Prunus fruticosa x Prunus cerasus 'Juliet' + "romeo" + "Carmine Jewel"

Native Hunter

I planted and caged these a few years ago really not expecting them to work well in my area. Last year one of them had a few cherries, but this year two of them are loaded and it looks like we are headed for a bumper crop. Since they only grow about 6 feet tall they are easy to put a bird net on. I did that a few days ago, so now we will see how good they really are. The three planted were Romeo, Carmine Jewel and Juliet.

feS74iD.jpg

Last edited:
I have had good luck growing bush cherries as well, but I am in zone 7. I think mine are Nanking. The bushes have grown great for me, they are probably 7 feet tall and 4 foot spread each, planted in a row with 8 foot spacing. But man I hate growing any Prunus. I have to spray for fungus and insects before greenup all the way through leaf drop to keep them from dying. I don't mind doing that for peaches but cherries are too much work for me to feed 3/4 of them to the birds.

I have had good luck growing bush cherries as well, but I am in zone 7. I think mine are Nanking. The bushes have grown great for me, they are probably 7 feet tall and 4 foot spread each, planted in a row with 8 foot spacing. But man I hate growing any Prunus. I have to spray for fungus and insects before greenup all the way through leaf drop to keep them from dying. I don't mind doing that for peaches but cherries are too much work for me to feed 3/4 of them to the birds.

So far these have been no trouble, and I've never sprayed for anything. I will post some pictures later on as the fruits mature.

Back