Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Beautiful. Love the creek also. Looks like some good wood duck hunting.

Yes, I see lots of different kinds of ducks down there when I'm turkey hunting.

Another thing I see is otters. Two different times I've set down on the creek bank in camo and had them come out on the bank with me. There was a big one 10 feet away eating a fish three years ago, and it left with another big one. Then another time two young ones came out on the bank too. There is something peaceful about a creek bank.

NH I've been busy so I apologize for not getting back after your reply. Sounds like your mainly going to turkey hunt this and maybe take a doe or two. Don't take that wrong because I love to turkey as much or more than I do deer hunting and actually bought my land because it had both turkey and deer. Do you have any concern on deer busting you on the way out? I have a plot that is in a similar setup but come time to leave in the evening I just howl like a coyote and clear the plot and this seems not to affect the deer movement at all.

I blew up your pic and can see your travel route around the field edge after you pointed it out.

I was going to ask for some pics but you beat me to it. The pics looks like a great place to see all kinds of animals and in the first pic I can see deer tracks in the sand. On the otters they may be a neat thing to watch but they can be very hard on the fish population. They can catch a three pound bass with no trouble. Running water can cover up some noise if you make some in the stand while hunting.

Nice small acreage especially with the stream. No doubt in my mind that you will eat those words of not doing any management on the property. My money is good it happens before end of year.:)

I would like to wade fish that creek...only thing I wish we had on our place.

Johnny, I used to really be into wade fishing, and I have the feeling that when I retire and have more time I will be back into it again.

Our streams have smallmouths, rock bass (redeye), catfish, KY bass, shellcrackers, bream, and a few others.

NH I've been busy so I apologize for not getting back after your reply. Sounds like your mainly going to turkey hunt this and maybe take a doe or two. Don't take that wrong because I love to turkey as much or more than I do deer hunting and actually bought my land because it had both turkey and deer. Do you have any concern on deer busting you on the way out? I have a plot that is in a similar setup but come time to leave in the evening I just howl like a coyote and clear the plot and this seems not to affect the deer movement at all.

I blew up your pic and can see your travel route around the field edge after you pointed it out.

I was going to ask for some pics but you beat me to it. The pics looks like a great place to see all kinds of animals and in the first pic I can see deer tracks in the sand. On the otters they may be a neat thing to watch but they can be very hard on the fish population. They can catch a three pound bass with no trouble. Running water can cover up some noise if you make some in the stand while hunting.

deer patch, I would have concern of spooking deer if I drove in, but a lot less walking in. And, I can always just cut through the field about anywhere I want to if walking.

I noticed those deer tracks too. It was also easy to see where they were climbing the banks. It looks like a lot of traffic here from deer crossing the creek which makes sense. Either way you go from this spot, you run into extremely steep banks. My land is the only place on the original farm that has a spot where is levels out some.

Nice small acreage especially with the stream. No doubt in my mind that you will eat those words of not doing any management on the property. My money is good it happens before end of year.:)

You and weasel know me pretty well, and you could be right. But since I'm going to let them keep farming the fields, I don't have a lot I can really do except build stands or cut trees. So, time will tell, but I kind of like leaving it like it is for a while.

Plus, I have lots of work planned for my 100 and just so much limited time. I have about 20+ more trees coming that will have to be set and caged, plus all the mowing, grafting and other jobs already planned. The company is working me like a borrowed mule, so we will see.

On top of that, I'm helping my son with his small property that joins my 100 that he bought recently. I have some gates to put up for soybean farming and cleaning up to do where the former owner left some junk. I also will need to mow some on his place.

I really think a great way to ML hunt the creek property for deer would be to set a turkey blind up on the high spot in the field and hunt the timber edges. It would also be better than dragging one up the hill from the creek....:)

Last edited:
Nice pics from the new place, looks peaceful. Wow, those cherries ought to get off to a good start with those roots.

Nice pics from the new place, looks peaceful. Wow, those cherries ought to get off to a good start with those roots.

Thanks weasel. It is a nice place for a little solitude.

I usually don't have good luck with unusual fruit but with those roots my hope is up.

The chicory I planted last fall is coming up, but the dang deer are mowing it right off at the ground line. This is the closest I have ever seen them browse it. Now that they have learned what it is, they are on it like bird dogs:

I have some Fixation Clover showing from last fall. Anxious to see how this does. I mixed it with other clovers, and they have been eating it close already too.

They can't keep up with the wheat, but they are trying:

Dang rodents eat my little chestnut roots:

But not to worry. I haven't counted them but have probably 25 chestnuts this size or larger that are producing.

Nice white oak I walked by today.

The old spring near the barn. Runs a heck of a stream even in the worst of droughts.

Crazy good growth from a crabapple set spring of 2014. This tree is putting out wood instead of apples so far. That's fine with me. I would rather them do that than start fruiting too quickly. When it starts fruiting, watch out for a bumper crop.

Poor sweetgum. It got a whack and a drink of gly. Only 5,000 left to go.

I set 6 dandy nursery grown seedling persimmons which I got for a $3.50 each. I can graft them later on if desired or just let them grow. Also planted 4 grafted persimmons. I have 11 more trees ordered that will come in April. This is the last year I will set many trees. If I ever set more than 4 or 5 from here on out, I will be shocked - maybe just a replacement or two if something dies. Finally where I need to be (and past that point) with fruit and nut trees - no more needed.

That's all folks. Will be glad to get the last 11 trees in the ground in April.

Congrats on reaching the tree milestone. Maybe you should burn the last packing slip in the fruit orchard.
New property looks sweet.
I had the same thing with chestnuts i grew in the garden. I planted them about this time last year. Grew them all season. And was within a month of digging them up to set out on the property when varmints ate the roots.:mad:

"No more trees"
Read my lips.
Good luck with those native sweet gum. We need to develop a use for them and kudzu.

Last year was the first year I have planted chicory in about 8 years at my place. I was a little disappointed on the lack of browse last year but like you they have figured it out now. They are eating it as soon as it is emerging along with the red and white clover. I planted crimson in this plot also 3 years ago before I turned it into a perennial and even though it is an annual I had quite a bit crimson pop up last spring. Doesn't last long but sure is a heavy seed producer. Of all the clovers I do think Crimson is my favorite to look at but not as preferred as the red and white.

I hear ya on the trees. I do believe this year is my last year. Like you I am where I want to be. I grafted 11 of my 25 potted pear seedlings yesterday. I will graft a few more tomorrow. I have planted about a dozen trees so far this winter and next year I will have close to 50 trees to plant then I am done. I'm tired of watering 50 or so seedlings at the house--especially in the summer.

I love springs. I have a creek but it is a run off creek from a flood control pond on the neighbors so only has water actually running when the ponds spillway is over flowing. Your wheat looks great. If we could get a decent rain here in Oklahoma mine would get like that in a hurry but we are dry dry dry!

todd

Congrats on reaching the tree milestone. Maybe you should burn the last packing slip in the fruit orchard.
New property looks sweet.
I had the same thing with chestnuts i grew in the garden. I planted them about this time last year. Grew them all season. And was within a month of digging them up to set out on the property when varmints ate the roots.:mad:

That's a bummer Fish. How many did you have?

"No more trees"
Read my lips.
Good luck with those native sweet gum. We need to develop a use for them and kudzu.

Lak, my grandpaw used to say that sweet gum was the best lumber to use for sheeting barn roofs, because it didn't eat the nails up over time like oak did. With today's screws, I doubt that is a factor anymore.

Last year was the first year I have planted chicory in about 8 years at my place. I was a little disappointed on the lack of browse last year but like you they have figured it out now. They are eating it as soon as it is emerging along with the red and white clover. I planted crimson in this plot also 3 years ago before I turned it into a perennial and even though it is an annual I had quite a bit crimson pop up last spring. Doesn't last long but sure is a heavy seed producer. Of all the clovers I do think Crimson is my favorite to look at but not as preferred as the red and white.

I hear ya on the trees. I do believe this year is my last year. Like you I am where I want to be. I grafted 11 of my 25 potted pear seedlings yesterday. I will graft a few more tomorrow. I have planted about a dozen trees so far this winter and next year I will have close to 50 trees to plant then I am done. I'm tired of watering 50 or so seedlings at the house--especially in the summer.

I love springs. I have a creek but it is a run off creek from a flood control pond on the neighbors so only has water actually running when the ponds spillway is over flowing. Your wheat looks great. If we could get a decent rain here in Oklahoma mine would get like that in a hurry but we are dry dry dry!

todd

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you Todd. I've been planting trees off and on for weeks, and getting weary of it. Planting is not that hard, but the cages and mats get old. I didn't cage the 6 persimmon seedlings. I've never seen a deer rub a persimmon, so taking my chances on those cheap trees.

Yes, my wheat has had plenty of rain. I didn't realize you guys were that dry out there right now. I hope it changes for you soon.

That spring runs into a branch that also starts on my land. The picture I posted shows where the spring comes out of the ground. I've never seen it run low in my entire life.....

Reallyliked the rock spring. I could feel the cool area around it on a hot summer day. Congrats on the tree milestone.:)
" Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit in." --- Greek proverb

Reallyliked the rock spring. I could feel the cool area around it on a hot summer day. Congrats on the tree milestone.:)
" Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit in." --- Greek proverb

There is a century old sugar maple about 30 yards away just to the right of the spring in that picture. It does make a cool place to check trail camera pictures on a hot day.

You don't think you will find any places to put just a few trees between now and next spring? Will you have anything to top work after we finish this year? Do you think we will be close to ready in the next couple weeks? I know that cold spell put a hold on it for me anyways.

Back