Single pin sights

buckdeer1

I have always shot multi pi sights but was wondering how many shoot the singles and how they like which brand.

I’ve always shot Soot Hogg 5 or 7 pin sights. This is my first full season with a single pin slider. I’m shooting a Montana Black Gold Ascent Verdict with the Mathews integrated dove tail. So far so good, most of my shots are under 25 these days so not having fixed pins hasn’t been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Times two on the black gold, best sight that I have ever had. I love the single pin, shoot your bow enough to know what it’s doing. I set it on 30 and forget it. I know what it’s doing at 20 and 40 so I’m good for 99 percent of my shots. If I’m feeling frisky and he is out there a little bit , I can just crank it to what is needed.

Thanks thats why i was asking most of my shots are also 30 and under so that is basically my 20 yard pin but thinking I may be able to take the confusion in the heat of the moment out of it.Do these have a place for site light.I use one in bale blind

Thanks thats why i was asking most of my shots are also 30 and under so that is basically my 20 yard pin but thinking I may be able to take the confusion in the heat of the moment out of it.Do these have a place for site light.I use one in bale blind

Possible confusion is exactly why I shot fixed pins for so long. I shot a buck on the 22nd and slid my pin to 25 then quickly back to 20. It wasn’t an issue but there’s always a chance. For treestand hunting you’re probably better off understanding holds for 30 and closer but it’s nice to have the option to move the pin if there’s an opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always shot multi pi sights but was wondering how many shoot the singles and how they like which brand.
I am 180 degrees from you on this buckdeer1:

Prior to 25 years back I shot recurve instinctive for whitetail, bear, moose and elk. The last 25 years I have shot a compound with single pin HHA sight, exclusively for whitetail hunting. It has worked well for me over those years.

Recently I purchased a new compound bow and decided to give a multi-pin a try as I want to give "finally bagging my first elk" a renewed try as I enter retirement (I never was successful with the recurve).

The multi-pin is an Axcel Landslyde 3-pin. I went with the smaller .010 (vs .019) pin size on all 3 pins. I wish I would have had this smaller pin size on my HHA single pin.

I am not yet convinced the multi-pin is the right way to go. Time will tell. Compared to the single-pin no-peep setup I had with the HHA I really don't like the clutter of the extra pins on the visual field, especially since I am now using a peep for the first time. Initially, this setup seems very constraining, distractive and unnatural, but I need to give it more time.

I may end up stripping it down to a 2-pin or 1-pin as I get more time with it and figure out what my preferences end up being. Assuming there will be a substantial distanceXaccuracy gain with the peep I will likely keep it in the configuration, otherwise I will drop it and add a nose button.

I think the 3 pin lets me see more,Elk hunting I might as well just have a 40 yard pin as I have shot all 3 bulls I killed at dead on 40.I'm still waiting on a chance to shoot a 34 inch VTM,my bow shop doesn't have one in color I want yet

I've always had issues with light through a narrow peep or centering the pin in a wide peep. It tends to make me want to shoot at the "chest" instead of a well defined point on a deer. I think this is because your eye can only focus on one focal distance at a time, so it switches back and forth where the target is clear and the pin fuzzy to the pin clear and the target fuzzy.

For me, the answer was a red dot sight on an adjustable bracket. I can't recall the brand right now, but it worked very well for me for many years of compound hunting. I hunt eastern whitetails, so distances are short, 20-30 yards from a treestand. Since drawing a bow in the presence of game is already quite a bit of movement, I kept the bracket adjusted for 20 yards. This allows for quick shots if needed when a deer surprises me approaching from behind. For 25, yards I'd just hold a couple inches high. For 30 yards, I have time to adjust the bracket in most cases to 30 yards.
I found several advantages. Since you keep both eyes open and just look at the deer and the dot is superimposed in your vision path, the dot appears in the same focal plane as the deer, so picking a particular spot was much easier. No peep sight is needed, so seeing a pin in low light is not an issue. My red dot is adjustable so I can turn it down for low light and adjust as needed during the day. If you come to full draw and you can't see the dot, it is obvious that you rare torqueing the bow or don't have proper head alignment.

The biggest disadvantage is setup. You don't use the normal dot adjustments like you do with a firearm. You have to adjust the relative position of the red dot in the bracket. There are instructions for this that are not difficult to follow, but I found slight adjustments in nut pressure changes sighting. So, you can't just get it where you want it and then lock it down because the lock down changes the sighting. Instead, you have to make and adjustment and lock it down and then see where you are. This means fine tuning take a lot of time and trial and error to get it just right.

However, once setup for your specific shooting style, rest, arrows and such, sit is a great setup. A second (not for me) is record book acceptance. While this setup is perfectly legal in my state, you need to check regulations and some record books won't accept deer taken with it (at leas not back when I was using it).

I haven't used this setup for hunting in a number of years. With my shoulder issues and arthritis, I've moved from a compound to a crossbow.

I'm not sure if this setup fits with your situation, but it is an option to consider that hasn't already been discussed.

I decided to go to a 3 pin to get rid of being too crowded with the 5 or 6 pin.I get too much buck fever to try and adjust sight when a deer is coming in.I like your idea though and will check into them

I used three and five pin sights for years. The five pins were strictly for practice as we used to shoot 3 D targets out to 70 yards here at my home. I hunted white tail deer and pronghorns. I don’t think I’ve ever killed a deer at more than 21/22 yards, but I killed one pronghorn at 47 and a few more in the 25 to 30 ranges. I bracketed his chest with my 40 and 50 yard pins and hit him perfectly. I might not have had time to adjust a single pin as he was chasing a doe and paused just long enough for me to settle the pin and the arrow to get there.

I bought a used bow once that had a single pin setup on it and I practiced with it long enough to know I didn’t like it. I ordered a Black Gold built like I wanted it and sold the single pin. We are all different though and lots of guys like single pins. Whatever works !

Back