pruning before tubing?

sandridge

Zone 8b, middle GA. Last year I planted some chinkapin oak and chinese chestnut in 5' tubes. I did not prune any of them prior to tubing. Some have been planted in tubes one year, some two years. Now I read where it is best to prune off all limbs prior to putting on the tubes. So, should I prune off the limbs inside the tubes this winter or just leave them as is?
Thanks.

I usually prune all the lateral branches inside of tubes. If you don't, nature will probably do it for you eventually.

I prune off anything i can in the tubes, now that some of mine are starting to peak out the tops Ill probably have to let nature do its thing.

I just cleaned out all my tubes over the weekend and pruned them. Don't know if the timing is right, but I did it anyway.

Definitely prune them when dormant. I prune everything when I plant now. For existing stuff, closer to spring the better, but I've done stuff as early as thanksgiving. Native species can tolerate a little more rule breaking. Here's a great example of what you'll get if you don't. Fast forward to the 3:36 mark.

Even if it doesn't come up in a green blob like this, extra limbs will slow tube emergence and delay canopy formation. Tubes are a long term commitment. I should be pruning all mine every year, but other projects seem to get in the way of me catching up. So I get to them on a two year rotation. You'll be happy how fast they come roaring up when you prune. You've got more roots and less above ground to support, so they push skyward.

Crabapples and bush varieties (cranberry, elderberry, etc) are notorious for packing themselves in with growth like that.

Another reason I love this forum! Tubed 5 crabapples last year. They had quite a few lateral limbs. Didn't know you were supposed to limb em up before tubing. Another project for the coming weekend.

Thx for sharing!

Another reason I love this forum! Tubed 5 crabapples last year. They had quite a few lateral limbs. Didn't know you were supposed to limb em up before tubing. Another project for the coming weekend.

Thx for sharing!
The projects never end.
I always prune before tubing. Late winter I will pull tubes (if able) and clean out dead leave and prune anything inside the tube

Usually come march or so I take all the tubes off and clean leaves off, cut off random mulberries the birds made grow in my tubes and prune branches at that time. Then in the spring as the tree buds I check down the tubes and if I see a bunch of branches I go trim those out at that time as well.

Dog,
What trees would be good to use the cutting to try and root?
Not a tree but I got elderberry to root last yr from cuttings. It was easy and fun to work with. I've also rooted hybrid willows before that worked well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How about Live Oaks?

Have planted 20 this year and they arrived fairly bushy. Is it okay to prune in their first year at the same time as they are planted, so that I can tube them, or would it be better to cage them, let them establish for a year and then prune and tube next year?

Thanks for the help.

-- and that was intended to be a question about live oaks but also trees that have just been planted in general, is it okay to prune that early?

Last edited:
I prune all my trees in tubes for as long as I can raise them up to get to them. Gonna do that tomorrow as a matter of fact.

Dog,
What trees would be good to use the cutting to try and root?
pears, apples, persimmons just don't root easily. Very very low success--as well as oaks. I've had good luck with mulberry and willows. Those two trees root very easily. I've tried several pears, peaches, persimmons, crabs with no success. I have rooted several bushes such as button bush, and flowers, and japanese honeysuckle with good success. Just do your research on a certain tree you are wanting to root. I always use a rooting hormone--either store bought or raw honey.

pears, apples, persimmons just don't root easily. Very very low success--as well as oaks. I've had good luck with mulberry and willows. Those two trees root very easily. I've tried several pears, peaches, persimmons, crabs with no success. I have rooted several bushes such as button bush, and flowers, and japanese honeysuckle with good success. Just do your research on a certain tree you are wanting to root. I always use a rooting hormone--either store bought or raw honey.
Mind giving a step by step on how you do mulberries? Honey?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back