Which tree tube

DougG

I am going to be purchasing some tree tubes to protect some young seedlings this spring and I have searched the forum on the subject, and have found some great information. I will probably be ordering from www.treeprotectionsupply.com, but my question is, is one of the tubes better than the other. From the other forum posts, it appears others have used both Tubex and Tree Pro tubes, but is one better than the other for different situations or types of trees? The biggest difference I see between the two appears to be the size of the ventilation holes. I will be planing hazelnut, various oaks and honey locust, and possibly others. I know, based on other posts, that the 5 foot tubes are recommended to reduce browsing. Is it ok to put a small tree in a 5 foot tube, or should they be started in smaller tubes, and then re-tubed as they get bigger?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I use the 5ft combitubes from Tree Protection Supply for everything. 4ft was not high enough, and 6ft was overkill.

I use the 5 ft tubes from TreePro. I like the ones that ship flat. You roll them into a tube and then Zip tie to your post. They are easier to clean out. You can also call TreePro and get discounts on "seconds" that may be slightly off on color or have a few extra holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Does one have any benefit over the other, or is it personal preference, and environmental factor that determine which is best?

I use the 5ft combitubes from Tree Protection Supply for everything. 4ft was not high enough, and 6ft was overkill.

That's what I use also. I have had very good luck with the combitubes. If you order from them send them an e-mail and tell them to include the mesh covers. You have to request them and they are free. Keeps birds from getting down in them and also wasps!

Does one have any benefit over the other, or is it personal preference, and environmental factor that determine which is best?

There is definitely data that shows a growth increase with some tree species (not all) when using tubes. I don't believe there is any definitive data that would suggest one type or one brand of tube is better than another. I look at at cost and what fits best with the way I do things.

There is definitely data that shows a growth increase with some tree species (not all) when using tubes. I don't believe there is any definitive data that would suggest one type or one brand of tube is better than another. I look at at cost and what fits best with the way I do things.

No real data other than planting side by side with and without tubes. In my experience, tubed trees grow tall really fast but when I removed the tube they start adding girth and stop growing tall for a while. I planted two Sawtooth in my yard, one tubed one not. The tubed one got tall and spindly. When I removed the tube and it started gaining girth the other one caught up to it.
So, at first it looked like the tubed tree was going to outgrow the none-tubed. But after 6-8yrs they were both the same.

I bought 500 from tree protection last year and saved a ton by splitting some with another member.There are multiple benefits to tubes,growth,ease of maintenance,protection.I don't plant a hardwood seedling without one just like I don't plant a fruit tree without a cage

I have three different types of tubes and all have their advantages. The Combitubes are great tubes. I have had them for 4+ years and they have held up great to the extreme cold of Minnesota. They have a laser etched seam that will split if you decide to leave tubes on until trunk expands. My most recent tube purchase was Tree Pro. I purchased to tube plum and chokecherries, and do not intend to keep on long term. The Tree Pro do not have the laser etched seam. But the are very high quality with more basic ventilation holes vs. Combitubex.
You definitely want to buy 5' tubes. My 4' tubes allow easy browsing. And no issues with putting 5' tubes on the smallest of seedlings.
Recommend going with the Combitubes for your oaks and hazelnuts.

I am transitioning to cages and mats this year.

My tubes are wasp nurseries and coons then destroy them.

bill

Thanks to Dogdoc recommendation I also got the combitubes. Really like the releasable zip ties as you can remove and clean and reattach without new zip. And they really help with growth of tree. First time using a tube. Hurts the back pocket but worth it with heavy deer pressure. I actually got them cheaper from a company in VA. They are actually one of the manufacturers of the tube and a bit unorganized selling to the public but really nice. Talked to the fellow for half an hour about little of everything. Came out cheaper than Treeprotection who were on backorder at the time, and shipping was cheaper. Got them in 2 days. I'll have to look up name when get home. Good people.

I am transitioning to cages and mats this year.

My tubes are wasp nurseries and coons then destroy them.

bill

Had the same problem.....I plan on spraying for wasps this year to prevent issues

I bought a bunch of 4 ft Blue-X tubes from Isons as they are only about $2 each. I will never buy 4 ft tubes and likely not BlueX as they are a pain to put together. They do seem to work, but I think better options exist.

Thats strange I don't think I have had an issue with coons,I have had a few wasps nest.I have had deer grab them at the top and pull them off stake
Same. I've had some humdinger wasp nest built in them, never had a coon tear one apart though. Maybe our coons don't know any better.

I have 700 five foot Tree Pro Max Grow tubes from treeprotectionsupply.com, bought over several years. big fan of them with PVC stakes. In the summer of 2014 I started noticing tubes being pushed up the stake such that the top zip tie came off and it tipped over. Problem was coons attacking the wasp nest. Occurred on about 70 tubes that summer. only a couple of trees were damaged by breakage, but they lived. And only a couple of tubes were damaged. Really more of a PITA than a big problem. Partially fixed it with a third zip tie in the middle of the tube. That fall I trapped 30 coons and 30 possums off my 120 acres. Next year only a handful of tubes pushed off. Now in 2016 the trees are big enough the tubes can't be pushed up due to limbs above the tube. I have also had some issues with mouse nests and them chewing on the bark. Again, not enough damage to abandon tubes.

I would not buy tubes that have to be assembled. These Tree Pro tubes are pretty tough. As far as small seedlings in 5' tubes, its great for them. In fact I now put 5' tubes over a mere chestnut nut in the ground.

yes, the tall tube results in a spindly tree, but you do NOT take the tube off prematurely. Some trees may start to lean when they come out of the tube, but they will straighten themselves out eventually.

Thanks for all the imput, I will probably go with the combitubes
You won't be disappointed with the combitubes. I've had one tube destroyed by coons---and they destroyed it big time. Have had a couple pushed over and it always occurs when bucks are starting to rub. Bring a few extra zip ties with ya because occasionally one will break when tightening them on the stake. I also recommend using PVC pipe. I get use the gray electrical PVC conduit. I buy the 10 footers and cut them in half. Get 2 stakes for a buck and half at Home Depot.

Got 50 Miracle tubes last month (for Christmas :D). Just got back from Home Depot with 25, 10ft, 1/2", pvc. Total cost was $39 for the 50 pvc stakes.
I got the 4 footers and sounds like i might regret it. I dont have heavy browse pressure, but if they figure out there is a snack at the top of those white tubes i might be in trouble.
Much of my tubing will be on some pin oaks used for screening along the roadway, so i am hoping they see less pressure there.

Back