Starting my journey...Locust Hill Farms in the Piedmont of Northern VA

I have long been amazed at the quality of bucks that you have posted up. Before you started your habitat thread I thought you ran a game ranch. G
Thank you kindly, I have been told that more than a few time for sure about running a game ranch. Our neighbors kill plenty of the buck that summer on our place I can tell you that!

Last edited:
Thank you kindly, I have been told that more than a few time for sure about running a game ranch. Our neighbors kill plenty of the buck that summer on our place I can tell you that!
Speaking of, how are your neighbors? I don’t know how many acres you have but I gather it’s pretty big. But to grow deer consistently like that it seems neighbors on the same page would be absolutely necessary. Just curious

Speaking of, how are your neighbors? I don’t know how many acres you have but I gather it’s pretty big. But to grow deer consistently like that it seems neighbors on the same page would be absolutely necessary. Just curious

They are fine, some just so so but like I tell my hunting buddies we cannot control what goes on on the other side of the fence. A few practice some sort of management, others not so much. My only big “complaint” is the 3 bucks limit in VA. Me and my buddies are allowed to shoot one trophy buck a season (the 4 of us shot ZERO mature bucks last season). Yes they can shoot some management deer but I have a few neighbors that use all their 3 tags on 3.5 YO bucks. Again, none of my business just filling you in on the neighbor situation.

I will say this season is shaping up to be excellent in regards to “trophy” deer. One reason I think that is is because it was such a poor deer season last Fall for everyone in our neighborhood. I know one neighbor that usually shoots quite a few good young bucks didn’t shoot squat last Fall. November was really warm and made buck movement non existent during daylight hours. I think a lot of young bucks made it through to this season.

They are fine, some just so so but like I tell my hunting buddies we cannot control what goes on on the other side of the fence. A few practice some sort of management, others not so much. My only big “complaint” is the 3 bucks limit in VA. Me and my buddies are allowed to shoot one trophy buck a season (the 4 of us shot ZERO mature bucks last season). Yes they can shoot some management deer but I have a few neighbors that use all their 3 tags on 3.5 YO bucks. Again, none of my business just filling you in on the neighbor situation.

I will say this season is shaping up to be excellent in regards to “trophy” deer. One reason I think that is is because it was such a poor deer season last Fall for everyone in our neighborhood. I know one neighbor that usually shoots quite a few good young bucks didn’t shoot squat last Fall. November was really warm and made buck movement non existent during daylight hours. I think a lot of young bucks made it through to this season.
Gotcha. Yeah so you fight the same fight many of us do…which is encouraging in a way because you are still producing deer on that level. I didn’t realize Virginia is a 3 buck state. That is a bummer.

I wish GA would go to a 3 buck state. We have so many mature bucks that I can't convince anyone to shoot bc of our 2 buck limit. Having that one additional tag would be such a blessing.

I think one of the neighbors might have sent me a photo of this buck the other day. But where they are from and where this photo was taken is an awfully long way.
IMG_2807-XL.png

I wish GA would go to a 3 buck state. We have so many mature bucks that I can't convince anyone to shoot bc of our 2 buck limit. Having that one additional tag would be such a blessing.

Do you mean people aren’t pulling the trigger on mature bucks that might be less than ideal in the rack department because they are holding out for the trophy buck?

Do you mean people aren’t pulling the trigger on mature bucks that might be less than ideal in the rack department because they are holding out for the trophy buck?

Exactly. We have plenty of both and it's hard to get someone to kill the 110" 5yr old when they 150" could be right around the corner

We are finishing up this spot we have been working on for a while. It's taken SOOOOO long but man there were a lot of trees in this area. Cedars be damned but we are making headway. The green stuff to the far left is the start of the bedding area, bare dirt will be put in row crop and far right green stuff is the Poplar forest we are starting to take down and still need to de-stump. You can look closely and see the poplars already starting to stump sprout. We are hopefully going to disk this area this weekend and get it ready for a Fall covercrop/food plot!

68238043861__B22F488C-D9B3-4F85-BC52-A4F65E0054EB-X4.jpg

Had a dead cell camera and went to change out the batteries. Only good thing about that is it gives me a chance to pull cards and get High Def photos off it. This 9pt with a kicker is young (4.5YO this Fall) but sure is pretty.

i-936MXKZ-X5.jpg

i-fwrkm9D-X5.jpg

I'm pretty sure I saw this buck a week or so ago coming out of a patch of woods into a soybean field. Doesn't look terrible old but he's easy on the eyes. Not much mass but great tine length.
i-2jqQdm5-X5.jpg

And the Big Boy is still hanging around He's got a few points off his bases that will score as well, incredible buck for sure.

i-JftHQwm-X5.jpg

I'm pretty sure I saw this buck a week or so ago coming out of a patch of woods into a soybean field. Doesn't look terrible old but he's easy on the eyes. Not much mass but great tine length.
i-2jqQdm5-X5.jpg

And the Big Boy is still hanging around He's got a few points off his bases that will score as well, incredible buck for sure.

i-JftHQwm-X5.jpg

Good God. I just got excited for my recent card pull and then I see what you have! Different league!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good God. I just got excited for my recent card pull and then I see what you have! Different league!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference though is you usually kill the bucks on your trail camera, I personally usually don’t!

Back