The Right 15

Wow that 'cat was STUCK! Glad you had good attitude about it and found good neighbors who will be talking about the city guy!

Wow that 'cat was STUCK! Glad you had good attitude about it and found good neighbors who will be talking about the city guy!
LOL - what a joke!!! At least I have a watering hole now? Thanks for lookin.
Congrats Jared on the new property. I picked up my 11 acres in Jackson three years ago. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. Good luck.
It did feel good finally. Thanks for the good wishes, I will need them! been nice catching up with you via our messages.
Had to feel good to get out there and play! Excited to watch the progress
Thanks Sam! Excited to make some and document it as best I can.

Made it out today to spray the two food plots. Pretty good growth already where we just cut. We have been getting a ton of rain tho too.

Used 41% Gly. Only had a hand sprayer from a buddy of mine...and it took me over an hour to spray the large southern plot. I didnt make it very far, or to the other plot...but I think its covered good. Didnt know how many times I would need to fill that 4 gallon, so I ended up hauling with me (4) 5 gallon pails full of water. Used about 17 gallons.

I think I need a different sprayer setup. Been looking at the Chapin 4 gal battery sprayer....thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-63985...=1494185898&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

I will need to get back out there and spray the other plot very soon before the growth gets too high. Meant to get a pic of the plot, but ran out of time. My cellular cam will hopefully send me one soon....as I set it up on that new plot area for the heck of it.

Checked my cam also after hanging my 2nd cam. Triplets???

0b3948d373d09e75c9e835b7a832280b.jpg

5ea8a6ce23f943eba251647b0224e44c.jpg

c483a5fff7e561f6405d09c71ff7da94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Some more small bucks. Judging by their wet feet and the fact they are coming from the SW I believe they are using the swamp or near it.

This one is branching already.

8fb60c5f8b0a7f327806f7e3b6a5b6d8.jpg

2e2a2b967119b6a58bfba6752251439f.jpg

Last one is a spike or so

b5f2170b86aa5bf64b007d26de268e20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Coming from areas that all have rock base I am really not all that familiar with the idea of being stuck...looks like you guys did a great job of sticking the skid steer and everything else LOL! You might try a backpack sprayer if that is not what you are already using. I have a 4.75 gallon Stihl SG20 and a 20 gallon boom sprayer on my 4 wheeler from tractor supply...both work well...

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/sprayers/backpack-sprayer/sg20/

Coming from areas that all have rock base I am really not all that familiar with the idea of being stuck...looks like you guys did a great job of sticking the skid steer and everything else LOL! You might try a backpack sprayer if that is not what you are already using. I have a 4.75 gallon Stihl SG20 and a 20 gallon boom sprayer on my 4 wheeler from tractor supply...both work well...

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/sprayers/backpack-sprayer/sg20/

Thanks for swinging in man! It has been a wet this spring, and we proved it LOL. Yea it was a backpack 4 gallon, hand pump deal. Arm was numb from pumping and it didn't broadcast very well. I ended up buying that electronic one after a buddy told me he loved his. Hopefully have the quad mounted one next year....need to get a quad trailer first.

That spot is going to be a pretty food plot soon!

Thanks Sam - I can picture it already, with the leaves turning color!

Been working on finding a tractor/tiller to get my screen planted and I think I have some options. Either rent one, or found a local guy who will charge me. Figure I will up everything now, and then I should be able to disc it come Fall in the plots.

Happy Friday All!

What do you plan on planting in your new plot this year? Just curious! I am no expert but I have found Brassicas to be the easiest to get growing on first year plots. They fight off the weeds the best that are inevitably turned up and exposed the best and break up the soil the best. However, I also havent had much success hunting over brassicas.... so there in lies the problem. ha...

What do you plan on planting in your new plot this year? Just curious! I am no expert but I have found Brassicas to be the easiest to get growing on first year plots. They fight off the weeds the best that are inevitably turned up and exposed the best and break up the soil the best. However, I also havent had much success hunting over brassicas.... so there in lies the problem. ha...

That is the question...what to plant!

You bring up a great point. Those pros to brassicas are compelling....and I have also heard that deer take a year or two to get used to them, which could be part of your problem.

I want to cover all bases. I will be planting each of the 2 plots in strips of things. With the lighter winters lately, brassicas may be good after hunting season.

Clover/Chicory/Oats of some sort as an "earlier" plot jumps out at me. Clover would hold all year.

Brassicas/Clover/Buckwheat seems like another good mid season/late season idea when they go from greens to grains. What other grains can I plant?

I am also no expert, and would love to hear some suggestions.. Please and thanks!

I should also mention neighbor is planting turnips and alfa rack from whitetail institute. All other fields near me are hay.

I have been a big believer in the past of doing 40% of a field in Oats/Winter Rye/Peas/Clover Mix, 40% brassicas, and 20% clover. After trying to make this work for 5 years in IL here are my observations

1. It's somewhat difficult for me to get out to the farm for 3 different planting dates, 3 different spraying/mowing before planting, and difficult to navigate the tractor and control weeds without running over or killing the plots already planted.
2. My deer don't eat brassicas until January and February (going on 3-4 years now)
3. My deer LOOOOVE the oats/rye when it's about 3-6 inches tall, and wont touch them when they get taller. It's tricky to time it right. Last year I planted too early (late August) and the oats/rye were knee high and unpalatable by Oct 1. The trail camera showed a ton of usage in mid September. My point is, this is a volatile mix for me.
4. Clover is great year round, but again I've never had hunts where I see 10 deer munching on clover like I see on TV.
5. The only plot I've planted that has just been remarkable to hunt over... Standing beans!!! This is more difficult for me as I need to get the help of my farmer to drill these in as I don't have the equipment. This year, I am focusing on beans (1.5 acres) and supplementing with .5 acres of Oats/WR/Clover/Peas. I hope I learned from my mistake and I will wait to plant until first week of September. Now watch it'll be a drought all of September...

If you can tell, I have really re-evaluated my thought process this year. That's why I was curious as to what you thought....

I have been a big believer in the past of doing 40% of a field in Oats/Winter Rye/Peas/Clover Mix, 40% brassicas, and 20% clover. After trying to make this work for 5 years in IL here are my observations

1. It's somewhat difficult for me to get out to the farm for 3 different planting dates, 3 different spraying/mowing before planting, and difficult to navigate the tractor and control weeds without running over or killing the plots already planted.
2. My deer don't eat brassicas until January and February (going on 3-4 years now)
3. My deer LOOOOVE the oats/rye when it's about 3-6 inches tall, and wont touch them when they get taller. It's tricky to time it right. Last year I planted too early (late August) and the oats/rye were knee high and unpalatable by Oct 1. The trail camera showed a ton of usage in mid September. My point is, this is a volatile mix for me.
4. Clover is great year round, but again I've never had hunts where I see 10 deer munching on clover like I see on TV.
5. The only plot I've planted that has just been remarkable to hunt over... Standing beans!!! This is more difficult for me as I need to get the help of my farmer to drill these in as I don't have the equipment. This year, I am focusing on beans (1.5 acres) and supplementing with .5 acres of Oats/WR/Clover/Peas. I hope I learned from my mistake and I will wait to plant until first week of September. Now watch it'll be a drought all of September...

If you can tell, I have really re-evaluated my thought process this year. That's why I was curious as to what you thought....

To be honest, I am unsure on what to plant. I think covering a broad spectrum of seed will give me an idea on what the deer in this area like and when they like it. Doing a simple browse survey showed me they need more food, so I think a food plot in general will be a plus. I would love to do some beans....have you ever tried broadcasting them? My equipment is limited as well - no drill for me.

Back