Sarge the Wonder Dog

Drycreek

As some of you probably remember, I have a rough coat Jack Russell Terrier that has been my little buddy for ten years now. That’s him as a little pup in my avatar. He’s had diabetes for five years or so, went completely blind, had his cataracts removed and lenses put in both eyes. He could see again !

His right eye rejected the lens twice, so the vet just left it out. I suspected that he was going blind in that eye a month or two ago and the vet confirmed it. A couple weeks ago his eye got cloudy and bloodshot so I took him back to see her. That’s a 2.5 hour trip each way because there are no veterinarian opthalmologists here in East Texas. She discovered a detached retina and an eye full of blood....lots of pressure. She prescribed two different eye drops with the caveat that if they didn’t work we might have to take his eye out to give him relief.

Long story short, I was there at 8:00 this morning and they removed his right eye. It was a hard decision for me to make, he’s just like my kid to me, goes with me almost everywhere, follows me around the house and yard and lives to track a deer or a hog. (He hates hogs !) The only consolation is that he was already blind in it and in a few days the pain will be over. For now, I’ll post a picture of him like I want to remember him, when his eye heals I might post another. D62E16DE-1984-4AE3-B600-B6A29E404C36.jpegA1812739-7AC1-45FF-8EE2-BB5763B3FB94.jpeg

I totally get do everything you can for one's pups. They really are part of the family. He's a great looking pup.

Some decisions are easy. Some are not. Both come frequently. You did good by him and I know he loves you for it. I hope he gives you more years than you expect.

Thanks for the kind comments and well wishes guys. I know many of you feel the same way as I do about your dogs. He had a rough night last night, I could hear a groan every now and then, but he seems to be better this morning. His eye area is swollen of course and looks like hell, but he’s a dog and he will get over it quicker than we would. They don’t have the capacity to feel sorry for themselves like we humans do. :)

I can't imagine habitat work without Prudence( female bull terrier)

Continued prayers for Sarge and Don

bill

Thanks Bill, he’s feeling better today. I didn’t give a pain pill this morning because they tend to constipate him and he rode to a town about 25 miles away with me with no problems. He had himself a good poop when we got back so no worries there. :) I can tell that the swelling is going down a little, no more fluid oozing out, so I think by this weekend the lampshade will probably come off in the daytime when I can watch him. He’s still gonna have to wear it at night for another few days though.

Well guys, Sarge has progressed significantly enough that he has shed the lampshade. His “eye” still looks like hell but it’s getting better. It doesn’t seem to be painful although he’s still on meds until Wednesday when I run out of them. When his hair grows back he’ll look a little less like an accident victim and more like the dog he was. The top one was the day after, bottom was this morning. Still a lot of bruising, but better. 9EE7EDE1-A72C-4F46-9E1B-37B683202F06.jpegCC4743FE-E7F9-4F6F-AD3A-37766484E5FA.jpeg

Almost two weeks since his surgery, I take him back to Dallas Monday for his two week checkup. It’s hard to get used to his new look. 2D5F3641-B950-4C44-8B88-4C65CD431213.jpeg

Hope he heals quickly Drycreek. You made the right choice. He will do great. I once had a dog that went blind and it was amazing how he got around his known section of my property. Most people wouldn’t believe me when I would tell them as he acted normal.
And I have 3 friends, yes 3, w only one eye!! They are all excellent shots. Yes I prob need to find better seeing buddies I suppose. Good luck to you and sarge!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope he heals quickly Drycreek. You made the right choice. He will do great. I once had a dog that went blind and it was amazing how he got around his known section of my property. Most people wouldn’t believe me when I would tell them as he acted normal.
And I have 3 friends, yes 3, w only one eye!! They are all excellent shots. Yes I prob need to find better seeing buddies I suppose. Good luck to you and sarge!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best friend is blind in his right eye from birth and he’ll spot a deer going down the road before I will, and did even when I had two good eyes. My right eye is boogered up enough that I can’t use iron sights anymore, scopes or red dots adorn all my rifles, and some of my handguns. The ones that still have irons on them I shoot with both eyes open up close, and my left eye when they’re rested out in front of me at arms length.

Sarge’s eye socket was swollen this morning and he seemed a little off today. We went to the lease to change out a camera and check on the timber guys (to see what all they had messed up) and he road the CanAm with me, but he wasn’t his usual self. About the time we got home, while I was unhooking the trailer, it started oozing a bunch of pink looking crap and it was all over his face. Took him to the emergency vet and got him some pain pills and antibiotics. He’s feeling a little better I think, and I take him back to Dallas Monday for his checkup. I’m betting the stitches don’t come out unless he makes a miraculous one day recovery.

My best friend is blind in his right eye from birth and he’ll spot a deer going down the road before I will, and did even when I had two good eyes. My right eye is boogered up enough that I can’t use iron sights anymore, scopes or red dots adorn all my rifles, and some of my handguns. The ones that still have irons on them I shoot with both eyes open up close, and my left eye when they’re rested out in front of me at arms length.

Sarge’s eye socket was swollen this morning and he seemed a little off today. We went to the lease to change out a camera and check on the timber guys (to see what all they had messed up) and he road the CanAm with me, but he wasn’t his usual self. About the time we got home, while I was unhooking the trailer, it started oozing a bunch of pink looking crap and it was all over his face. Took him to the emergency vet and got him some pain pills and antibiotics. He’s feeling a little better I think, and I take him back to Dallas Monday for his checkup. I’m betting the stitches don’t come out unless he makes a miraculous one day recovery.

Sending positive thought Sarge’s and your way!

Sending positive thought Sarge’s and your way!
Thanks ! I had to take him back this morning, his eye was bleeding quite a bit. My wife had to sit in the back seat and mop blood off his face all the way. It finally stopped bleeding and hasn’t bled for a couple hours now. Poor boy has lots of troubles. :(

Thanks ! I had to take him back this morning, his eye was bleeding quite a bit. My wife had to sit in the back seat and mop blood off his face all the way. It finally stopped bleeding and hasn’t bled for a couple hours now. Poor boy has lots of troubles. :(

Sure hate to hear that. Hope he’s bouncing back.

Back