what size cages and wire?

Charlieyca

I found some 40" x 90' wire Fence (4"x4" gaps) for 30 bucks a roll. Looks like a good deal, but wasnt sure if it was tall enough to protect shrubs and trees? I have average DPSM. It is located right next to heavy cover but also lots of food around. Would be used to cage both oaks, fruit trees and shrubs. worth it? or is it worth it for the extra 1ft vertically! Also have some 4ft tall on sale but it is 6" gaps and figured deer would just stick their head right through!

I use 48" and that is a minimum. Some of mine 6" gaps and don't see that as problem. I also use screen stapled around base of tree.

Charlie, it's all going to depend on what the size is of what your planting. Just simply consider what the need would be to protect a bare root size tree vs that of a 3 gallon fruit tree. Both height and cage diameter will be grossly affected by what you start with and your desire or willingness to adjust/replace as time progresses. My fruit tree cages are 6 feet or more in diameter and at least 5 feet tall if not 6. That's for planting a 3 gallon tree that is like 5 or 6 feet tall at planting. A bare root type tree or shrub would need something much smaller in the beginning. The 4x4 spacing is fine - your going to have to protect the stem/trunk with a wire mesh of some sort anyway from rodents and the like. Mice and voles can be just as bad for your planting as deer. I have also lifted cages off the ground to a desired height as well - you have to protect against even larger rodents (rabbits) when you do this, but it's possible.

I was thinking most people used 5ft fencing and tubes as a minimum, but thought with a shorter cage if i made it wider (increased diameter) it would serve the same function of limiting browse. All the trees will be bareroot 1 to 2 ft seedlings to start, but I hopefully only have to cage them once. I think i can get the 6x6 mesh in 5ft heights, will just have to do the math to see if bigger cage that is smaller diameter will be easier or as efficient.

I have even seen folks put chicken wire over the top to keep the deer from reaching down inside the cage as well. More than one way to skin a cat!

I would use at least 16', especially with short wire. I would consider going larger, with such short wire, especially for fruit trees.

I use 4ft wire and raise it 1ft off the ground to make the height 5ft. I like this because it allows me to reach under the cage to pull any unwanted weeds and easily cut any root suckers.

I have been making my cages diameter 16". When you make them larger, won't the apples fall within the cages where the deer can't get to them?

I have been making my cages diameter 16". When you make them larger, won't the apples fall within the cages where the deer can't get to them?
some will but when my trees get large enough to produce then I remove the large cage and just put a smaller cage around the tree to prevent rubbing.

I used 15ft of concrete mesh (6x6" openings) which is 5ft tall. I supported it with 5ft of 1/2" electrical conduit and it did the job it needed to. My trees were planted in spring 2013 and the pears are now big enough to have the cage size reduced so that the fruit can fall outside the cage and just protect from rubbing bucks as dogdoc mentions. The only issue I ever had using that method was a bear or two.

I plan on removing big cages in favor of small ones to prevent rubs once my trees get to that point as well. My question is what point is that and how big are your "rub" cages.

I plan on removing big cages in favor of small ones to prevent rubs once my trees get to that point as well. My question is what point is that and how big are your "rub" cages.

Most of my pears are 15+ ft now so they are well out of the reach of deer mouths. I plan to make the cages be about 12" in diameter.

Is it really necessary to make the cage smaller over time to keep fruits out? Anyone ever had a deer or bear tear up a cage trying to get fruit on the inside. I think im going to try the 4ft cage with 6x6 gaps and use 16ft of wire to make a little wider.

Is it really necessary to make the cage smaller over time to keep fruits out? Anyone ever had a deer or bear tear up a cage trying to get fruit on the inside. I think im going to try the 4ft cage with 6x6 gaps and use 16ft of wire to make a little wider.
I have had a bear tear one up but he also tore up the tree. I just don't want to see fruit wasted on the ground inside the cage if there's a way around it (which there is) so I'll reduce my cage sizes now that my trees are large enough.

I've used concrete mesh for cages (6" x 6" gaps). I can assure you deer will stick there heads through it--and destroy them when they get their heads stuck.

Back