Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

congrats on the new land. Always exciting to get a new place--even though you have had access to it but now it will be yours to do as you please.

I think i see a nice little open square of field on that new property that would be great for clover and fruit trees.:cool:

I think i see a nice little open square of field on that new property that would be great for clover and fruit trees.:cool:

Fish, I might eventually do that, but for a while I'm going to let them keep putting beans in that field. But I'm thinking a little about clearing just a tad more on the east side of it and getting some persimmons started.

It's been a while since I was at that spot, but I recall a natural East/West funnel coming up to the back of that little inset. It stays flat for a few yards and then drops off steep to the creek. All travel through there will likely come to within 60 yards of the back of the inset. That might be a cool place for a stand.

Native, you nailed it in my opinion. It looks like a great pinch point between the back of that inset and the creek. You could improve it even more by felling a few trees to steer deer traveling e-w to an even narrower gap. Seems like I would hunt it on either a north or a south wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new land! Looks very promising and gives you options! I love options because you can move around to keep from burning an area out and you get to hunt different deer which is why we will keep our 1500 acre deer lease until they boot us off. Right now my primary hunting is on our 80 and then our deer lease second and the 25 acres we now own over at home 10...I walked over the newly acquired 15 acres there yesterday evening and jumped 10 bedded does...

Congrats!

Native, you nailed it in my opinion. It looks like a great pinch point between the back of that inset and the creek. You could improve it even more by felling a few trees to steer deer traveling e-w to an even narrower gap. Seems like I would hunt it on either a north or a south wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Paradise. That's kind of how I was thinking too - also just taking the chainsaw and making a trail.

Congrats on the new land! Looks very promising and gives you options! I love options because you can move around to keep from burning an area out and you get to hunt different deer which is why we will keep our 1500 acre deer lease until they boot us off. Right now my primary hunting is on our 80 and then our deer lease second and the 25 acres we now own over at home 10...I walked over the newly acquired 15 acres there yesterday evening and jumped 10 bedded does...

Congrats!

That's cool on the 10 does Johnny. Sounds like they love bedding there.

Yes, I agree on having different options. Another thing I like about this property is how thick the turkeys are. I also have a huge area to the north and west owned by family members who don't hunt, and I have free run of all that. This place belonged to my grandparents on my mother's side, and luckily family still owns it all....

How are you going to access this new property?

deer patch, if you look to the north and slightly east, you see a house with some other buildings around it. That is where my uncle lives who owns most of the rest of the original farm. A blacktop road comes up to that house and ends. From that house, if you go straight to the south, there is a right of way (dirt road) that follows the edge of the woods right to the little inset field. That is my official right of way per the deeds, but really I can come in from anywhere - of course I wouldn't want to drive in the fields when soybeans were growing. It really is great access.

Usually when I'm turkey hunting back there in the spring, I just walk in from his house. Sometimes when I kill a turkey back at the end of the place I will walk out and then drive my truck back and load it.

At one spot you can drive all the way to the creek bank with a 4 wheel drive. It's beautiful down there. Sometimes I will go all the way down to the creek when turkey hunting, and you will almost always see otters. I've set in camo on the gravel bars and had them to come out on the bank within 10 feet of me. I watched one eat a fish like a candy bar like that once, and it was cool.

That creek is also covered with ducks most of the time, and there are excellent fishing holes all up and down through there.

Congrats on the new "Habitat Land".......for pears, persimmons, applies, and maybe a barn quilt or two.
Now let me get this straight......KY has a ONE buck limit, right?
I hope you can get more gobblers than that.

Congrats on the new "Habitat Land".......for pears, persimmons, applies, and maybe a barn quilt or two.
Now let me get this straight......KY has a ONE buck limit, right?
I hope you can get more gobblers than that.

That's right Lak - one buck limit. My son wants to start getting a doe to eat in early ML season, and we can do that here or at another place my dad owns. That will keep from getting them upset on my 100.

We can take 2 gobblers in the spring and two more in the fall. I may have to miss a lot of turkey hunting this year due to work. I have to be in Florida working the day before season opens, and not sure how much time I will have during season.

PS: I'm in the southern part of your state tonight and headed back home late tomorrow afternoon - probably will go back half way tomorrow unless I'm feeling really froggy to drive more.

Here are some pics of the new place from yesterday. I hadn't walked down to the creek for a long time there, and it wouldn't take hardly anything to get a drivable road down there. But, I'm in no hurry to start doing any work here - maybe in a few years. For now, I have my hand full doing all I want to do on my other place.

If we do anything here this year, we might hunt during ML season for an eating deer - if I get the new ML built in time. I think a guy could set in the middle of the field and watch the edges and take a fat doe. And, if I have any time to turkey hunt, of course I will be there some. When I drove up yesterday, two big toms were out in the field. But, I already know I have to miss the first day of season this year. I will be driving home from a work trip in Florida.

Looks great! I love the creek. It seems that water really enhances a property more than anything for wildlife and human enjoyment!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Back