Winter 2019 trapping finally begins...

Finally caught 1 of the 2 raccoons I had on cam last night...1 to go and then I have no more on any of my cams...

Glad to here that you only have one left on camera. I forgot to mention that when I check my traps, that I will freshen each one with a little bit of sardines just to keep the scent their.

I have done that as well every 3 days or so. My camera only gets coon pictures about once a week. I believe I have caught 7 raccoons so far...

How do y’all use sardines for bait in a DP trap? Just dump them in the bottom from the can?

How do y’all use sardines for bait in a DP trap? Just dump them in the bottom from the can?

I have never tried sardines in my dp traps. I do use coon grabbers in the bottom of mine now and if one works the trap at all he is caught because they can’t resist them. They come in many different great scents. If you don’t use them I recommend buying the variety pack and giving them a try. I use cat food, I bought some coon chum to try this year as well. I use marshmallows mostly but I have also used the apple flavored corn with decent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put mine in a jar and mixed it up into a gumbo and keep it in the frig and take it with me out there when I check traps and use a plastic spoon to put a little dolup under the trigger. Caught 1 coon and 1 possum so far like this. Caught 6. Oops with mini marshmallows but decided to change it up. When I check the trap I shake the old sardine out right in front of the trap and put fresh in it each time...

I wear a latex glove and just pinch off about a 1/3 to 1/2 of one and smash it up with my fingers and drop it under the trigger. Then I keep the container in a ziplock freezer bag to keep it from getting all over my clothes. I always freshen the trap daily also.

I have never tried sardines in my dp traps. I do use coon grabbers in the bottom of mine now and if one works the trap at all he is caught because they can’t resist them. They come in many different great scents. If you don’t use them I recommend buying the variety pack and giving them a try. I use cat food, I bought some coon chum to try this year as well. I use marshmallows mostly but I have also used the apple flavored corn with decent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long does the coon grabbers hold their scent when in the trap and in the elements such as rain?

I just looked up the coon grabber thing. I keep envisioning shad scented gummies. I wonder how much trouble a guy would get into if he slipped some of those into the cookie jar? :) (likely worth it)

My all time favorite attractant scent for coons is anise oil.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How long does the coon grabbers hold their scent when in the trap and in the elements such as rain?
I had some that I left out in the elements last year and I could still smell it after being outside for a year. I know mine lasted all season last year, I only had to swap one out that got tore up and one that went missing somehow after it caught the coon.

I had some that I left out in the elements last year and I could still smell it after being outside for a year. I know mine lasted all season last year, I only had to swap one out that got tore up and one that went missing somehow after it caught the coon.

I just looked up the coon grabber thing. I keep envisioning shad scented gummies. I wonder how much trouble a guy would get into if he slipped some of those into the cookie jar? :) (likely worth it)

My all time favorite attractant scent for coons is anise oil.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I really like the anise oil scented coon grabbers.

My local trapper caught a gray fox right by my property this week,He's caught hundreds of coyotes and thats the first gray he's heard of in Kansas

Back