Rural property and global pandemics

weekender21

Deer hunting aside, a global pandemic like COVID-19 sure does make us look smart for owning rural property. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near mine at the moment so heading for the hills isn't an option but I'm still happy we made the decision to invest in property and a more sustainable lifestyle when we did.

Very thankful for ours and the fact that my current line of work puts me in physical contact with very few folks...having said all that traveling abroad right now with grandsons and wife, can’t let fear control you and have to keep that economy moving!

Very thankful for ours and the fact that my current line of work puts me in physical contact with very few folks...having said all that traveling abroad right now with grandsons and wife, can’t let fear control you and have to keep that economy moving!
For some reason...that doesn't surprise me about you. Get er done Okie!!!

I was in Seattle last week for work...not by choice. This thing is just getting going in America. I hate to be “Debbie downer” but the economy will suffer greatly from this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought I was a prepper until this scenario. It took a while but I managed to train my wife to always buy an extra of our everyday essentials whenever we go shopping. Maybe an extra tube of toothpaste when we buy toothpaste, couple extra cans of soup when we buy soup and yes an extra packaged of toilet paper when we need toilet paper. I have dedicated a special room that we keep all of these items stored. This includes disinfectant sprays and cleaners. Included with all of this for the past couple of years I have been harvesting seeds from crops we grow in the garden. Call me what you want. But during the last administration it really got hopeless in the direction we were heading and it will get going that way again in a hurry if those types of individuals gain power again.

The main reasoning behind ALL of this is because we do live rural. We went almost 3 weeks without power during hurricane Katrina. We went a week this year without power just from the remnants of a tropical storm. We have a well on the property with a filter system attached. We are "prepared" for what I think we should be prepared for. Can we survive for years ? Probably not. For a couple of weeks-months.....I think we can. If push really comes to shove I can butcher our own meat and brew my own hooch. We shall see how everyone is sitting in these coming weeks

I still don't thing I'm a bunker building, end of days apocalypse type guy. I'm just someone that wants be able to provide for my family, friends and neighbors if crap gets real.

During the Y2K ordeal one of the locals built a bunker and stockpiled 2000 rolls of toilet paper.
I don’t know about this hoarding of toilet paper. Every shelf in every store I went today had none and won’t for a week. I mean everybody uses this every day. People get it when they get their groceries. It’s always there just like clock work every week so I just don’t understand the empty shelves. Lol. Meanwhile I noticed plenty of food, gas and other essentials (except hand sanitizer). But toilet paper is the hottest commodity going right now.

During the Y2K ordeal one of the locals built a bunker and stockpiled 2000 rolls of toilet paper.
I don’t know about this hoarding of toilet paper. Every shelf in every store I went today had none and won’t for a week. I mean everybody uses this every day. People get it when they get their groceries. It’s always there just like clock work every week so I just don’t understand the empty shelves. Lol. Meanwhile I noticed plenty of food, gas and other essentials (except hand sanitizer). But toilet paper is the hottest commodity going right now.
In all honesty toilet paper is a "luxury item". Yes we have plenty but are fully prepared to use other means (think bidet). We didn't go out and panic buying in mass quantities. We already had it in stock. I did make sure our diesel and gasoline storage tanks were topped off along with the propane but that was weeks ago when it was still in China. I've had our well producing about 22 gallons of purified drinking water the past week going into our 300 gallon storage tank. I would do all of these things no different if a hurricane was forecasted for our area. I just try to stay ahead of the curve. My wife has already gave out some toilet paper to a couple neighbors who are elderly and cannot get out and shop like the rest. We will make sure they are taken care of during this time. Cooking for 8 instead of 5 isn't that hard considering most people over cook the amount of food needed anyways. Stay vigilant.

Yawn... Left the only state in the union with no confirmed cases to go vacation. No worries from me and myself and the 2 strangers I was paired with for golf today, we all had great time, somewhat laughing at the hysteria. My daughter and family flying to CO tomorrow for ski trip, and I’m still on course in couple wks for west coast vacation for 2 weeks. Precautions yes, pandelirium,no. I get exposed to more germs in a day than most in a year. Ain’t skeered. I have no intentions of escaping to my land as I’d miss my cell, cable, and fridge.
I’m sure the little kids my wife and I support in Africa have more important things to worry of. Doubt they care whether they have 200 rolls of TP for goodness sakes. How disgusting for us as a civilized society to worry of such trivial matters. Spoiled.
Economy will take a beating for sure, markets will recover. I made my best money in the last collapse. Buy low, sell high. I hope we all stay well. Schools and institutions all closing up yet the bars restaurants and golf courses are packed with people. Eat healthy, wash you damn hands often, and don’t tongue any strangers, unless they are real hot!
And yes Weekender, we are a lucky people to own or have access to land. Worst part isno sports left on tv to watch. First world problems.

Last edited:
Corn cobs, corn shucks, Sears&Roebuck catalog, newspaper, but my favorite is American Beautyberry leaves. We didn’t have an inside toilet until I was about 8 years old. I come from po’ folks !5E444980-4673-46FD-AEAB-F4A41265221C.jpeg

Hunters will never understand the requirement for TP, we’ve had to get too creative over the years!

We’ll see how it shakes out but I think this will be a bigger deal with more impact than most are thinking. Some parts of the country will see orders to shut down completely. I don’t think even domestic air travel will be running 100% in the coming weeks.

Edit: That didn't take long. Domestic travel restrictions are beginning.

Last edited:
Grocery store bread shelves at the biggest grocery store in Lancaster county Pa. The store manager said that this was their all time best week ever in the 45 years he's been in charge he never saw the shelves this empty.
c5d0659bdadfefa5e20f282d03f0a2e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back