What is this shrub?

I'm gonna keep doing this, as long as this sucker keeps growing at this rate. Previous photo is 13 days old, now it's well over the top of the cage.
9e9526acb63a273e947435388e9b4739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Like J-bird said, it wants to get out!
I think elderberry is an oft overlooked wildlife habitat planting. Fastgrowing, easy to grow, and offers browsing and fruit, just needs lots of sunshine. I started several in a row in my orchard this spring, I just dug up some roots and planted one piece of root per spot, they popped right out of the ground.

Last edited:
Man, this thing is off the leash!! Stuck a yardstick into the cage for today's photo, 9 days later.
e9056c7723b554b495d30a1ea43e7f26.jpg

Damn! That's some growth right there. I would think the full sun would have a huge impact on that growth rate, but that's still pretty impressive. Would be interesting how old the plant is as it may be older than you think and was just being held in check with browsing.... Still pretty impressive.

Damn! That's some growth right there. I would think the full sun would have a huge impact on that growth rate, but that's still pretty impressive. Would be interesting how old the plant is as it may be older than you think and was just being held in check with browsing.... Still pretty impressive.

I know exactly how old it is-it's a 6" cutting off of a creek side bush that I took in March, potted, then transplanted in late May/early June to it's present location. It had about 8-10 leaves and was about 4 " tall when I put it in the ground. The picture in post #7 shows it a month after transplanting.

It's opened my eyes to the possibilities of cuttings to propagate shrubs for plantings. I'm envisioning getting some rows of stuff like this planted around my house/barnyard to provide cuttings and plants for the farm. Next spring I'm trying to get some hazelnut bushes from cuttings.

It's opened my eyes to the possibilities of cuttings to propagate shrubs for plantings. I'm envisioning getting some rows of stuff like this planted around my house/barnyard to provide cuttings and plants for the farm. Next spring I'm trying to get some hazelnut bushes from cuttings.

I plan on trying to spread my elderberry thru cuttings as well.....especially since you have had such luck. I have a few fairly big plants and will cut them down to size....and reach of the deer this winter. I have never grown cuttings before and I tend to wing it, so we will see how it goes.

A couple of more photos before I put this elderberry to bed for the fall/winter. I jokingly predicted that this thing would reach 5' this summer, and it did.
09e969c3fe4f762d275652e8de1c99ed.jpg
21cdbf8fcc2d4f13491bedf2cbe9f57c.jpg

That's a 4' yardstick, by the way...

A couple of more photos before I put this elderberry to bed for the fall/winter. I jokingly predicted that this thing would reach 5' this summer, and it did.
09e969c3fe4f762d275652e8de1c99ed.jpg
21cdbf8fcc2d4f13491bedf2cbe9f57c.jpg

That's a 4' yardstick, by the way...

Explain the 48" "yard stick" thing to me? Is this a Hoosier thing or what? I have one as well and technically it isn't a "yard stick" being 4 feet and not 3, but then what the hell do you call it?!? A 4 foot yard stick just makes me feel dumb!

Awesome to see your plant doing so well. I hope to get some cuttings from mine and help spread it around the farm here.

Explain the 48" "yard stick" thing to me? Is this a Hoosier thing or what? I have one as well and technically it isn't a "yard stick" being 4 feet and not 3, but then what the hell do you call it?!? A 4 foot yard stick just makes me feel dumb!

Awesome to see your plant doing so well. I hope to get some cuttings from mine and help spread it around the farm here.
Must be a Hoosier thing, for sure. I inherited some from my grandparents estate that said " Four Feet are Better than Two", and had an ad for a shoe store on them.
I haven't forgot about getting you some of my bush dogwood cuttings for spring, either. I need to get involved with the swap link, too.

Back