Will fire control Smartweed?

I fought smartweed in all of my clover plots this summer. Finally gave up on my oldest plot and just tried to keep it mowed down, but in the end, the smartweed won. From what I've read, fire will pretty much kill the smartweed off permanently (if that's even possible). Anyone here have experience with burning smartweed? I am thinking late winter/early spring, assuming that the burn will work while the smartweed is dormant.

I have never used fire to combat smartweed....so I am interested in seeing what this thread comes up with. The thing I find is with smartweed...it's about A - not letting it go to seed and B- drying out the ground. I seem to only have smartweed in areas where I have little pockets of soil that will hold moisture (clay in the soil or shaded depressions). I have killed it with gly and it just comes back...from seed I assume. I have not tried any 2,4D-B....yet. I share your pain in combating smartweed in clover......

I fought smartweed in all of my clover plots this summer. Finally gave up on my oldest plot and just tried to keep it mowed down, but in the end, the smartweed won. From what I've read, fire will pretty much kill the smartweed off permanently (if that's even possible). Anyone here have experience with burning smartweed? I am thinking late winter/early spring, assuming that the burn will work while the smartweed is dormant.
Fire won't control it, besides, you will probably have difficulty burning off a clover plot, unless you have a tremendous amount of tall dead weeds and grasses. Smartweed is actually easy to control in clover, just spray 4-6 oz per acre of imazethapyr 2SL on it this spring when it's 3" tall. I've posted so extensively about this product that I'm wearing people out here, so look it up, and under it's other trade name (Thunder) on this site, just do a search and read some of my stuff if you want an easy fix. (people are probably starting to think that I work for the company)

We bought 18 acres of farm fields that we are going to let revert back to emergent forest. The first winter we frost seeded white clover. That spring it did not look like anything was happening. By the end of that first summer we had a really good catch of clover, and by fall the whole thing was cover in Smartweed. We did not do anything, but mow a few areas we are going to keep open for trails and a few orchard\food plots. Fast forward to year 2 and the clover is so thick, I think it choked out the Smartweed, because there is none of it left. This year there was a bunch of white Aster that came up, but not to thick. The clover is doing really good.Field-1.jpg Field-2.jpg

Attachments

• Field-1.jpg
    Field-1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • Field-2.jpg
    Field-2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Field-1.jpg
    Field-1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0
Fire won't control it, besides, you will probably have difficulty burning off a clover plot, unless you have a tremendous amount of tall dead weeds and grasses. Smartweed is actually easy to control in clover, just spray 4-6 oz per acre of imazethapyr 2SL on it this spring when it's 3" tall. I've posted so extensively about this product that I'm wearing people out here, so look it up, and under it's other trade name (Thunder) on this site, just do a search and read some of my stuff if you want an easy fix. (people are probably starting to think that I work for the company)

I don’t think you work for them MM, but I do think that you have an alter ego as HERBICIDEMAN who only comes out when the public needs you to vanquish the many undesirable weeds that us plotters are always finding. Iffen you wear tights and a cape, :eek: please don’t post that picture !:D:D:D

I don’t think you work for them MM, but I do think that you have an alter ego as HERBICIDEMAN who only comes out when the public needs you to vanquish the many undesirable weeds that us plotters are always finding. Iffen you wear tights and a cape, :eek: please don’t post that picture !:D:D:D
Got a new kind of pesticide in this red can for you guys. And you can't see the tights, so this picture should be ok? The only cape I've got is off the buck I shot, and I won't be wearing that, and I promise I won't come out again until another weed needs smokin.
b9301c2f7fdf66a0f2013b9c6f710a13.jpg

Not to derail but what is the gizmo on the back of the four wheeler?
That's a Herd spinner seeder, to broadcast seeds for a throw n mow, frost seeding clover, or any other seeds you want to spread. Brassica, buckwheat, grain, or soybeans can all be seeded with this thing, and it's more consistent than a hand seeder. It holds 50 lbs.

I can't get fire to carry through smartweed.I was told danvil and 24D but I think that will kill about everything

That's a Herd spinner seeder, to broadcast seeds for a throw n mow, frost seeding clover, or any other seeds you want to spread. Brassica, buckwheat, grain, or soybeans can all be seeded with this thing, and it's more consistent than a hand seeder. It holds 50 lbs.

The fixture to hold the seeder,is it factory?

The fixture to hold the seeder,is it factory?
Yes, it's all factory, except that I welded a 1/2" loop to the bottom to protect the motor and give a base to set it on. That's the piece that's you see by the back tire. The factory design is kind of stupid, it gives you nothing to set the unit on except the wires on the bottom of the motor. It's a Kasco HERD Model GT-77-ATV seeder. I've probably planted 50 acres with this unit already without any trouble.
629ef6ff8006e03803beeaafd0793976.jpg

Last edited:
Back