Stone Branch, build it, they will come.

Man, there is NO WAY i would strike a match in those woods.
Amazing how you can control it.
If it’s like here then it is actually pretty hard to burn the woods at this time of year...usually more smoke than fire and as evening comes on it puts itself out from the humidity...95 degree days during a drought with a 20 Mph wind is a no no but right now I almost bet I couldn’t get our place to even light...

We’ve been relatively dry here and like Okie we would still have to hit it just right to even get it to burn. Fire can be readily manipulated if you know what you are looking at which George is great at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I showed up trying to talk myself out burning because of wind.

DSC06363 (1200 x 800).jpg

Then I raked out fire breaks

DSC06364 (1200 x 800).jpg

and had a gentle backburn off the line working around clockwise.

DSC06365 (1200 x 800).jpg

As the position on the ridge changed so did the wind, I now had a head fire

DSC06366 (1200 x 800).jpg

so I had to hassle around to the other side and get back burned off the line

DSC06368 (1200 x 800).jpg

not exactly a gentle backburn. One small firebreak breach but no spot fires.

DSC06367 (1200 x 800).jpg

Up and over the ridge on the west end.

DSC06369 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06373 (1200 x 800).jpg

I had some burning snags close to the lines that I had to cut down before I was to leave.

DSC06375 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06379 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Great job. Looks like a really good burn. We need a good windy, low humidity day to get our pine forest burned.

Great job. Looks like a really good burn. We need a good windy, low humidity day to get our pine forest burned.

Thanks cut.

I was looking at too much prep and burn time yesterday to conduct the next burn so I whimped out.

DSC06401 (1200 x 800).jpg

The fire I left burning after 7pm continued on so it is possible to work around the fire ban hours now in effect.

DSC06403 (1200 x 800).jpg

I failed to clear out around this big beautiful tulip,

DSC06404 (1200 x 800).jpg

so it will be a test case. If I killed it, I will turn it into boards for my cabin project.

DSC06405 (1200 x 800).jpg

I cleaned up missed spots and cut some firewood yesterday.

DSC06412 (1200 x 800).jpg

I tried to burn up stuff down in the ditch with mixed results.

DSC06415 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Are they worried about meth heads burning down the state? What’s the point of an arbitrary burn ban?

It isn't arbitrary, the ban goes into effect when the conditions are most conducive to burning in the woods. Trees are the only real legal cash crop in these parts and it is the old Smokie the bear thinking. In actuality, the absence of fire has been as much of a factor in leading to the decline of Kentucky's forests as high grading. Oaks lose out to red maples in competition for sun light.

G

It isn't arbitrary, the ban goes into effect when the conditions are most conducive to burning in the woods. Trees are the only real legal cash crop in these parts and it is the old Smokie the bear thinking. In actuality, the absence of fire has been as much of a factor in leading to the decline of Kentucky's forests as high grading. Oaks lose out to red maples in competition for sun light.

G

I’ve spoken to the state forestry commission twice about this issue. I was like arguing with a guy who believes once a spike always a spike. There was zero willingness to adapt to new research on the effectiveness of fire in upper hardwood forest

Back