The Massey

Well, after spending over $400 in gas, over 4200 gallons of water hauled by hand, and approximately 60 hours of labor watering trees last summer and fall, we have a grand total of 6 oaks that have survived the drought out of 50+. I’m spitting bullets right about now….

Last edited:
Well, after spending over $400 in gas, over 4200 gallons of water hauled by hand, and approximately 60 hours of labor watering trees last summer and fall, we have a grand total of 6 oaks that have survived the drought out of 50+. I’m spitting bullets right about now….

Well crap. That sux!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. We planted a couple more trees last week. These are the funky dogwoods with the pink/purple fruit Native posted last fall.
Here’s what we continue to deal with — I’ve never planted a tree with cracks like this in the ground.
244E030B-1C45-40D0-B14C-2BF016DB682C.jpeg

A couple more pics… I was assured by the nursery that these trees would be shipped before bud break??? Notice the dirt, looks like spring, right?
D4C0757B-B32D-4F0B-964B-6C599A8ECF25.jpeg

EAB76B4D-6740-4C07-9C98-1520A78FFCE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, I planted a couple of those Kousa Dogwoods last fall! Native must have some sort of weird pull on us KS kids!

I'm using my magic wand to draw you boys in......

vjMR8gH.jpg

This week’s big rain went to crap, I’ll be watering trees again this weekend. I’m freaking sick of this!!!!!

I've got 1.5 inches so far,it will help but we need alot more
I’m beginning to think EVERYBODY but us got good rain out of this week. This one went West and South of us, the models are showing the next one to go North and East. We have been on the line for months going on years; just this system put down 2”+ of rain within 60 miles south of us. After seeing the current temps in the pacific, my prediction is we will go through May without a 1” rain. That will put us at way less than 10” of rain for the last year, which would mean we are now considered a desert climate.

I’m beginning to think EVERYBODY but us got good rain out of this week. This one went West and South of us, the models are showing the next one to go North and East. We have been on the line for months going on years; just this system put down 2”+ of rain within 60 miles south of us. After seeing the current temps in the pacific, my prediction is we will go through May without a 1” rain. That will put us at way less than 10” of rain for the last year, which would mean we are now considered a desert climate.

0.07 here.

0.07 here.

Yeah, I probably should have been more specific about those who were in the path this last week. We were on the edge and it showed. The models right now show the next one to put us on the edge again, with you being in the main path. Of course that was projecting a week ahead at the time.

Well, the Kousa’s don’t look like they’re going to make it. 10 days of drought are all they could handle, and that’s with us watering them. Perhaps it’s just planting shock, since they were fully leafed out, but it’s not looking good. I contacted Nature Hills and they said they would credit us if they don’t make it.
0C7F540C-C2DE-4F49-A849-A18227FC63B1.jpeg

171B95DC-F2C9-47FA-AA7B-4F81EE3E0CBE.jpeg

Getting a pretty good rain over at the Massey looks like, This is a bonus rain for sure, we were't expecting it. Planning to mow some rye down tomorrow, I'll try to snap a few pics. I especially need to get the back foodplot mowed to get ready to spray nutsedge next week. After a few weeks of decent rain, I'm hoping everything looks a little better. We still need a lot more rain before summer sets in a month from now.

Went and cut winter rye today. This is on the Massey close to ag ground, so I don’t like to let it get to maturity.
The winter rye didn’t look too worse for the wear with the drought.
IMG_1901.jpeg
The clover on the other hand was completely nonexistent. Not one clover leaf on 2+ acres. I’ll be starting over completely this fall. I will kill everything and plant it conventionally. I plan to put in buckwheat in a month or so to put the brassicas in to, but with almost 2 full years now without clover, I’m not sure how anything will do without the nitrogen.
There is a little bit of chicory here and there.
IMG_1904.jpegIMG_1905.jpeg
At least the trees are doing better… The kousa dogwoods finally woke up.
IMG_1906.jpeg
The roseyannka persimmon is looking good, As well as the small natives I ordered.
IMG_1910.jpeg
The grated female still hasn’t woke up, but it doesn’t look dead. I’ll call Wildlife Group next week and see what’s going on.IMG_1909.jpeg
One of the Ozark chinquapins is beginning to look pretty good. The drought has been very tough on these, this is the only one I’ve been able to save.
IMG_1908.jpeg
Looks like the droptine crabapple is gonna get new life. I’ll have to figure out when to choose one of the shoots. For now I’ll let them all grow. Might have to ask your advice later this summer Native.
IMG_1917.jpeg

Got the two plots close to home done this past Tuesday, and got the lower barn plot done today. It was a killer out with the heat advisory, it was 101 by the time I got done. It’s quite amazing the difference 14 miles can make, the plots closer to home had some subsoil moisture, the Massey has none. We have a decent chance for some rain tomorrow, but we’ve heard that before. I did no spraying before working these plots, if we do get rain and the buckwheat/clover takes off I’ll hit them with cleth before we leave for vacation. Here’s a couple pics from today:
Most of this ground hasn’t been worked in 4-5 years, we’ve added a lot of organic matter the last few years regenerative plotting.
IMG_1984.jpeg
Had some company while working:
IMG_1982.jpeg

Put a couple cams out today on the plots closer to home that went in a week ago. We’re possibly going to get some decent rain the next few days. This spot surprisingly had a decent amount of subsoil moisture compared to the other 4 miles away, perhaps because of the large amount of OM on top the the soil that I tilled in. The buckwheat is beginning to pop up, we really need that rain the next few days to get the rest of it up and keep it going. This is the first buckwheat I’ve seen sprout in 2 years, pretty exciting to say the least.
IMG_1989.jpeg

Back