What is this shrub?

j-bird

What is this?

How do I transplant/promote it to grow in other areas?

I have this plant on my place in a few areas, but they are all the same sort of location. Areas near a stream in wooded yet partially open areas where it gets some light. The soil is typically damp. It produces a white "flower" if you will. The deer seem to browse it some as well. I tend to not have many "shrubs" so something that grows on my place is grossly appreciated..... This one is 10 feet across and that high as well. The lower limbs don;t seem to have leaves, but not because from deer browse, but just naturally (maybe a lack of light). It's not a sumac that I am familiar with.....
shrub 1.jpg

shrub 2.jpg

shrub 3.jpg

shrub 4.jpg

You can go to a bush, take your shovel and get some roots. They start easily that way. Just separate a mature plant into pieces and they take off fast.

I took a small cutting off of a creek side elderberry this past March , and put it into a pot of soil, and placed it into a shallow tray full of water. This bare twig broke dormancy a few days later,developed leaves and greened up. I transplanted it into my backyard nature patch in may, and now it's sending up new shoots in its safety cage. I'm going to do a lot more of this next year, I want a more of them. Here's a pic of the new growth- new shoots are pale green versus the dark green earlier leaves. Based on what I've seen root sprouts do, I hope it gets a couple of feet tall this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
25e627cfd5cab67a0458dabe3c16f4fb.jpg

Last edited:
Cool - I had no idea. I have several large bushes like this. Are the lower limbs bare typical? From deer browse or just natural part of how they grow?

I take cuttings before they break dormancy and stick them in the ground. They usually bloom and produce berries that same yr.

Good ole elderberry. They do a good job of spreaing from seed on my Indiana dirt.

I have found they definitely like to be watered at least until they are well established. I grew some from cuttings, like has already been said they root easily in a damp environment, all mine died that werent watered though was transplanted. Keep in mind a normal year for us is around 30" of precip though.

I have found they definitely like to be watered at least until they are well established. I grew some from cuttings, like has already been said they root easily in a damp environment, all mine died that werent watered though was transplanted. Keep in mind a normal year for us is around 30" of precip though.
I got my hands full with enough projects at the moment. I may simply make some cuttings, put them in the ground, flag them and see what happens. I will be doing this in a creek bottom in an area that tends to have fairly damp soils as it is. If they make it great - if they don't maybe I try growing them in pots for a year or so next year.....Having the mature bushes already affords me some time to play around with them when I can. Besides - I got plans for some crab-apples to be planting this fall as well......that is if my good buddy turkey creek comes thru for me!;)

Yep, I've got one of those wet areas too, maybe I should suppress the grass that grows there and start an elderberry thicket or two- they already grow around the margins of this spot in the creek banks, maybe I can get some to fill in.

I took a small cutting off of a creek side elderberry this past March , and put it into a pot of soil, and placed it into a shallow tray full of water. This bare twig broke dormancy a few days later,developed leaves and greened up. I transplanted it into my backyard nature patch in may, and now it's sending up new shoots in its safety cage. I'm going to do a lot more of this next year, I want a more of them. Here's a pic of the new growth- new shoots are pale green versus the dark green earlier leaves. Based on what I've seen root sprouts do, I hope it gets a couple of feet tall this season.

25e627cfd5cab67a0458dabe3c16f4fb.jpg

Thought I might check back on this thread to compare growth. Today's pic:
cf97f7757fb4b0b1f97830434541aac7.jpg

It's about 20" tall, and I wouldn't be surprised if it tried blooming yet this summer.

It's about 20" tall, and I wouldn't be surprised if it tried blooming yet this summer.

What the cage for?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D You think it's going to run away????:p:p:p:p:p

I'm going to try to get some cutting off my plants this winter and get them started in other areas on my place. We will see how that goes.

What the cage for?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D You think it's going to run away????:p:p:p:p:p

I'm going to try to get some cutting off my plants this winter and get them started in other areas on my place. We will see how that goes.

Protection from my yardbirds. I was getting my bootlaces pecked by my chickens as I squatted to take the photo. Dang things think they're velociraptors!

I'm gonna keep doing this, as long as this sucker keeps growing at this rate. Previous photo is 13 days old, now it's well over the top of the cage.
9e9526acb63a273e947435388e9b4739.jpg

Back