Reading List

BrianVT

Dogghr intrigued my interest with mention of the Blackwater Chronicles. I'm hesitant to ask him for more recommendations but I'll throw it out there. What are some other recommendations? It doesn't have to be habitat related.
If it's short stories starting out "I never thought it would happen to me but.... " please disregard.

What are you looking for? Good books in general? Good hunting books? Short stories?

Good Books in general. I just ordered the the Blackwater Chronicles but curious of what some others favorite reads are.

Something of Value by Robert Ruark (anything by him)

The Courtney and Ballantyne series by Wilbur Smith - these are historical fiction based on South Africa and Zimbabwe.

The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn - these are modern day CIA/action/political/thriller.

I'm not a reading for entertainment purposes sort of guy....so I am no help there. I read for information....as such my list is all about deer hunting, habitat work or plotting and the like. I have all of these....

Whitetail deer management and habitat improvement - Steve Bartylla
"by design" series by Jeff Sturgis (series includes: food plot success, whitetail success & mature buck success)
Mapping trophy whitetails - Brad Herndon
Quality Food plots - Thomas, Miller & Kammermeyer

I am sure there are others, but these are the ones I have read and read again and again....

Dogghr intrigued my interest with mention of the Blackwater Chronicles. I'm hesitant to ask him for more recommendations but I'll throw it out there. What are some other recommendations? It doesn't have to be habitat related.
If it's short stories starting out "I never thought it would happen to me but.... " please disregard.

Anything by William Faulkner or Wendell Berry. That’ll keep ya busy this winter at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I'm not a reading for entertainment purposes sort of guy....so I am no help there. I read for information....as such my list is all about deer hunting, habitat work or plotting and the like. I have all of these....

Whitetail deer management and habitat improvement - Steve Bartylla
"by design" series by Jeff Sturgis (series includes: food plot success, whitetail success & mature buck success)
Mapping trophy whitetails - Brad Herndon
Quality Food plots - Thomas, Miller & Kammermeyer

I am sure there are others, but these are the ones I have read and read again and again....

I have read all of the above

Bartylla and Herndon books have been particularly useful

bill

Good Books in general. I just ordered the the Blackwater Chronicles but curious of what some others favorite reads are.

You should’ve JST borrowed mine. Cancel ur order if u can. Old English read jst to warn you. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random books from this year I've read, but then I'll read about anything, even when I don't agree, or think the author is stupid. Always learn something. I've got a bunch of management books read too, but you guys know those, so here are some different. I liked these, no particular order....
A Walk In The Woods. Most Boy Scouts have more wood knowledge than this guy, but he and his buddy, a recovering alcoholic , hike of the AP interesting. And the one revelation of trials of an addict, and its constant battle is almost worth the read.

Man and Horse. Amazing story of ride across the country in early 70s. Especially how freedom of movement across the land was simpler and not as controlled as it is now.

Boys in a Boat. If you think you had it rough growing up, better read first few chapters of this. Not many could compete but if you can, it shows no matter the conditions, if you choose, you can overcome.

Desert Solitaire. Again, of experiences in the 60s managing Arches NP. If you ever spent time in the red canyons of Utah, you will relate. Good read as to how open the land was before everything became controlled.

Run Baby Run. As another book book above, if you think you had it hard or that there is no hope for an extremely evil people, then read.

Its Only a Game. Bradshaw is an idiot and hilarious same time. Much of what he says applies so much tho to change in the NFL game.

I like Dean R Koontz... always non stop action from the beginning. I've liked every book of his that I read.

Stephen King for his short stories - "Night Shift". His regular books spend a lot of time introducing characters.

Victor Hugo for "Le Miserables" - Very long and difficult book to read, but a classic that I think all humans should know!

"Unholy Night" by Seth Grahame-Smith - A point of view from the Three Wise Men biblical story, turned into a novel. I was skeptical at first but rather enjoyed it.

Wish I had more time to read. Got the new book from Dr. Harper and looking forward to starting on it soon.

Last edited:
A Sand county almanac by Aldo Leopold and meat eater - adventure from the life of an american hunter by Steve Rinella

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back