What to spray to kill ticks

Brushpile

Staff member
My dogs are on Nexguard, but ticks are still a fright, and I'm afraid of tick born illness. The dogs have a brushy play area that is tick infested, and a large portion of the yard also has underground fence that's loaded with ticks, that are then carried in the house where they transfer to people.

What is a safe chemical for spraying brush and lawn, considering the dogs will be turned to the sprayed area?

Bifenthren is about as safe as they come. Give it a couple hours and you should be good. I spray it with my yard chemicals to kill fleas, ants, etc. You can find it most places for about $19 per quart. 1 ounce per gallon is considered "hot". I spray it in Piper's run. I literally have zero problems with fleas on her. Our yard is short so ticks really isn't a problem but I know it works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They sell permethrin at 38% for the yard and garden.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
^^This is what I use. Can be bought at Wallyworld pet section or your feed n farm store. you can buy it in an aerosol can as well. Repel uses the name Permanone, but it's permethrin. I buy the 38% at Nixa Hardware and mix according to the label. I keep a spray bottle in the truck at all times. According to the label it's safe for dogs but they also advise not to apply to your skin. It'll be interesting to hear from dogdoc on this.
One of the nice things about permethrin is it lasts for up to 2 weeks on clothing even after washing.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-16_10-46-33.png
    upload_2017-5-16_10-46-33.png
    63 KB · Views: 0
I always recommend permethrin for spraying around yards and in kennels. Once it is dry it is safe for the pet. However, the best prevention is having your dog on a good flea/tick prevention such as nexgard or bravecto. There are a couple collars that are excellent for ticks also--preventic collar and the seresto collar. Of course there is no way to spray everywhere there are ticks so using one of the flea and tick control products will help with your problem. Like stated spraying your clothing prior to going to the field with permethrin really works. I will spray the night before and hang the clothes in the garage so they are dry in the morning.

I use Nexgard, but one pup was given something different from our vet. It was flea, tick and heartworm pill that lasts 3 months. The pup that is on that medicine is picking up ticks.

I have heard great things about the Seresto collars from the pet store I go to. They are very knowledgeable about their products. One of the ladies there has a dog that got 9 months out of the collar before the effectiveness wore off. I'm going to try one on my lab in the next month or so.

I use Nexgard, but one pup was given something different from our vet. It was flea, tick and heartworm pill that lasts 3 months. The pup that is on that medicine is picking up ticks.

There is no pill that does flea, tick, and heartworm. Bravecto does fleas and ticks (for 3 months), but not heartworm. Just wanted to let you know so you can get him on a heartworm preventative as well.

My dog is on bravecto and she still gets ticks but they die or don't want to stay.Something like this needs to be developed for humans

There is no pill that does flea, tick, and heartworm. Bravecto does fleas and ticks (for 3 months), but not heartworm. Just wanted to let you know so you can get him on a heartworm preventative as well.
Thanks, seeing my local vet in the morning.

Vets around here have been offering a pill that is supposed to do all 3, but IMO, it does 2 really good and the other gets left behind. They usually do fleas and ticks and it lacks in the heart worm dept. I have a few friends that have been getting them for their pets, but end up going back and getting flea/tick treatments and heart worm pills. I have some more friends that tried the flea/tick pills and there pets still had small amounts of fleas and a few ticks. They switched back to the liquid on the neck and got better results.

Vets around here have been offering a pill that is supposed to do all 3, but IMO, it does 2 really good and the other gets left behind. They usually do fleas and ticks and it lacks in the heart worm dept. I have a few friends that have been getting them for their pets, but end up going back and getting flea/tick treatments and heart worm pills. I have some more friends that tried the flea/tick pills and there pets still had small amounts of fleas and a few ticks. They switched back to the liquid on the neck and got better results.

Which product are vets offering that supposedly controls fleas, ticks, and heartworm? Such a product does not exist.

I prescribe Trifexis for dogs who just need flea/heartworm prevention, and Bravecto/ProHeart for dogs who need tick protection as well. The topical preventatives do not work on the South Carolina Lowcountry...our fleas are tough.

I don't have a dog, so I don't know the name. I'll ask the vet next time he comes in my place of employment. I just hear friends talking about the vet giving them a pill for the dog that does all three. Like I said, friends also complain of it not working as good on fleas and ticks as they were told.

I don't have a dog, so I don't know the name. I'll ask the vet next time he comes in my place of employment. I just hear friends talking about the vet giving them a pill for the dog that does all three. Like I said, friends also complain of it not working as good on fleas and ticks as they were told.
Yup, Nexgard works best!

Cutman, of course, is correct. My assumption is they gave your pup bravecto which is a 3 month flea and tick but it is approved for dogs 6 months and older. The problem with giving it to a younger dog is it is based on weight and with a 3 month pill the pup may outgrow the appropriate weight dosage. The active ingredient is in the same family as nexgard. My dogs are on heartgard and nexgard.

Cutman, of course, is correct. My assumption is they gave your pup bravecto which is a 3 month flea and tick but it is approved for dogs 6 months and older. The problem with giving it to a younger dog is it is based on weight and with a 3 month pill the pup may outgrow the appropriate weight dosage. The active ingredient is in the same family as nexgard. My dogs are on heartgard and nexgard.
All but one dog is on Heartgard and Nexgard, and they seem to work better than that 3 month pill, because the dog on the three month pill is still picking up ticks. Ticks are bad this year! I few years ago I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and this February I had a tick cut out of my back. A warm Winter and a cool Summer has caused an infestation.

I am a huge fan of nexgard. Belle and I were at the farm Friday. I picked several ticks off me before they attached and didn't find 1 tick on belle. Nexgard has no repelling properties but I never find an attached tick on her since starting nexgard.

My vet gave Breeze Trifexis! Trifexis kills fleas, prevents heart worms, and treats and controls adult hookworm and whip worm. One pill lasts 3 months. I was told that Trifexis also prevents ticks.

The problem with a three month pill is that I'll likely forget to give it at some point.

Back