Question For Pear Tree Folks

lakngolf

Do you think there is a problem of "Wet Feet"?

Of the pear trees that I grew from seed and planted in Jan 2013 this is, by far, the best looking tree. It has a great shape, ever increasing trunk size, but does not offer to put on blooms like its fellow tree in second picture. The trees, planted on the same day, are less than 50 yards apart. Why does the big tree not bloom?

dVqjfDO.jpg

1DnvWEX.jpg

The major difference is the non-bloomer is close to a ditch and an area I once built a dam to collect water for the trees. That area now holds water and becomes quite soggy. No doubt the tree is close enough that its roots are in moist ground this time of the year. Here is a picture of the water hole after I began to open it a bit.

3c6T86e.jpg

Ul9aNe3.jpg

I worked a bit with the tractor and "Made the Ditch Great Again".

pN1nCgP.jpg

Do you think this will give the big tree a little more incentive to bloom next year?

Lak, here are my thoughts:

• It's hard to tell just how wet those feet are getting, but it's definitely a good thing to provide some drainage there. Wet feet aren't good for pears.
  • Since you grew these pears from seed, you can't expect them to be the same. They are two different cultivars of pears. It could be in their genes for one to start earlier than the other.
  • It's not uncommon for a fruit tree putting out a lot of vegetative growth to delay blooming in favor of growing bigger. I've seen that a lot in both pears and apples. It's nothing to worry about. The tree will know the right time to start fruiting.
So, I didn't answer your specific question, but hopefully gave you some things to consider. Since your pears were grown from seed, you could get something even better than the parents or something you may want to top work later because you aren't happy with the fruit. Either way - having those pears that far along is a great thing............

I planted American Wild Plum in a place like that and they grew just like that pear. They grew rapidly, and have never fruited or suckered!

UPDATE ON PEAR WITH WET FEET March 27, 2017

As I rode around the farm yesterday I was shocked to see a pear tree covered with white blooms. It is the tree that we discussed above.
Qute a pretty site

JdYrnJt.jpg

e4ma3BM.jpg

Here is a closeup shot of some blooms.
7pfrm65.jpg

FUFHe3Y.jpg

Oh, and the pear tree that produced so well last year, and had an abundance a month ago. Well, I think the cold spell wiped out all the fruit, and it is now just leaves. Healthy leaves, but no fruit.

RWSsB3E.jpg

Some mentioned above that the trees I started from seed probably produced trees of different characteristics. And my process of relieving the tree of water and wet feet probably had nothing to do with it.

Back