prayers and dry leaves question

Mitch

So last week I received 3 separate phone calls from home. I live in Texas but was born and lived in Iowa for 25 plus years. An uncle had a massive stroke and was airlifted to the hospital and was in critical condition. Next day, another uncle who had been sick, his liver was shutting down and wasn't expected to make it much longer, 2 days later my aunt wasn't supposed to make it through this past weekend due to a brain tumor, she hasn't eaten since last Thursday. So any prayers you can send would be much appreciated.

I flew back home to spend time with my family and in my absence put my wife in charge of watering my chestnut and bur oak trees. They got rained on last Saturday but other than that it's been over 100 degrees and that's obviously taken it's toll on the chestnuts. The leaves are dry and brittle. I gave them a good soaking last night but i'm wondering are they past the point of saving?

Mitch

Prayers sent for your family Mitch...It sounds like your family is carrying a heavy burden :(

Dry Brittle leaves doesn't sound good...were the trees in shade or full sun the entire time?

Mitch you are in my thoughts. My last remaining grandfather passed away just a couple of days ago, its tough to deal with death in a close knit family.

Prayers sent for your family Mitch...It sounds like your family is carrying a heavy burden :(

Dry Brittle leaves doesn't sound good...were the trees in shade or full sun the entire time?
Thank you.
They get sun up until about 1 or 2 in the afternoon....then it's shade. I was thinking about pulling off the dead leaves and hopefully that regenerates some growth?

Hope the best for your family Mitch.

As for your trees. Water them, don't drown them. Put them someplace where they can get as much cool air as possible and not bake in the sun. I have actually put up pallets and stuff before to break up the sun and allow as much cool air circulation as possible. A real emergency practice may be to actually put the pots in the ground. The cooler soil temperature can help with moisture retention in the root system. In my area the sun has a northern aspect so I place my trees on the north side of the house as those temps tend to be cooler and try to place them where they only get a few hours of direct sun. Crunchy leaves isn't good.....but you will never save them if you don't try. Just some suggestions.

Will pulling leaves off that are dead do anything? I've done it in the past.....when leaves looked dead or dry and a new one would replace it that looked much healthier.

I could move them to the garage but they wouldn't get any sunlight but at least they would be out of the heat.

Back