Small Place in East Texas

Those sun chokes I planted seem to be doing great as well and I look forward to harvesting some of the tubers from them this fall if the hogs don't beat me to them. The deer are browsing the leaves as well and I'm hoping they put on lots of sunflowers to attract a few more dove this season...

Attachments

• Artichoke 2.jpg
    Artichoke 2.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Artichoke browse.jpg
    Artichoke browse.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 0
Those sun chokes I planted seem to be doing great as well and I look forward to harvesting some of the tubers from them this fall if the hogs don't beat me to them. The deer are browsing the leaves as well and I'm hoping they put on lots of sunflowers to attract a few more dove this season...

Attachments

• Artichoke.jpg
    Artichoke.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 0
Large Chinkapin oak growing at the edge of a high line on our place will be putting on a few acorns this fall

Attachments

• Chinquapin oak acorns.jpg
    Chinquapin oak acorns.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Chinquapin oak.jpg
    Chinquapin oak.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 0
  • High Wire.jpg
    High Wire.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 0
The plum trees have really grown up on our place and forming a thicket now. We have both chickasaw and Mexican plum growing on the place but all these in the pic are chickasaw

Attachments

• Chickasaw plum.jpg
    Chickasaw plum.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 0
Came across several of these on the north side of the property near the creek. Anyone know what this is? never seen it before but looked like something had eaten part of one...

Attachments

• Odd plant .jpg
    Odd plant .jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 0
There were lots of other plants I didn't get photos of like the apple trees, which are doing well, and some of the blueberry plants and pecan and walnut seedlings I've planed. Anyway, hope to get back next month and bring more updates...

Terrance,

great pics and glad to have you back on the forum

I learned that the sun choke tubers need protection as something devours the tips/new growth

i have had similar experience with chinese chestnuts and allegheny chinkapins as mine are doing well on sandy soil planted on northern and eastern slopes

I was interested to read of the yellow poplar Do they grow well in our heat?

I have two hives nestled in a field of clover and always look for stuff to plant for them

bill

Howdy Bill,

I only saw a couple of my sun chokes that had been browsed by deer, but the majority are doing pretty good. I planted the yellow poplar probably in the fall of 2013 and most did pretty well the first year, but during their second summer it had gotten so hot and dry that I thought that I'd lost most of them. Amazingly the following spring/summer we had gotten so much rain that amazingly, all the trees that I thought had been dead grew back from the roots, so just about all the poplar I planted have survived. There are several that are between 7 to over 12 or 13 feet tall as those are the ones that made it through that hot summer, but most of the trees that grew back from the roots are now between 3.5 - 5.5 feet tall. They are native and grow as far from the east coast to as far west as a few small areas in extreme east Texas right on the TX/LA border, so they can take the heat as long as they get at least 30 inches rain fall annually. Frankston typically gets 46 inches of annual rain fall, but I'm sure we've already exceeded that this year...
Terrance,

great pics and glad to have you back on the forum

I learned that the sun choke tubers need protection as something devours the tips/new growth

i have had similar experience with chinese chestnuts and allegheny chinkapins as mine are doing well on sandy soil planted on northern and eastern slopes

I was interested to read of the yellow poplar Do they grow well in our heat?

I have two hives nestled in a field of clover and always look for stuff to plant for them

bill

The plum trees have really grown up on our place and forming a thicket now. We have both chickasaw and Mexican plum growing on the place but all these in the pic are chickasaw

Man, I love me some Texas plums...
The wife and I forage Chickasaw plums every year, and I just found a late bearing Mexican plum on my father's place today... it was dropping like crazy.
1bfc2f5d71b3f2aab501a69931a2fa08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Yep..I saw a few plums on the Mexican plum tree that were just starting to get a little red on them on that last trip up. Plan on going again in a couple of week and hope some are still hanging on. I've found plum trees that had ripe plums on the ground during bow season on the Sam Houston national forest.
Man, I love me some Texas plums...
The wife and I forage Chickasaw plums every year, and I just found a late bearing Mexican plum on my father's place today... it was dropping like crazy.
1bfc2f5d71b3f2aab501a69931a2fa08.jpg

Ive had trouble finding mexican plum trees for sale

Planted 25 chickasaw baby trees from Missouri dept conservation this past winter that are doing well

bill

Hope you are good down there with the rain in Texas , Grace. Always enjoy your thread. Was down that way on motorcycle last summer and def a diff environment than my hills. Stay safe.

Ive had trouble finding mexican plum trees for sale

Planted 25 chickasaw baby trees from Missouri dept conservation this past winter that are doing well

bill

Careful with the Chickasaw plums... they form a dense thicket from root suckering.
They are a great plant to have, but don't expect them to be a well behaved tree.

Thanks for bumping this up

Haven't heard from Terrance in a while

Hope he sees this and updates his thread

bill

Haven't logged on here in a long time as I've been pretty busy with business and the kiddos over the past couple of years, and don't spend as much time on the forums as I used to. At some point I'll post a few pictures as to how some of the trees are doing that I posted about in past years on our small 33 acre place in east Texas.

Since my last post here I've continued to plant each year on our place in northeast Texas, and a lot of the places I reforested have grown up along the creek beds and the pine buffer I planted along the edge of the property to shield from the sound of passing traffic on the highway. There's a lot more cover and a lot more game that visit and hang out on the place. One of my guy I lease to harvested a few nice deer off the place last year including a very nice 9pt buck, and it looks like we have a big 12 running around out there this year. With more cover the hogs are getting ridiculous as well.

In the area I started calling the chestnut field as I had a goal of planting a chestnut forest/orchard on a 4-5 acres pasture area, and each year I planted seed and seedlings from various sources that range from Dunstan, named Chinese cultivars and hybrids of American, Japanese, and European chestnuts. I have a few 50/50 American Chinese hybrids, 87-97% American backcross, and a couple of pure Americans planted at the forest edges while most of the named cultivars and table chestnuts are more in the center of that 4-5 acre area. This year I harvested over a 5 gallon bucket of chestnuts and we're still eating chestnuts each week various ways. The goal with chestnut has changed and aside from the hybrids and backcrossed Americans, I'll soon be growing them as a cash crop to help establish a market for chestnuts in east Texas.

As far as planting nuts for wildlife I've gone back native. I plant lots of oak trees, such as white oaks, post oaks, chinkapin oaks, black oak and various red oaks, but my go to nut for wildlife now if the Ozark chinquapin. I now plant those on the other end of our place that's the highest point in sandy soils among the oaks and pines. I didn't have any of the Alleghany chinquapins I planted years ago to survive, but the Ozarks seem to thrive. We've been on a mission to locate east Texas Ozark chinquapin trees and we've found several trees ranging from 20 to over 30 feet tall. I'm now on the OCF board and we're working to breed resistance in the Texas chinquapins we're locating, so I'll be planting seed in a few of the private tracts of land within a co-op we established to restore eastern wild turkey in our part of east Texas. I've been educating landowners about our native chinquapins and working to get blight resistant trees growing back in our area. Anyway I'll post picture updates whenever I get the chance.

I also happened to pick up another piece of property in the southwest hill country area of Texas. It's only 22 acres but it connects to a friends 210 that I've been hunting for the past 10 or 11 years. We're managing both places as one and we're dong a lot of habitat work out there as well. One of the projects I'm working on out there is removing cedar from the lower areas, and planting more of a rare Texas pinion pine on the ridges that's native to that part of west Texas. Here's a short video of the new place..

Congrats on your new 22 acres and good work on trees. There was a time that we had some chinquapin on the farm property but I have not seen any chinquapin or huckleberry in years. Turkey do love them

Thanks. I just ordered a lot of wild huckleberry bushes from Tennessee nursery to plant under the chinquapins, oaks and pines...

Congrats on your new 22 acres and good work on trees. There was a time that we had some chinquapin on the farm property but I have not seen any chinquapin or huckleberry in years. Turkey do love them

Back