Timber Stand Improvement

Drycreek

The crew moved in yesterday to start thinning the approximately 45 acres of plantation pine on my 217 acres in East Texas. These pines were thinned at about 12/15 years old before I bought the place. They should be about 18/21 years old now. We're taking the pulp wood, chipping saw, and I have a moderate amount of saw logs on the backside of the place that we'll be taking also. I was surprised at how much sweet gum that would make pulpwood as we don't go into the woods much. Surprising how fast they grow !

Im gonna try my best to do a controlled burn next winter on the plantation portion and would welcome anyone's input on this. I have a general idea, but I could use some insight from someone who's actually done it. Thanks !

Where are you in E. Tx? I have a consultant forester who is also certified to burn. Suspect he would do the burn for you if so interested. Burning is great but there are numerous elements to consider not the least of which is liability .

Mt. Enterprise, just south of Henderson about 20 miles. N of Nacogdoches about the same distance.

Mt. Enterprise, just south of Henderson about 20 miles. N of Nacogdoches about the same distance.
I'm off to Telluride tomorrow for a week. When I return if you want to followup let me know and I'll give you my guys contact info. We are only a few hours apart.

Like Baker said, you definitely want someone certified to burn for you unless you are EXTREMELY confident in your ability to control for. It's easy to light a match, but if the fire spreads and burns down your neighbors house...ugh. Pay a forrester to assume the liability risk.

My dad and I are capable of burning our 40 acres of managed longleaf, but we let our forrester do it. It costs about $1500 per burn, and we consider that money well spent.

ARkansas Forestry Commission will burn for us in this state cheaper than anyone. You might see it Texas Forestry Commission has a burning program.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know why I didn't think to ask my timber cutter, but I did ask him this morning and he has a guy that does all theirs that is really close to me, like 15 miles close. He's insured and knows how to do it. He also advised me not to do it for the first year because all the slash is dropped back into the skidder runs and that might make the fire too hot. This was something I was wondering about yesterday also. So it looks like winter of 2018 might be too soon to burn. I'm getting ballpark pricing from him for burning as well as spraying,which I assume could be done any time. If the spraying is not too much higher, I may go that route. At 70 years old, my patience and my time runs on the low side !:)

I started a little cleanup today behind the timber cutters. It rained last night so it was a little wet, but I finally got it started. I had to huff and puff with my dozer fan before it got to burning. image.jpeg

image.jpeg Momma told me that an idle mind was the devil's workshop, so while I was waiting for the pile to burn down a little, I worked on a little mudhole the log trucks left me. I used to just have a little dip to let the water cross, and it's held up well for light traffic, but I decided to just raise the whole road. I had a pile of dirt right there, from excavating the pond, so I went to work.

I'm currently thinning 265 acres of mostly hardwood. Thru the years I have lost countless large mature oaks to wind damage so I decided to take out the over mature oaks and pines along with a light thinning.Of course it has been the wettest August in memory and now Harvey could dump even more rain. The roads will require serious grader work once finished and for now the loggers have pulled out staged at an entrance until we see exactly what will happen from the hurricane.

Hope Harvey doesn't create to many problems for you.

I'm currently thinning 265 acres of mostly hardwood. Thru the years I have lost countless large mature oaks to wind damage so I decided to take out the over mature oaks and pines along with a light thinning.Of course it has been the wettest August in memory and now Harvey could dump even more rain. The roads will require serious grader work once finished and for now the loggers have pulled out staged at an entrance until we see exactly what will happen from the hurricane.

Hope Harvey doesn't create to many problems for you.

Rusty, I think I'm far enough N that all we'll get is a good rain. It might hamper my food plotting, especially in Trinity Co., which is two hours farther S. I was going to start there next week mowing the plots I killed last week, and discing in a little more lime since I didn't get quite what I needed in March,, but that may be delayed now.

As for my place in Rusk Co., the timber cutters have been advised to clean up this afternoon as they are on their last set. My place here is a little wet natured, especially on the S side, which is where they are now. If it rains for three days, they are effectively done. I will have some cleanup to do also, my main road down to the house, and the r.o.w. they are using for a road. I'll probably rent a small motorgrader to blade my roads and just disc the ruts out on the r.o.w. and blade and walk in with my dozer. Some of it needs smoothing anyway, as a lot of stump holes have settled and it's a little rough in a golf cart.

Last edited:
View attachment 9167 Momma told me that an idle mind was the devil's workshop, so while I was waiting for the pile to burn down a little, I worked on a little mudhole the log trucks left me. I used to just have a little dip to let the water cross, and it's held up well for light traffic, but I decided to just raise the whole road. I had a pile of dirt right there, from excavating the pond, so I went to work.
Your road is a beautiful sight. Money we have spent on roads has been much enjoyed over the years. I don't think it is possible to make your interior roads "too nice". Good roads seriously add to a days enjoyment over and over and over!

Your road is a beautiful sight. Money we have spent on roads has been much enjoyed over the years. I don't think it is possible to make your interior roads "too nice". Good roads seriously add to a days enjoyment over and over and over!

Thanks Chainsaw. I agree that good roads are important to the enjoyment of your property, and I'm pretty OCD about that, as I have spent my entire life moving dirt and building things with it. It ain't right for a mechanic to drive a junker, and it ain't right for a dirt hand to have crappy roads !:D

Someday, I'll start a thread on the property tour forum, just need to get some good pics !

Back