Timber harvest advice

I'll climb on board with this discussion as I am in a similar situation.

I have a 20 acre piece in St Lawrence County NY that I am looking to have logged. Mostly Ash and Soft Maple.

I want to hire a forester who will survey the trees, and put the job out to bid.

So far I have left messages with two foresters who have not called back. A third had a disconnected phone, and the fourth said he didn't put jobs out to bid because he has been in the business long enough he knows who to call to sell the logs to.

Anyone know a forester in that area that can do what I'm looking for ?

Thanks- Rusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably too small a piece to have any competitive bidding. If the forester knows somebody that will buy your logs that is not really a bad option at all. You're really limited to a lumber company that is fairly close by. You can always say no on the price. On 20 acres you can inventory the trees yourself and get a pretty good idea of how much the trees are worth on the stump.

Rusty, the reality is that with twenty acres and this market getting lumber companies to give bids would be tough. Cornell has a Master Forest Owner program that can help you get started in the process of having your property logged. They have a crew of volunteer NY landowners they have trained to help fellow landowners get started in the process of having their land logged. Here is the link to the program http://blogs.cornell.edu/ccemfo/
Click on resources and then find a volunteer. Kristin Ferrare is the regional coordinator for your area. Her contact info will be on there.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I never would have guessed that there would be an issue getting interest in that parcel. I had a 7 acre chunk done about 20 years ago, but I dealt directly with the lumber mill, and I have no idea if I got a fair price or not.

I'll definitely look into the program offered by Cornell. Thanks Chainsaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back