Rye? Would I be wasting seed if I tried to put it down now in upstate NY

For where I hunt in the mountains, I think it ranks pretty high up there also! Do bears readily eat it? We've got a lot of bears but haven't seen them munching on the Rye.
Yes, they like cereal rye when it's young and tender and readily eat it, but it doesn't attract them quite like corn would where they are guaranteed to be there eating it every day. I only see them eating rye from time to time, but when they are there eating it they keep at it for up to half an hour.

I told them Cereal rye - but I haven't been up yet to check -guess I'll find out soon. They knew enough to know that clover this late would be scketchy and they left me a big bag to frost seed over top - so I feel like they knew what I meant.
Happy either way that they are so careful to clean up and re-seed
Its cereal rye - but it was too late. Snow on the ground today - still basically no germination.

Its cereal rye - but it was too late. Snow on the ground today - still basically no germination.
I am very surprised that your winter rye did not germinate and flourish. The Triticale planted about the same time did so well here. Our elevation is only 350 to 500. But still?

EDIT----My mistake I planted late Sept and you planted late October. Good thing I don't have a job anymore, I'd be getting things all mixed up.

Last edited:
Thought I would give an update on my planting from back in Oct. Simply put germination was not very good and what did germinate never really reached more than an inch or so tall. We did have some really heavy rains and when I checked on the field it was muddy with many areas of standing water.

There is always next year :)

An update from 6a, western NC mountains, elevation 3k.

I planted WR among other things in August 30th, 45 days without significant rain followed.

My cousin was kind enough to broadcast WR on October 20th before a big rain event. I took the picture below November 26th. I can’t guarantee this rye isn’t from the August planting but my money is on the October planting.

b0ea3939db77eb16baa6b8b2445ce434.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back