Wanton waste

THE LLC

How is these guys on hunting shows leaving deer overnight for coyotes to eat or meat to ruin not wanton waste. I am so sick of it. It is not about collecting the antlers guys. Make every effort to retrieve your animal before it is ruined. Friggin' gun shots through the lungs and leaving them over night??

Some of them are lung shots but some are questionable.What really stinks is according to the Kansas CO that i talked to,you can retrieve the deer and as long as you take home you can cut backstraps out then throw away the rest and it's not wanton waste which is BS

Agreed Unless it's gut or liver hit. Thing is they can review the footage so 90% of the time they know what they're dealing with. You can tell they often do it for superior footage of the retrieval. Or how they don't gut it till noon the next day so they can get better pictures... A$$ clowns

Sometimes on a small property if you are not sure of the hit then it might be best to back out especially if you have no permission to retrieve on adjoining properties.

I shot this buck with my bow in the dim light of the evening on October 2nd this year in Oklahoma. The deer bucked before he ran and I felt it was a decent hit but my eyesight in low light is getting very poor. I followed minute blood for a few yards and heard deer running and I knew if I pushed the deer off our place my recovery might not happen so I packed out. Temp at time of shot was high 60's. Overnight it got low 50's. I found the deer about 10 yards past where I backed out the next morning.

d499da89371ccdbb5358a6cd61ccf811.jpg

I had a picture of a yote within 50 yards of him that night but he was untouched. I gutted, skinned, and had processed.

ebf11dda0f0d754fc0220b79dab5af28.jpg

And now am having fine meals from him.

66357d2cb3e95c43182da0acc8a92108.jpg

If I ever doubt my shot I will back out unless the blood sign shows it is going to be a short track job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel it's wasteful to push a deer and not recover it at all. If I'm not sure of a hit, I'd rather back out over night if the weather is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I backed off my buck this year after I thought I still made a good shot (gun) but blood was real weak and I never heard the deer crash. I came back the next morning and found him 50 yards from where I shot him in the tall switchgrass (why I never heard the crash or saw him). No harm done, but if it would have been a poor shot and I had pushed him (which I have done in the past) the results tend to be far from ideal. Loss of the meat from any deer is something I try to avoid. I have been down that road and I will avoid it if I can. I have NEVER lost a deer to yotes yet on my place so I have that in my favor as well, but with weak blood and fading light I will try to not push that deer (unless I know rain is moving in).

I have left deer overnight simply because I couldn't find them in the dark, haven't had the coyotes get one yet. Before I cut my Dish network completely I found more on the Outdoor channel and Sportsman channel that angered me than entertained me. The few shows I miss are not deer hunting shows.

In a scenario such as you posted,LLC, i agree that its somewhat questionable. Ive seen coyotes destroy some of the meat, but never enough to ruin the deer. Thats in my locale. Ive thrown a hunting coat on a deer or two to keep the yotes away.
I hear of far more hunters tracking deer when they should be waiting.

What i do not like is the questionable shots i see guys take on film, which i believe they do desperately hoping for kill footage. I dont care how much poundage one shoots or caliber of gun, there are angles at which you do not shot. That is how dad taught me and how i teach my son.

I'm in the "unless you are certain, wait" camp. Except when weather is coming in that could wash away a trail. Bump a deer onto a place you don't have permission could be tough. We have some of the best bedding areas around. Deer usually come to our piece to die... we try not to ever give them a reason to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back