Rural King Corn?

Deer patch - I "talked" to Mo. He suggested you contact MFA Ag Services in Bethany, MO. He said he got some RR corn from them for less than $100 a bag. I would suspect you can find a Farm Co-op even closer, as the one he mentioned is north of KC on I-35.

I personally think the Rural king stuff will work fine and "SHOULD" be suited for your area. Like I said - that is where a local cooperative would be more helpful to ensure you get the proper maturity type and suggested planting dates and the like to fit your needs/wants.

See if this link helps you any. I think you are specifically interested in pages 45 thru 50.
http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/DirectoryOfFarmerCooperatives.pdf

You can also contact your local FSA office and they should be able to point you in the right direction as well.
http://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov/locator/app?state=ar&agency=fsa

Deer patch - I "talked" to Mo. He suggested you contact MFA Ag Services in Bethany, MO. He said he got some RR corn from them for less than $100 a bag. I would suspect you can find a Farm Co-op even closer, as the one he mentioned is north of KC on I-35.

I personally think the Rural king stuff will work fine and "SHOULD" be suited for your area. Like I said - that is where a local cooperative would be more helpful to ensure you get the proper maturity type and suggested planting dates and the like to fit your needs/wants.

See if this link helps you any. I think you are specifically interested in pages 45 thru 50.
http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/DirectoryOfFarmerCooperatives.pdf

You can also contact your local FSA office and they should be able to point you in the right direction as well.
http://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov/locator/app?state=ar&agency=fsa

MFA is all over Missouri. They ship from the same warehouse, so he can probably get some other than in Bethany.

Thanks J-bird for helping and tell MO thanks to. I can think of 3 local Co-ops close by so I will check with them also. One is where I do most all of my business at. If I can't find a better seed for the price I am going to go with RK for no other reason than I'm curious as how it will do. I have done milo before but would like the corn if I can keep the bears out of it.

Thanks swat for the info.

before hurricane.JPG
after hurricane.JPG
Sorry for the delay. A little background on the first picture...there are weeds on the left side because we planted the corn thin and mixed in some soybeans but they didnt come in thick enough and we didnt spray enough gly. The second pic is after the hurricane. The top half of 90% of the stalks were blown down though its kinda hard to tell from this picture. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• before hurricane.JPG
    before hurricane.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • after hurricane.JPG
    after hurricane.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
I haven't decided to mix the corn with beans or just do corn separate around the outside of plots say 30 to 40 foot and then plant the beans inside but I'm leaning towards the later. Thanks for the pics. Looks like it did just fine.

I haven't decided to mix the corn with beans or just do corn separate around the outside of plots say 30 to 40 foot and then plant the beans inside but I'm leaning towards the later. Thanks for the pics. Looks like it did just fine.
Just some things to keep in mind:
#1 - corn hates competition (sunlight, nutrients, moisture)
#2 - corn has very different fertilizer requirements than beans - corn is a heavy N user when beans are not.
#3 - corn produces better when planted in rows - the spacing and controlled planting depth simply get better germination and production, beans are far more forgiving and can be broadcast and do just fine.
#4 - corn is far more sensitive to growing conditions than beans - corn is far more sensitive to extreme wet or dry conditions vs beans and beans will grow much better on marginal soils than corn will.
#5 - mixing corn and beans in the same plot you have a broadleaf and a grass together....for that reason I only plant RR varieties of either to control weeds.
#6 - corn is a great food for nearly all kids of wildlife, so you may see significant damage from other critters that you may or may not have to contend with by using beans alone.

I'm not trying to talk you out of corn, I'm just listing things I have had to deal with and not everyone is prepared for. It's great, but it tends to be more work, more cost and at times more frustration than soybeans. Good luck and keep us up to date as to what you do.

J-bird you couldn't talk me out of planting corn if you tried. The only one that can do that is me because I'm a little hard headed. I use chicken litter for fertilizer so I should be good but I will pull a soil test before planting to be on the safe side. I was going to drill either 20" or 30" rows haven't decided yet. 30" just seem to far apart. I have bears so they are more of my concern than the other critters eating the corn. I have had great success with grain sorghum which I know is more forgiving than corn but if I never try corn I'll never know besides a couple hundred bucks isn't going to kill me because I've wasted more than that before but sometimes it does leave a bad taste in the mouth if you know what I mean but that is how one learns.

Back