Stratification of seed?

Turkey Creek

I think I read once that someone said if moisture content is not high enough that it keeps the seed from reaching its cold stratification hours. Does anyone know if that is true? I am trying to grow some peach root stock from peach pits. I put some in a gallon bag and just made sure there was condensation in the bag, the other ones I soaked for 5 hours in a bucket of water and then bagged. Took a few out to test for germination, the ones I soaked before putting in the fridge are germinating well, the others have not germinated at all. Wondering if the pits will have to be soaked and then stored for a couple of months in the fridge or if once soaked will require a relative short stint back in the fridge?

I know that they have to be kept moist but don't know if not moist enough that they can't reach the stratification point. I tried some peach pits 2 years ago with no luck. I have some more in the fridge now. I soaked them over night in water. Even the ones that did not germinate. Peach pits can be hard to germinate and some varieties won't germinate.

I know that they have to be kept moist but don't know if not moist enough that they can't reach the stratification point. I tried some peach pits 2 years ago with no luck. I have some more in the fridge now. I soaked them over night in water. Even the ones that did not germinate. Peach pits can be hard to germinate and some varieties won't germinate.

I had read that as well. These are all Lovell pits (Lovell is a common root stock and is normally grown from seed) from a reliable source. I am removing the hard shell off the outside before trying to germinate them. I was just surprised at the complete difference in germination between the ones I soaked before going into the fridge vs the ones that I hadnt soaked but kept moisture in the bag. I planted some outside last fall as well so we will see how they respond. Though I have had poor luck with acorn germination on fall planted acorns so I really dont expect any difference with peach pits. Wanted to try various methods this time around to find the most reliable method for going forward in the future.

Last year i removed the seeds from pits, soaked then stored in damp soil in a ziplock in the fridge. Planted early spring, they all grew like crazy.

Back