Too many pigs.....no deer!

Steven A

I have hunted and killed both wild pigs and deer for many years. This is the first year that pigs have hogged in on my deer hunting.

When I scouted my lease, 35 miles west of Jacksonville, FL., I saw lots of sign for bucks. I had been keeping feeders going with corn.

The black powder opener was on Oct. 21 and suddenly, pig were eating all the corn and despoiling the area. I have heard that deer will not go and eat after pigs rooted up the area. That appears to be true.

Is there anything that I can do, short of ending all baiting, in order to not have so many pigs around my stand?

It would not be so bad if I was killing pigs, but they appear to only be foraging in the dark, so I do not see them.!

Help

We put in our first fence around a feeder this year. It took the deer a couple of weeks, but they are now jumping into it to feed. Now, the pigs just stop and stare at the corn inside the pen but can’t get to it. You may want to try that out if you intend to keep putting out corn. You can find plans on how to build them by googling “feeder pens”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.jpeg Eight to ten hog panels in a circle, T posts at every joint and in the middle of each panel. Leave one panel just wired loosely so you can get in the pen. I cut my T posts off at the top so that the anchor plate is just under the ground when the post is level with the panel. Posts on the inside of course. I also use a T post with the anchor plate removed for the middle of the "gate". This lets me pull it up and hammer it back with little trouble. This would not work if you were trying to keep hogs in, but they don't worry about breaking in, just breaking out ! It also won't keep them totally away from feeders, but they won't spend much time there.

The tall T posts you see are anchoring my feeder legs to keep hogs from turning them over. The feeder was there before the pen was.

Go ahead and build fence sturdy enough for hog trap. Then build or buy a door. Let pigs get in after they are savoring it for so long. Then set trap and waa laa BACON

I have hunted and killed both wild pigs and deer for many years. This is the first year that pigs have hogged in on my deer hunting.

When I scouted my lease, 35 miles west of Jacksonville, FL., I saw lots of sign for bucks. I had been keeping feeders going with corn.

The black powder opener was on Oct. 21 and suddenly, pig were eating all the corn and despoiling the area. I have heard that deer will not go and eat after pigs rooted up the area. That appears to be true.

Is there anything that I can do, short of ending all baiting, in order to not have so many pigs around my stand?

It would not be so bad if I was killing pigs, but they appear to only be foraging in the dark, so I do not see them.!

Help
Build a couple Hog Traps. 7 years ago we leased some new land. Hogs were everywhere. I put up a Game Cam and captured 1082 pics of Hogs in a 24 hour period. The first season we killed about as many Hogs as Deer. We built some traps. There is much more Hog traffic at night. Hogs are intelligent. We built better traps and caught and killed a good many Hogs. Last year there were not too many Hogs... Due to a drought, the Hogs moved down to the creeks and swamps. This year, the Hogs are back. They are a reality...
Since I love to BBQ and Smoke Deer meat it was a natural for me to add Hogs. I did switch over from my ancient .270 to a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70. It slams them. Now days if I see Hogs instead of Deer, I put em on the ground. (No limits on shooting Hogs)

Back