Seed drill recommendations?

Would mowing a 2 to 3 weeks before planting allow the residue to break down negating the hairpin effect? Thanks

The answer is it depends on the amount of remaining vegetation and the conditions while the cut vegetation is on the ground drying.

First I should clarify we don't necessarily need the plants to break down, as that implies there will not be any remaining vegetation to provide a blanket of vegetation to hinder evaporation and week growth. This is exactly the opposite of no-till and what one is trying to accomplish through no-till. We are striving to keep a blanket of vegetation covering the soil while allowing our chosen drill to place seeds under the soil.

Now if it was mowed and the plants contained a lot of water like some broadleaf plants, then yes it would likely be dry as long as you had good drying conditions during that 2 week period. Good conditions for drying are relatively low humidity, good air movement, and not an excess of moisture (either dew or rainfall).

We also have to take into account the amount of cut vegetation. If you mowed say a grass that was under a foot tall, it would likely be dry in a week or less under good conditions. We also have to take into account how your mower acts with the cut vegetation. Does it windrow and leave large clumps of cut vegetation?

There is not any one solid recommendation that can be given other than it would likely work to your advantage, but you should observe the remaining vegetation at the time you wish to plant to verify it is dry enough to not impede planting. Break some of the remaining vegetation, does it have a clean break. Grab a handful and slice through with a pocket knife, if the knife cuts through easily, then your blades should not have any problems cutting through as long as you have sharp enough blades and enough weight to cut through.

In closing, a lot is said about our Great Plains no till drills but remember this, while our drills may weigh 3000 pounds, the downforce on our primary cutting blades is usually set at around 500 pounds. Weight will only help in certain situations, and sometimes weight will be more of a hinderance than help.

Hope this sheds some light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would mowing a 2 to 3 weeks before planting allow the residue to break down negating the hairpin effect? Thanks

If you need to mow to get your drill to work better, I would mow 2-3 weeks before so the grass is fully dry. Sharp coulters really help too.

Thanks guys, great info! Unfortunately, it sounds like it's a lot more art than science. I'm 5.5 hours away from my farm so I can't be to picky with the planting conditions. I'll try the mowing a few weeks prior then spraying right after planting plan this year.

Thanks guys, great info! Unfortunately, it sounds like it's a lot more art than science. I'm 5.5 hours away from my farm so I can't be to picky with the planting conditions. I'll try the mowing a few weeks prior then spraying right after planting plan this year.

Not really art, just knowing the limits of the drill and working within those limits. Should have good luck doing as you are planning. You may even be able to mow and drill the same day. Just mow high enough that you know your drill will function properly which should allow less cut vegetation to worry about and spray right after you drill.

Wish I still had pictures going into a thick mess with my drill and spraying after. It was so thick and tall you didn't see the ground. Drill was actually pushing over vegetation and sprayed after drilling. Had a great stand. Soil conditions were good and cut through the green vegetation real well. Now if I had a roller cage driving my drill this would not have worked so nicely.

At planting

lowerside.jpg

After.

weedcontrol4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back