Rural King Corn?

deer patch

I know there was talk about some going to plant corn from Rural King this past spring. Did anyone plant any and if you did how were the results?

So lets try this again since everyone is back at work and supposed to be working instead of on this site. Anybody plant this?

Sorry DP - I saw the first post and was interested to see what folks had to say. I see it for sale every year but don't buy it because I can get the leftovers out of a planter as long as I'm willing to get dirty in the process. Free is a whole lot better than what they want for RR corn seed! If I recall properly the stuff I saw was Federal Hybrids brand. Not sure what their web site will tell you. I hope you get some responses.

Thanks guys for the replies. I don't have RK here either but the price would be hard to beat if shipping wasn't to high and if it would yield good results. Only one farmer plants it around here so I may have to see if he has any leftover seed. I'm only needing one bag since I was going to mix it in with some beans next spring.

Thanks guys for the replies. I don't have RK here either but the price would be hard to beat if shipping wasn't to high and if it would yield good results. Only one farmer plants it around here so I may have to see if he has any leftover seed. I'm only needing one bag since I was going to mix it in with some beans next spring.

Talk to the farmer and see where he gets his seed from and what it costs - see if he will get an additional bag for you with his spring order. Obviously if he will let you have anything left in the planter that would be awesome as well. Cleaning out planter boxes is dirty, but not difficult. Most farmers just throw that seed away at the end of planting season. I easily get a bag of seed out of the 12 row planter I clean out which is plenty for my little plots. The farmer may also have an extra bag or so at the end of planting as well. As long as they are not opened in any way the farmer typically can return it, you may be able to get some that way as well. As you mentioned it's expensive so the farmers typically don't just "eat the cost" by keeping unopened bags, but they tend to make sure they have enough....but not too much. You tell the farmer you are planting the corn to be able to kill more deer and you will have his attention. Farmers typically hate deer - the deer are essentially eating the farmers money. All of your interaction with him needs to take place outside of planting and harvesting season - farmers are busy guys at those times of year and they don't have time to screw with trivial things.....their patience tends to be fairly thin at those times as well.....so they tend to be a bit grumpy as well. Once harvest is done talk to him about his seed order for the spring and see if you can get a bag - just get whatever it is he plants - it's just so much easier and should do fine for you. He may have all sorts of other coating and the like that may drive the price higher than the RK seed, but it's better seed. If you choose not to go this route talk to the farmer about what he plants and why - this can guide your decision on which seed to actually buy. If you look at federal hybrid seeds website you will see they have a selection and you need to be able to understand what you actually want/need. Somebody else to talk to may be MoBuckChaser - over on Habitat-talk. Mo is a farmer in MO and is a seed dealer as well. He would be a great source for information and should be able to get you prices as well. I know you didn't ask for all of this, but maybe it will help.

J-bird that is what I planned to talk to him. He only plants for a few farmers and I've been told that he's a shady person at best but it could work out. He has already harvested all the corn around and the fields look like they have been planted again in corn from his poor harvesting equipment. I will check with local Coop also. Good news is RK only wants to charge $16.50 for shipping but if I get seed from their it will be next spring.

J-bird that is what I planned to talk to him. He only plants for a few farmers and I've been told that he's a shady person at best but it could work out. He has already harvested all the corn around and the fields look like they have been planted again in corn from his poor harvesting equipment. I will check with local Coop also. Good news is RK only wants to charge $16.50 for shipping but if I get seed from their it will be next spring.

Yep - I see new corn growing in recently harvested fields here too.

Bound to be a coop somewhere - they should be able to help guide you in the right direction if you go that route. Just be warned that seed corn from a co-op can get expensive ($250+ per bag) - so make sure your getting what you need. Also keep in mind that mixing it in with your beans will lead to it's own challenges - especially if you want grain. Lots of folks here to help with that as well.

Yep - I see new corn growing in recently harvested fields here too.

Bound to be a coop somewhere - they should be able to help guide you in the right direction if you go that route. Just be warned that seed corn from a co-op can get expensive ($250+ per bag) - so make sure your getting what you need. Also keep in mind that mixing it in with your beans will lead to it's own challenges - especially if you want grain. Lots of folks here to help with that as well.

I was told from my neighbor he was getting seed for $500 to 600 per bag. Ouch I'll get it somewhere else. I was thinking about all the challenges today. It's just something I want to experiment with. I'll try to report back this spring on the results.

Somebody is getting screwed - or isn't wanting to screw with it! Good grain production seed corn up here from top of the line name brands will cost you $250 to $300 per bag. The rural king store was selling the Federal brand 113 day RR seed for 160$ a bag. Like I said somebody is getting hosed or is blowing you off. The rural king stuff should work fine to be honest - it may not be the best, but it sounds like you simply want it to add some security in your beans and if it produces some grain all the better. I wouldn't want to try to earn my living from the stuff, but for plotters like us it is more than likely just fine. Like I said - reach out to MoBuckChaser over on Habitat-talk and I am sure he can get you a much better deal that $500 a bag.....Hell I could get it for you cheaper than that! 500$ a bag....it's corn....not gold!

I'm sure not paying that much for seed but whatever I buy I do want it to make ears or I'd rather not plant it. I'm not on the other site so do you think you could get me his contact info for me? If it's not to much trouble. Also I'm not needing RU seed.

BTW...That price came from my next door neighbor as that was what he was charged for seed. I didn't ask if that planting was included in the price. I stopped asking questions when he told me the price.

I bought some of the ru ready corn from rural king this year. Had good results if one ear per stalk is normal. Not sure since I've never done corn before. I had a good setup with shooting lanes cut through the corn until the hurricane came and blew it all over. I will use them again.

I bought some of the ru ready corn from rural king this year. Had good results if one ear per stalk is normal. Not sure since I've never done corn before. I had a good setup with shooting lanes cut through the corn until the hurricane came and blew it all over. I will use them again.

Welcome to the forum USC. I know sweet corn will only produce one ear per stalk so all should be good. Thanks for your input. Do you have any pics before the wind got to it? If so please post.

I'm sure not paying that much for seed but whatever I buy I do want it to make ears or I'd rather not plant it. I'm not on the other site so do you think you could get me his contact info for me? If it's not to much trouble. Also I'm not needing RU seed.
Sure - I'll get you some contact info for MO.

Back