Small Place in East Texas

Thanks TexOk! And yes I hope it was just a one off as I have an entire field of them that I'm expecting to produce over the next several years.
Hey Terrance, just wanted to add to the chorus of people that are glad to see you on here. I really enjoyed your thread on the other site since I'm going to be working on some land in East Texas as well. That's a bummer about the blight on the Dunstan though, hopefully that's just a one off for you. Thanks again for sharing and I look forward to seeing some update pics!

Well here is the only Dunstan out in the field that put on several burrs after the other tree was infected. Hopefully we'll get a few nuts out of these this fall...

Attachments

• Dunstan Burrs 1.jpg
    Dunstan Burrs 1.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Dunstan Burrs 2.png
    Dunstan Burrs 2.png
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 0
Chinese chestnuts that Wbpdeer sent me and I direct seeded along the fence line on our place. Most of these are doing well...

Attachments

• Chinese Chestnut 1.jpg
    Chinese Chestnut 1.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 0
Hadn't had a lot of deer browse on my chestnuts over the years except for a few smaller trees along deer trails where they'd nibble the tops off during the winter months, but apparently they're developing a taste for Chinese chestnut leaves..

Attachments

• Chinese Chestnut browse.jpg
    Chinese Chestnut browse.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. That is super and I am proud for you & your family.

Losing established trees is part of what we battle against. So glad to see your post - you always tell a great story thru your photos and narrative.

I believe this fall will be the last year I distribute Chinese Chestnuts. Hope to get past 25,000 shipped.

Wayne

Walmart Dunstan that I thought wouldn't make it came back from the roots

Attachments

• Walmart Dunstan 2.jpg
    Walmart Dunstan 2.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Wayne! It's been a busy time for us with two youngsters, but a great experience that I'm thankful for..

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. That is super and I am proud for you & your family.

Losing established trees is part of what we battle against. So glad to see your post - you always tell a great story thru your photos and narrative.

I believe this fall will be the last year I distribute Chinese Chestnuts. Hope to get past 25,000 shipped.

Wayne

One of many many Dunstans that I direct seeded or planted on the property. I probably counted between 40 and 50 seedlings that I actually sought out to see how they were doing while walking the property, but I'm confident that there's well over 100 young Dunstans growing throughout this particular field that are between 1 - 5 feet, not including the older transplants and trees from Walmart.

Attachments

• Direst seeded Dunstan.jpg
    Direst seeded Dunstan.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 0
Young persimmon trees have been springing up naturally for the past few years. Glad to finally start seeing fruit on some...

Attachments

• Persimmons.jpg
    Persimmons.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0
The large Allegheny chinquapin I grew in a pot for 3 years before planting on the property a couple of seasons back. I have a lot more I'm currently growing at home that will be planted in the next couple of years..

Attachments

• Chinquapin burs.jpg
    Chinquapin burs.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
A couple of American Hazelnuts I planted along a trail. Only got a couple of not so good pictures with my phone, but there were a lot of them popping up along the trail from the nuts I direct seeded last fall...

Attachments

• Hazelnut 2.jpg
    Hazelnut 2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Hazelnut.jpg
    Hazelnut.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 0
No fruit on any of the older paw paw trees this year, but I guess I need to open up some forest canopy so they get more sun. I direct seeded over 200 seed over the past two growing seasons and found young paw paw seedlings all over the place ranging from only 6 inches to over a couple of feet. I expect lots of fruit in the coming years...

Attachments

• Paw Paw.jpg
    Paw Paw.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
White oaks that I've purchased and planted over the years ranging from 4 feet to over 12 feet

Attachments

• White Oak 1.jpg
    White Oak 1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • White Oak 2.jpg
    White Oak 2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
  • White Oak 3.jpg
    White Oak 3.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 0
  • White Oak 4.jpg
    White Oak 4.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
A few white oaks, post oaks, chestnut oaks and swamp chestnut oaks I've direct seeded or grew in pots and planted later

Attachments

• Chestnut Oak.jpg
    Chestnut Oak.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Post Oak.jpg
    Post Oak.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Swamp chestnut oak.jpg
    Swamp chestnut oak.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
In our area shortleaf and loblolly pine are native, but Long leaf a just a little further to the south. I love the trees and plan to do some management for turkeys with prescribed fire on this particular part of our property. Right now I'm organizing a co-op with all my neighbors to the south to coordinate an eastern wild turkey release on our particular site to connect birds moving from a release site a few miles to our west and south, so we're trying to encourage prescribed fire and since longleaf rely on fire why not try a few? I planted 3 potted trees last fall and lost one, but the other two are doing great, so I'll plant a lot more this fall...

Attachments

• Dead Longleaf .jpg
    Dead Longleaf .jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Longleaf 2.jpg
    Longleaf 2.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Longleaf.jpg
    Longleaf.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 0
Planted a lot of yellow poplar years back as they are fast growing and the flowers will make great honey when I put hive out on the place. Many of the trees have grown to over 12 feet tall...

Attachments

• Yellow Poplar 2.jpg
    Yellow Poplar 2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Yellow Poplar.jpg
    Yellow Poplar.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 0
Well the loblolly pines I planted as a buffer some years back have really shot up and doing just what I'd hoped they would. I should get a few more good years of cover from them until they get tall enough to see through, but the hazelnuts growing on the edges and hardwoods mixed in among the pines should do a fine job of filling in those openings..

Attachments

• Pine Buffer 2.jpg
    Pine Buffer 2.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pine Buffer.jpg
    Pine Buffer.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Pine Plantings.jpg
    Pine Plantings.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 0
Back