The Massey

I really hope your weather forecast is spot on, you guys need it ! Ours has turned around and the spigot is closed. Mid to high nineties every day and I’m already running the lawn sprinklers every other day. Fortunately, my only spring/summer plot is going strong and shading the ground pretty well. We still could use a good rain though.

Looks like you got nice rain this morning…
8/10s. We’ll take it gratefully, but it’s a literal drop in the bucket. We have significant chances the next four days, and if we don’t get inches out of it, we’ll be hurting bad soon. Well, we’re already hurting bad, just worse. The long term forecast looks pretty bleak for the rest of July.

This is a sight for sore eyes, the first buckwheat plot to germinate since ‘20. Put cleth down today on the Johnson and bermuda grass coming up in it. Need some rain now!
IMG_2001.jpeg

Deer are beginning to hit the above buckwheat. That will tail off the next few days, as the no-till beans in the ag field are just beginning to pop out of the ground. They will still occasionally mill through the buckwheat, but they don’t spend a lot of time in it, that’s been the case in the past anyway. The mammoth red clover looks to have germinated well too.
IMG_0048.jpeg

Going on vacation May be helping...headed SE...

aaea53445991360d3b3dbf9c1dcc5d63.jpg

Getting some decent rain back home right now while we’re in Florida. Setting at a little over an inch at the Massey according to the neighbor. Should rain for another 45 minutes or so. Meanwhile here in Florida, we’re about to go on our first ever parasailing adventure.

Have fun with the parasailing! It's cool when you get up there, then look down and see sharks swimming around... :)

We got rain too! It finally quit missing us and our watershed reached normal full level for the first time in a couple of years.

Well, we’re back home in the oven. It’s crazy when you leave Florida and come back to the Midwest and it’s HOTTER. We’re in the middle of a string of 100 degree days and it’s windy as well. It’s doing a number on everything. Today we got a little bit of a break and it only got up to 97.
Here’s some pics of what we continue to deal with on the farm. The top two pics are from plots within 12 miles of the Massey. The second set of pics are actually less than 7 miles away.
The buckwheat looks great at the old neighborhood plot.
IMG_2150.jpeg
Little house looks good too, the clover is even getting started underneath. And the deer are hitting it some.
IMG_2151.jpeg
IMG_2152.jpeg
Meanwhile everything is struggling at the Massey. The buckwheat at the first two plots was well over my knees, at the Massey it was less than half way up my shins and drooping bad. This is after a 1.4” rain 5 days ago. I’m afraid this extended heat wave is going to do it in.
IMG_2153.jpeg

I’ve never done BW but it always looks great. Hope you get some relief temps and rain. Nice thing of my mountains it is rare to see 90 deg. We in dry hot spell for few wks and it’s got bassica plantings on hold. Glad I’m not a real farmer any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m planning to forego the brassicas this year. It’s too important to simply get the plots going strong again so I can do regenerative plotting again eventually. Gonna be a lot of work this September. I’m hoping the buckwheat is going to help with this process.

Reworked the stands we leave up through the season on public. These were some of our older stands we weren’t too worried about getting stolen. I’m a harness wearer, but the stands always made me a little nervous regardless. I was going to change out the platform bolts too, but they looked in good shape still.
Before…
IMG_2158.jpeg
After…
IMG_2159.jpeg

IMG_2160.jpeg

Reworked the stands we leave up through the season on public. These were some of our older stands we weren’t too worried about getting stolen. I’m a harness wearer, but the stands always made me a little nervous regardless. I was going to change out the platform bolts too, but they looked in good shape still.
Before…
View attachment 25808
After…
View attachment 25809

View attachment 25810
That’s a Gorilla Treestand...notorious for cables rusting through and snapping. Mine snapped 2 years ago on one side when I stepped onto it...

It’s funny, the stand pictured is actually a sportsman’s guide stand, but you must have telepathy or something, because the third stand I worked on was an old aluminum gorilla stand a buddy refurbished for me years ago He’s quite the welder of all types including aluminum.

Going to forego the planting of brassicas this year with the forecast in August not looking great. Planning to throw and mow fall plots right into the buckwheat in September. At the Massey I’ll prolly go ahead a plant conventionally to be sure a get a good start to perennial clover. There’s nothing to mow in the back plot anyway, the drought has it toasted again this year.

I’ve been visiting with Alan at Wildlife group about the grafted persimmons we planted this spring. Neither budded out well; and what did bud turned black soon after. He said the grafted persimmons are a little weird and put almost all of their energy into root growth the first year. I’m a skeptic and I thought he was feeding me a line to be honest with you. He told me to scratch the tree a little and see if it is still green underneath and guess what?
Grafted female:
IMG_2163.jpeg
Roseyanka:
IMG_2164.jpeg
Both appear to still be kicking, and that’s without me watering them at all for the last month, thinking they were dead. The grafted female looks better, but I watered them both and I’m hoping I didn’t wait too long on the roseyanka.

Back