Tar river equipment no till drill

anybody used one yet? i know they are cheap compared to normal no till but could be good for food ploting. just having an issue getting it setup to plant a desired depth. when you call to talk to company you only get a salesman and of course he knows nothing.

I don't have one of theirs, but I've used several others. A notill drill is probably the hardest piece of farm machinery to set up, and some trial and error is in order before consistently is achieved. Is it going to deep or too shallow? Adjusting the toplink on your 3 point hitch can help control depth by tilting the entire unit front or back.

its not getting deep enough. we've adjusted the top link back and forth and the best result move the roller at the back which attaches to seeder to a point it doesnt move and agitate the seed.

Since you get better results by moving the back roller up I'm guessing that it's mostly a weight problem. Your Tar River drill weighs 1400 lbs at 6 1/2' wide. That's 216 lbs per foot of width. My Great Plains 1006nt drill weighs 4300 lbs, which is 430 lbs per foot of width, which is over twice as much weight on each cutting disc in the ground, and it has a weight rack to add additional suitcase weights for hard soil conditions. Great Plains also has an additional sod cutting wheel in front of the disc openers, which is going to cut the soil more efficiently, hence allowing the entire unit to run at a deeper soil depth.
It just takes a lot of weight to get cutting discs to cut 2" deep into sod. Could you add weight somewhere on that unit? You could probably add at least a little weight without compromising the integrity of the design.
s-l640.jpg s-l640 (1).jpg
422b4e47b7e6c50a0bc4f2b9dd2e0d36.jpg

Last edited:
bump this to the top. Does anyone use a tar river or LMC no-till? I see a thread on Habitat Talk and also youtube has a few reviews. They all seem to be GREAT, which worries me lol!

The one pictured above is one of the Tar River Seeders, not their no-till model. The no-till model has a flat bench on the front where you can add weight if needed.

bump this to the top. Does anyone use a tar river or LMC no-till? I see a thread on Habitat Talk and also youtube has a few reviews. They all seem to be GREAT, which worries me lol!

The one pictured above is one of the Tar River Seeders, not their no-till model. The no-till model has a flat bench on the front where you can add weight if needed.
You are correct, I had pictured the wrong one. Here is a stock picture of their Tar River SAYA-507 no-till drill. I did have the weights correct.

9006d07de527de5414544106061c28cd.jpg

The weight on this unit worries me. You'll need some moisture in the ground. If it's too dry, you'll have issues with a light drill.
Y
Since you get better results by moving the back roller up I'm guessing that it's mostly a weight problem. Your Tar River
You could always add weight, if this unit is built heavy enough to handle the extra lbs. It would take 1400 lbs. to equal my great plains drill, which, in my opinion needs every pound it's got to maintain proper seeding depth.

Y

You could always add weight, if this unit is built heavy enough to handle the extra lbs. It would take 1400 lbs. to equal my great plains drill, which, in my opinion needs every pound it's got to maintain proper seeding depth.
Upping the weight to 2800lbs will limit the tractors it can be used on. That's beyond the lift
capacity of many 3 pt systems.

Upping the weight to 2800lbs will limit the tractors it can be used on. That's beyond the lift
capacity of many 3 pt systems.
Good point, that would defeat the purpose of having a no-till drill for compact tractors. This drill is going to be too light to plant into tough soil conditions, but I think it would be fine for planting in partial tillage conditions. I have a friend who has no-till food plot equipment but he always discs twice before he plants. He says that he gets better results that way.
If a drill this width was on wheels with a lift cylinder it would give more opportunity to add weight and still be pulled by compact tractors. My 75 HP tractor weighs 6,172 lbs and it handles a ten foot wide 4300 pound drill with no problem, so with this equation a 45 HP tractor weighing 3700 pounds could pull a six foot wide drill weighing 2580 pounds and this would be heavy enough to plant at the correct depth in actual no-till conditions.
Allen

Sure seems interesting that these have such great reviews! I can see yalls points so well about weight per cut wheel.

I know a few guys with GP and I have never heard a single compliant, other than cost......

Plenty of bad products have great online reviews. Paid endorsements, rigged reviews, etc...

You know that makes a guy wonder for sure! however, there is a fairly substantial thread on another forum I found with a really good review. However, as others have pointed out, this might be in low CEC soils where weight isn't much of an issue.

I keep going back and forth on what I want eventually, I am leaning towards saving longer and going with a GP - but time will tell.

Back