Sumac Control

jteeen

Sumac is taking over in areas we don't brush hog, and I have some persimmons that I had planted near them. I am looking at chemical control, and am pretty sure I will need to use Triclopyr instead of roundup. My questions are:
1-What kind of mixture should I use? They make both amine and ester based formulations, ester can volatilize when hot (don't ever use any ester around desirable trees). I have read varying amounts of concentrate are needed, such as 4 oz per gallon, or 1:4 concentrate to diesel
2-Should I do a foliar spray now, or go straight for a basal bark application since they are pretty small (all 500 of them)? I am considering getting everything killed, then just mowing over everything including my 10 persimmons to get a better start.
3-I've found pathfinder II, which is a pre-mixed (no diesel needed) concentrate made especially for basal bark applications, but this is pricey. 1 Gallon of amine Triclopyr can be found for around $50, but then I will need surfactant or diesel.

I'm familiar with application rates, as I take care of my own yard with pre emergent and various chemicals. But is Bermuda, and this is Sumac, with a bunch of briars mixed in. Once I get the Sumac eradicated, I can actually use this spot like I want to.

Here is a picture for reference. The tube is 5' tall. You can see where I had cleared and sprayed to the right earlier this year.

uploadfromtaptalk1469714730585.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Are you trying to kill it all or just some of it? Sumac suckers so depending on your desired end result may influence your method. Some sumac is a browse species and is an edge species great for feathering an edge. If you just trying to keep it away from you planted trees I would use a rotary mower and not worry about it. If you want it all gone then a chemical treatment may be in order. I have some on my place and typically an annual mowing will keep them under control.

Are you trying to kill it all or just some of it? Sumac suckers so depending on your desired end result may influence your method. Some sumac is a browse species and is an edge species great for feathering an edge. If you just trying to keep it away from you planted trees I would use a rotary mower and not worry about it. If you want it all gone then a chemical treatment may be in order. I have some on my place and typically an annual mowing will keep them under control.
Trying to kill this group, this is one of the only prime spots for an orchard that the neighbors, brush hog, and hay baler can't get to.

There's some nice groups in other parts where it's apparent they are being eaten, and lived in by the tunnels through them.

To wipe it out may take more than one swing as suckering trees like sumac tend to have a good root system to store energy in. If you go with spraying the leaves don;t be surprised if they don;t all die. I would suggest something like tordon, but that is a lot of stems and I have heard of folks having issues with it killing other near by trees and I would hate to see your orchard trees die. I personally have not had this issue, but I have read about it. You might be able to kill with a 50/50 mix of diesel and gly on treated stumps if you decide to go that route. I have seen first hand that you have to get the energy reserve depleted before you can kill sumac - and that typically means repeated treatments,mechanical or chemical....at least from what I have seen. Good luck.

I have a small group of sumac on a long thin driveway. Maybe 80 feet long by 20 feet wide. I cut the trees at the ground level and treated the stumps with Tordon. It is next to a group of popple trees, so I cut the first five feet of the popples next to the sumacs in hopes the popple will spread into the former sumac area.

When I installed native grasses there was a field with a sumac patch much bigger than the one in the picture above. In mid to late summer I sprayed it with Crossbow, and the grasses were drilled the next spring. I've never seen another sumac in that spot. I mow the fields once a year.

This picture is about two weeks after spraying back in August. Used generic triclopyr ester with no surfactant. Had quite a bit of misting due to heat. It smoked all sumac, that terrible grass, and the briars. Took about a month for total green to black leaves.

Large oaks weren't affected, even if sprayed directly.
dc0a11e3b48c02a9ba448aaa838576a2.jpg

Back