE right of way cut. To this day, I am still mowing the wide right of way at my Mother's house.

They should have to pay you for that mowing lak. What a bummer.

You've got quite the head start this year. I'm in the same boat, we had nearly no winter weather to speak of the whole month of February. I started my habitat work on Sunday, TSI and evergreen planting were on the agenda. Everything is looking great as usual at your place. Sorry to hear about the old apple trees. Progress...they say...

You've got quite the head start this year. I'm in the same boat, we had nearly no winter weather to speak of the whole month of February. I started my habitat work on Sunday, TSI and evergreen planting were on the agenda. Everything is looking great as usual at your place. Sorry to hear about the old apple trees. Progress...they say...

Weasel, it's really good to hear from you, and I'm glad you've got an early start too.

With the crazy warm weather here we may not be as early as we think. I thought I was collecting pear scions pretty early, but noticed today that some pears are already breaking buds and we have some crabapples that have pretty big leaves already.

I have a few more fruit trees coming from 3 different places and not sure when they will ship. We also have several trees to top work this spring, and that will roll around quickly. When that gets done it will be time for spring mowing - then who know what else in the summer. But it's better to be busy working than setting back and doing nothing!!!!

Well, it looks like I'm going to own another piece of land. The pic below shows it. This is just 14 acres but in a remote area with lots of deer and especially turkey. Facts:

• This is a 6 minute drive from my 100 acre farm.
  • Top half (field) will remain in a relative's name for right now but is willed to me.
  • Bottom half (little inset and woods) I am buying in 2 weeks.
  • Land drops off to a creek on the south. Gets steep behind the little inset but more gradual slope at the edges. Right behind the inset looks like might be a good pinch point for deer travel. I will need to check that out.
  • Land to the north and west is family land that no one else hunts - I can hunt it too.
  • Land to east is hunted but not that much.
  • Fields are farmed in soybeans and this will continue
  • I've turkey hunted here for years but just hunting family land. The hardest part of turkey hunting here is spooking deer everywhere you try to walk. I've never deer hunted here but some big ones have come from nearby. I don't know yet how much I will actually hunt here but will figure everything out as I go along (I'm just set up too good at my other place). I don't really plan on doing much habitat work here - other than cutting some shooting lanes and maybe building a couple of blinds. Timber was cut a few years ago, so woods are pretty thick.
  • No sweet gums here...:D
Give me your ideas about hunting this. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Back