"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Well I awoke this morning and imagine my joy when I saw a 60% chance of rain for tomorrow! I quickly dressed and grabbed what I had left of Barduro red clover and a new ladder stand and headed across the road to overseed and put up a stand on our south plot. I noticed while over there the feeders had 0 use and I found out why...

c273ee09628a5a763a4be466bef18ff2.jpg

White oak acorns are officially in drop mode...I guess it's just as well the plots are struggling because they will see zero use until acorns are gone and since we and neighbors have 1000's of white oaks it is going to be awhile...

b4c702cb93b12571d688e8a7af01f4cb.jpg

e9c9d2742bed0b701cfc0dc943d226e7.jpg

Put the new stand up to mainly catch deer coming to water...

460a844942a45009d8edb26dc553fc7d.jpg

04a243e3263ab78545b84a6afa4292de.jpg

0a4c9e16292ce3eb487ce7dae46ed0e3.jpg

9b4e8d13b494f9866cce14743ce58743.jpg

ee27006bd50ec000e78c752124f0a3c2.jpg

Water holes getting lots of use with these 90+ degree days...

29fd825c9855ac1da1546d5eb8919c45.jpg

28f1085e31c6f63c491dea516bbedc91.jpg

I checked weather when I got back in from the field and now have seen our rain chance drop to 30% and our 50# chance we had for Tuesday drop to 20% and our next 50% chance will be a week from Monday with 90's all the way through...I wouldn't make it as a farmer because I would be having a stroke right now...

Looks like Kansas is and Missouri is getting ready to get some nice rain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep couldn't fig why camera cards showed so few deer. Was in woods yesterday putting up a ladder stand and the ground was covered with acorns. Good for deer, tough for patterning for me this year. Hope you get rain, we've been dry by total amounts but get showers which has saved me.

Well, its official! Oklahoma weather absolutely sucks this year...we totally missed out on rain again with a really nice big storm just tracking right across Kansas and Missouri and even the Fair Grove, Missouri area as I type this... 90+ degree temps for another week and then another small shot for rain Monday the 25th...no fall,winter plots this year...

Yikes. Hate to hear that. We are planting Tuesday so I will be checking rain chances more often. I ran chisel over the plots last thursday
rsz_20170914_111518.jpg

Mine is 18+ a 2 ft dovetail. Crazy thing it was only about 100 buck extra for the 2 extra feet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Amazing thing happened! God smiled upon us and let the tail of that Kansas/missouri rain drop down into Oklahoma and we got 2/10's of rain here on the Hollow with more headed this way it looks like! Woo hoo!!!!!

I have been throwing rye grain seed like crazy to get it in front of this next line of storms here in our backyard plot!

Amazing thing happened! God smiled upon us and let the tail of that Kansas/missouri rain drop down into Oklahoma and we got 2/10's of rain here on the Hollow with more headed this way it looks like! Woo hoo!!!!!

I have been throwing rye grain seed like crazy to get it in front of this next line of storms here in our backyard plot!

It had been 26 days since I had rain and a storm passed over our farm today. Won't know how much we got till farm logs report in the morning. More forecasted for tomorrow. We planted an acre of large ladino and chickory on Friday so glad it rained.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

It had been 26 days since I had rain and a storm passed over our farm today. Won't know how much we got till farm logs report in the morning. More forecasted for tomorrow. We planted an acre of large ladino and chickory on Friday so glad it rained.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Had been 31 days since we had rain...I planted my plot 30 days ago...

Had been 31 days since we had rain...I planted my plot 30 days ago...

I still haven't got my fall plots in yet. Had a bit of murphy's luck as well, tractor down and other issues. Just as well cause we've had no rain either, got between .25 & .5 last yesterday. Gonna have to work some food plot OT soon to get it all in.

I have a number of white oaks dropping at my house. Pretty surprised actually b/c we are just under 3 weeks before our season even opens...

I still haven't got my fall plots in yet. Had a bit of murphy's luck as well, tractor down and other issues. Just as well cause we've had no rain either, got between .25 & .5 last yesterday. Gonna have to work some food plot OT soon to get it all in.
Tractor downtime is always a fear of mine but mine has been flawless...can't say the same for 3 point equipment...Rhino Brushhog needs parts so I had to finish the brushhogging season with an old light duty Cimarron Brushhog that I had retired because the deck is so ripped up I have to use straps to hold it in place and pour grease in it every time I use it...

Congrats on the rain!
What are you planning on planting this late? Grains only?

I have a number of white oaks dropping at my house. Pretty surprised actually b/c we are just under 3 weeks before our season even opens...
They are certainly dropping early here. Acorns are well formed and sinking when placed in water so they are good...My sawtooth acorns started dropping same time my white oaks started dropping...red oaks are not taking drought real well and I notice several more of ours top killing. Trees are over 100 years old and these last 6 or 7 years have done most of the Reds in...

We got .11 Sunday night and .13 yesterday evening. That should get things growing. No significant chance of rain in the 15 day forecast.
We got real lucky here on the hollow to have a small orange cell to pass directly over to give us that initial 2/10's in about 10 minutes because if it hadn't we would have gotten less than 1/10th out of all of it. Our home 10 and deer lease were not so lucky...same county...

Congrats on the 2 showers. If you have good retaining soil like we have in the rocks here on the hollow it will certainly help but if it is sand like our home 10 it will just cause stuff to sprout, wither, and die because the soil dries too fast...

Tractor downtime is always a fear of mine but mine has been flawless

Wish I could say the same. After I get fall plots in & mowing caught up I'll be looking at buying a different tractor, Kubota will be on the short list, don't want anything newer than tier 3 though.

Grains & clover for sure, may reseed some alfalfa as well depending on how soon I can get it down.

Back