Winter 2019 trapping finally begins...

I set my first sets yesterday and today I had 3 possums and 1 raccoon. All in dog proofs. Hopefully more the next few days.

93eafe267e00697ac482277e4d69c5f1.jpg
b512c37ffc7cc1675d82d22d4e7998c2.jpg

Some from yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter is on Christmas break from college and asked if I would leave the traps set so she could run them this week. Got to love a daughter willing to hunt and trap without me having to ask her first!! Nothing yesterday but this is from today.

3761b7a2d31d8d13c3652e853acc3597.jpg

564721bd2ef07fefc9e4ef4d00095ad6.jpg

Last edited:
My daughter is on Christmas break from college and asked if I would leave the traps set so she could run them this week. Got to love a daughter willing to hunt and trap without me having to ask her first!! Nothing yesterday but this is from today.

3761b7a2d31d8d13c3652e853acc3597.jpg

564721bd2ef07fefc9e4ef4d00095ad6.jpg

What are you baiting with?
I have been using mini marshmallows...

What are you baiting with?
I have been using mini marshmallows...

Sardines in soybean oil. The ones with water loose there smell to quick. I use about a half of one crumbled up and make sure all of it is below the trigger. If the sardine is above the trigger where they can reach it, they will grab it and go to the next trap or leave all together. If you get cattle one day and supplement feed them with any type of sweet feed, you can use it around your trough feeders and catch them pretty easy.

Since I’ve switched to sardines, I’ve caught coon, opossum and skunks all in the dog prof traps.

5th raccoon...gonna switch to sardines for bait after this weekend. Apparently have a monsoon coming in followed by snow...

7bd453e2ca9ea8b8f7c966fd88751271.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You gotta be careful trapping amongst small brush/trees like that. Coons will get wrapped up in them and use them as leverage to break their own wrists and escape from the traps.

I use dry cat food with just a little fish oil mixed in.

Same here, caught hundreds that way. Much easier to clean too than any wet bait. The only things you have to watch is the mice and rain, which is where the solo cup cover comes in.

Okie...Have you had any success with the sardines and have you set any around that 4 port feeder?

I had mine set for 6 nights and caught 7 coons, 5 opossum and 1 skunk a couple weeks ago.

Okie...Have you had any success with the sardines and have you set any around that 4 port feeder?

I had mine set for 6 nights and caught 7 coons, 5 opossum and 1 skunk a couple weeks ago.
I have not. I had 1 day on the dozer this week and a day of running around I had to do and then I tried to start a new Blood pressure medication that really screwed me up the past 2 days but now I have that sorted out and have to go Brushhog a place today before this next volley of rains moves in tonight. The last 2 coon pictures I have in this thread we’re caught near the 4 port area but I took that feeder down and put in a regular old Moultry slinger feeder to cut down on corn cost and the last coon I had a picture of is the last one in this thread. My traps are not set now because I have not had time to run them but I hope to reset them possibly Saturday with the new bait. I did have a possum in one 3 days ago...

I have not. I had 1 day on the dozer this week and a day of running around I had to do and then I tried to start a new Blood pressure medication that really screwed me up the past 2 days but now I have that sorted out and have to go Brushhog a place today before this next volley of rains moves in tonight. The last 2 coon pictures I have in this thread we’re caught near the 4 port area but I took that feeder down and put in a regular old Moultry slinger feeder to cut down on corn cost and the last coon I had a picture of is the last one in this thread. My traps are not set now because I have not had time to run them but I hope to reset them possibly Saturday with the new bait. I did have a possum in one 3 days ago...

At least your not getting anymore pics of coons. Maybe they moved on since you changed feeders but I was hoping you would catch them all. Temps are going to to cold here for good movement, the warmer the night the better movement we get here.

Looks like your getting pretty good with the new dozer.

Moving on is Ok by me but I would have liked to get a couple more. I will reset traps tomorrow after the rains move out with the sardines but it’s still gonna be pretty cold.
I thing every time I get on that yellow beast I learn something new. I wanted to use it several days this week but I was under the weather horribly on the best 2 days we had which was Tuesday and Wednesday and then yesterday I had a Brushhog job and now the monsoon has set in so dozing will be out for awhile...

Any luck?
Not a single coon caught but in defense of that we have had a big surge in cold weather with temps in the teens most every night since I set them and 30’s during the day. I figure they are holed up... I did catch a skunk last night in a live trap in our backyard :(

Not a single coon caught but in defense of that we have had a big surge in cold weather with temps in the teens most every night since I set them and 30’s during the day. I figure they are holed up... I did catch a skunk last night in a live trap in our backyard :(

Temps are not your friend right now. After having nothing on cameras for two weeks after pulling traps, I have a pair of coons that have already moved in from the adjoining properties. So before season is over i will set them a few more times to try and help during turkey nesting season.

I had a pair of coons coming in to that slinger feeder I put in place of the 4 port the 2 nights before I reset my traps there but unfortunately it was warm when I had the coon pictures and has been in the teens at night since then...

Back