The Farm - Eastern KY

I moved some cameras around and checked a few persimmons last week. These two trees were still loaded. I was shocked to see it full of fruit this late. It's a really large tree as you can see in the pics.

y4mRvQ_i2NZqrGM-EZFLRZXL3LM1ksgGjiblBhbHTixg_ep1Rz3RmpoN5NFe0bBreP44eomPgTQzPFoppOcV-z7y9xaloV7nd5bETYCmKQcrH85ZAiMF2eV_6n6DniXDDoTqG-QJMSzmCk7PvLBjSdhTVfiOEDLkoFzwCvTSVo3l-I3lTVfhqPbzowjfKZVnRFR5O27wA6pAfiPRuhPivHLSg

y4m7TLk6-edUDqO0ToTvQLBOKx64uORNzSkvQQFqApH2x8byZEnUCoDn6-cZi_I4FcBl3oZtogqTZL5ZnTGdPagzUYMw5sXr4AguH9cWz6C7Azf7Sc-2lNI5mQqgJzsbfAglKCe4W34sSSu3hLY5Lpj6EcZl-Bx4CMbngjTEjQ68vCamrpeVuwxnwfvrF-K0H_v1ySjmC3MwMT3XxxzksSTmQ

y4mEUIht-2kbVMvGYmje1uYsMYapZIyJ-nBIPPnrZtyxx1n26dMlwrkGzkiFBOgWyvys96lycadYBNNxLmPCkwUh4wY8phzK3NxacAwb_e3RzQPrv-KJuuJ2KSLR02Yt5EFR47kipKUBWFrLMYJlk228h1LTOVpNTqHXMVTFHmY30M2uSmXriwtEPM2un1EqUgnTBGJYIUvxcrQqO3YlWXVrw

KY muzzle loader season closes Sunday and archery is in until Jan. 21st. I'll likely start doing a little post season scouting next week and start finalizing habitat plans for this winter.

Native Hunter

Will persimmon seeds from his late dropping trees grow trees that are late droppers or is this just a random process?

I am asking 'cause I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks

Wayne

Native Hunter

Will persimmon seeds from his late dropping trees grow trees that are late droppers or is this just a random process?

I am asking 'cause I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne, it's kind of random, but I have noticed that in KY and TN the native trees are more prone to dropping later. Another thing I have noticed is that as persimmon trees get older and larger, the drop time will will be spread out longer. I noticed a big tree today that started dropping early this year, but it still had maybe 10% of its fruit still falling now. A smaller tree that started dropping about the same time was finished a few weeks ago.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you plant persimmon seed, you will end up with either a male or female tree. Males won't bear fruit, but you can graft a male tree with female wood before the tree gets too large. It's very similar to the way we topwork apple and pear trees, but when we do it with apples and pears, we are generally doing it to get a specific variety growing. When we do it with persimmons, we are usually doing it to change a male to a female.

PS: I thought of you the other day. I was in your area, traveling down to Gallatin for a meeting. I would have swung by for a visit, but I had a 12 hour work day and was late getting home.

I worked in Gallatin almost 15 years and then moved to the state office for 10 more years. Had 8 years as a teacher in Portland - so I earned my retirement. It has improved my health not driving 13 hours back and forth to Nashville in traffic.

I sort of thought the persimmons are random. I direct seeded 12 holes with 2 or 3 persimmons in each location. I have hopeful 6 to 8 locations put up some top growth. Guess it will depend on if they survive the winter.

I collected my persimmons from a city park tree that bears great every year. It is a round shaped tree unlike some persimmon that are more vertical & slim. I still have plenty of persimmons seeds in the fridge.

HB Hunter has some great looking persimmon trees. His are the tall slim shape.

All the ones that I have found are in or were in mature timber. There aren't any on field edges or fence rows. They have no choice but to grow tall.

All the ones that I have found are in or were in mature timber. There aren't any on field edges or fence rows. They have no choice but to grow tall.
Everyone on our hunting farm are like yours HB - got to reach upward for the sun's ray. I obtained persimmon seeds off a tree in a city park with surrounding sunlight. It is next to a small water drain so it gets no stress.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Wayne

Beautiful place you have HB! Look forward to your future successes.

Thanks!

Everyone on our hunting farm are like yours HB - got to reach upward for the sun's ray. I obtained persimmon seeds off a tree in a city park with surrounding sunlight. It is next to a small water drain so it gets no stress.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne! I’ve seen some in fence rows that are in a similar situation. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

I believe that I congratulated you on your elk and buck on another thread, if not congratulations. I went back and looked at your pictures and it is a very nice mix of a lay out that you guys have. They are jerking me over a contract extension on the property that I wanted to buy so I'm now looking at other properties. HB if you don't mind me asking what county are you in? Thanks G

I believe that I congratulated you on your elk and buck on another thread, if not congratulations. I went back and looked at your pictures and it is a very nice mix of a lay out that you guys have. They are jerking me over a contract extension on the property that I wanted to buy so I'm now looking at other properties. HB if you don't mind me asking what county are you in? Thanks G

You did. Thanks again. I’m in Estill County.

Hard to believe it’s been almost a year since I updated this thread. I spent the spring chasing turkeys and the summer at the lake. I was going to plant food plots late August/early September, but we had a 40+ day drought and I didn’t think they would do well.

I got out of the blind and snuck in on a hen’d up Tom again. I think I’ll start on a ridge top next season.

394a5d4b9db502b0b73b3ce5db4aefb9.jpg

bef4733d5fb37b23239f474f0f5af27d.jpg

I was bow hunting one of my favorite stands in early November and checked a few persimmons on the way out. There is a cluster of five or six and all of them were loaded with fruit with some on the ground.

e44fab288e019faefa023d63c4a2efce.jpg

178f69cd9c9fbf9cd797374d4ac33019.jpg

I left a camera on the tree that held fruit late last year and didn’t get hardly any picture in it. I think it may have been mounted too high.

Anxious to see how long these hold.

I didn’t start hunting hard until the first weekend in November. I was targeting two bucks and got my first daylight pics in late October. My favorite stand has been really good to me the last several years, but it’s back in the timber and gets the most action early morning.

I sat it on 11/2 (all day), 11/3, 11/9 and 11/10. I saw around 15-20 deer each day (9 different bucks), but neither of the deer I was after.

That all changed yesterday. I settled in for an all day sit and the action was slow. Three does and a fawn passed by at around 80 yards and just went on their way. A small buck came from the way they went and meandered around for a few minutes and was gone.

At around noon I heard footsteps coming through a thicket that is on higher ground just above my stand. As soon as I could see the deer’s head I knew it was one I was after. I settled the crosshairs and let one go. All that time on the stand and I shot him about 20 seconds after I first saw him.

08c3bf1da244a97a88a9088b29b3f0f8.jpg

d8deaee59bab0988fb6123479aef708a.jpg

357c1e983a205bf72283698a00f0341e.jpg

He dropped in his tracks.

He’s my best scoring buck to date. I rough scored him at 161 and change (unofficial gross green score ). I couldn’t be happier with him and am glad I held out. He’s one of the best bucks I’ve ever had on cam and am glad it came together.

974b6c04f9a08a649cc6fe105281f63e.jpg

22070670fdd94fd23f265e3d9c503120.jpg

c185ed0bae66c7378d560a51128b3126.jpg

07a7c01b4ef36f6d4017cfb9c7fd5f2d.jpg

KY is a one buck state and I have a full freezer so that’s a wrap!

Good luck to those that are still hunting!

Back