Food plots minimal success...Help plan moving forward

I'm anti chemical also which makes it all the more important that if we do decide to use chemicals we do it based on accurate knowledge not opinions or points of view. I don't think it's a lack of science, just poor application.

I trust the guys here that have actually done the testing in real-world applications and apply what they have learned through their own trial and errors---usually saves me the trouble of just winging it because some guy at the coffee shop said "that's the best". Location makes a difference also. I'm always willing to learn better,faster,easier foodplot practices if possible.

Most oil adjuvants (COC) antagonize glyphosate - See #6.Most herbicides applied with glyphosate are lipophilic (oil soluble).These include Group 1, 2, 4, 5, 14, 15, and 27 herbicides (See X1).Oil adjuvants (COC and MSO) greatly enhance oil soluble herbicidesbut antagonize glyphosate. NIS + AMS enhance glyphosatephytotoxicity more than other additives, are less effective with oilsoluble herbicides, and will only partially overcome oil adjuvantantagonism of glyphosate. MSO based ‘high surfactant oilconcentrate’ adjuvants (HSMOC-see page 130) contain a higherconcentration of surfactant than COC and MSO and enhance oilsoluble herbicides without decreasing glyphosate activity. MostCOC/petroleum based ‘high surfactant oil concentrate’ (HSPOC)adjuvants are inferior to HSMOC adjuvants and usually do notperform differently than common COC or petroleum oil adjuvants.
https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/weeds/weed-control-guides/nd-weed-control-guide-1/wcg-files/a4-glyt
To simplify; all of the above goes away if you use a non-ionic surfactant and don't tankmix glyphosate with other herbicides. FYI, Dawn dish soap is a nonionic surfactant.

I've been on an anti-spray kick lately. Not for health reasons or any of the common agendas. We're hitting the effectiveness wall due to a lack of science. That's my main point.

My feelings evolve on this each day. Today, I'd go as far as saying gly is a fantastic product for the right purpose. What it is not, is a maintenance product or substitute for diversity. I keep a keen eye out for the number of threads on the internet where people have problems with Buddy Heaters, and unkillable weeds.

No disrespect to the OP or anyone else. I just think we're all studying the wrong thing and it keeps blowing up in our faces. An application of the biosciences would eliminate the need to chemically kill all-powerful weeds.
I'm not picking on you or being sarcastic, just curious what new science I'm missing. What biosciences can be applied to eliminate the need for chemicals to kill weeds? I have farmer friends trying to deal with marestail in notill soybeans who are all ears.

I'm not picking on you or being sarcastic, just curious what new science I'm missing. What biosciences can be applied to eliminate the need for chemicals to kill weeds? I have farmer friends trying to deal with marestail in notill soybeans who are all ears.
Great question, and the discussion I wish we'd be having across the whole internet.

First, take farmers outta the discussion. Those guys have constraints that don't bind us: profit and harvest-ability.

There are no weeds, only misunderstood plants. Anything growing on the landscape is an expression of what's needed. Unkillable zombie weeds are first responders after a disaster, and we're shooting at them with chemical and iron while they try to do their jobs. The worst of the weeds follow the worst of management to rectify what we've done to the soil. Plant life evolves with what is going on in the soil. First the horrible, then it weakens and other stuff begins to fill in. Eventually it turns back into what it was before us.

My whole contention is that the closer we get to whole-system/whole-health management, the first responders will quit coming. I'm convinced now more than ever that clover has to be the canvas to any plot system we have. But you can't just have clover. You'll lose it to grass and broadleafs in a few years. Spray as you may, it'll thin and weaken and something we can't kill will inevitably take over to un-do what we've done.

For me, that was horsetail, and curly dock. I sprayed to kill sedge, and it touched off a crop of horsetail that completely shaded the ground. Imagine that for a second, a plant with no leaves so dense it shaded the ground. I've also replicated that feat with horsetail and thistle as illustrated below. That was the last time I used glyphosate because I had no plan B after plan A resulted in catastrophe.
Horsetail.jpg
The closer we can get to a balanced plant community in the soil, the fewer management issues we'll have. That's where I'm at today. Any new plot almost has to start with rye, white clover, and chicory. It's the cornerstone of a balance that mimicks nature, but is still extremely simple. Think of it as a city economy. If all you had were military blowing things up, and nobody to rebuild and produce, that economy would collapse. You have to have carpenters, doctors, electricians, growers, teachers, bakers, women wrestlers, firemen, cooks, cleaners, mechanics, welders etc.

Native plant communities consist of grasses, legumes, broadleaves, flowers, fungus, bacteria, bugs, bees, nematodes, worms etc. They all play a part. Every one of them exists to do a job, and every one serves as a food source for another. Clover feeds AMF. AMF builds a grid that connects all plants beneath the soil. Along that grid, plant root exudates are used and traded by the fungus for exudates from the other plants.

Bacteria that consume (tie up) nitrogen are eaten by nematodes and pooped back out as stable and soluble N. Flowers above ground draw in predators that will eat other predators that would seek to defoliate a mono-crop planting. Worms dig channels, solubilize minerals, and kick out castings that aid soil flocculation which enables water holding capacity and movement into the subsoil vs ponding or running off. Glomalin is produced in functioning soil that holds particles and nutrients together so the soil pores don't collapse and sever the fungal nutrient trade network.

What is all boils down to is picking your weeds. Pick them yourself or nature will pick for you. It's figuring out how to manipulate a system like this that is tougher, but worth figuring out. This year I was able to get barley, jap millet, soybeans, and some flowers going in my clover plot by simple throwing and mowing as soon as the soil warms. It was a nice leap forward, but there is work to do. My barley planting was far too thin, and my sorghum didn't do well. I went way to light on seed rates. I'll adjust and try again next year. Most importantly, I knew if I failed, I would still have a clover and chicory plot. That will buy me some time to adjust and work back towards balanced before the long drain of imbalance brought me something I didn't want.

I was flattered as hell when I heard Dr. Nichols echo these same words. If you have time, watch the whole video. If not, just watch a minute or so from the 57:48 mark.

So is there a need for a new system?

Not to throw shade on anyone, cause I was right there with everyone not long ago, but seven of the nine most recent threads in the plot forum are spraying questions. Hop to any other forum, and the themes are similar.
threads.PNG

Not to throw shade on anyone, cause I was right there with everyone not long ago, but seven of the nine most recent threads in the plot forum are spraying questions. Hop to any other forum, and the themes are similar.
View attachment 16791

In a lot of ways --- you are right. That being said, I think the biggest issue is many people on this forum are trying to maximize plots in relatively small amounts of time. Rarely do I have more than a weekend here or there, so it does become a challenge. In a perfect world, I would try to go to no chemicals. It is just not my reality right now. Working on that winning lotto ticket though.

In a lot of ways --- you are right. That being said, I think the biggest issue is many people on this forum are trying to maximize plots in relatively small amounts of time. Rarely do I have more than a weekend here or there, so it does become a challenge. In a perfect world, I would try to go to no chemicals. It is just not my reality right now. Working on that winning lotto ticket though.
Interestingly enough, those are my same goals and challenges. I don't have a tractor, wheeler, or pickup, no mower, no sprayer, not even an earthway spreader (I do have a blower seeder). I live 6 hours away and I don't have the time, desire, or will to spray, till, fertilize, and continuously lime.

I rent equipment when I really need to do something, otherwise, I crank down my intervention as far as humanly possible, while also trying to drive output as high as possible, which is also my #1 goal.

Thanks for all the information and insight fellas. It definitely helps with so much info out there, and never quite sure which to follow. I am going to work on getting the winter rye and clover in here in the next few weeks. Start from the bottom and try build the economy!

View attachment 16791
Thanks, I appreciate everything that you wrote, especially the long post about nature's way of balancing itself. I agree with most of what you wrote, although the American farmers have proved that growing a notill monocultire with herbicides is also sustainable. I know that you said you weren't talking about commercial farming, but they're always my baseline reference point because they are the professionals of growing stuff. But you are right, there is no need for a monoculture for deer plots, a mixed plot is a more balanced diet for deer anyway. I answer a lot of spray questions because I have done a lot of ag spraying years ago, and I read labels, but I really don't spray my own plots that much, every plot on average gets less than one application of herbicide a year, no fungicide or pesticide at all. So what I'm saying is that I'm all about balance and moderation, a little spray, a little notill, some throw-n-mow, some monoculture plots, some very weedy plots, and some early successional plots that never need spraying. I like to experiment and one thing I discovered with clover is that more spraying is actually less. Keeping a monoculture of clover is much easier than keeping clover going as a mixture, in mixtures with no spraying the clover is usually about disappeared in three years, I think that I could keep clover going forever with 4 ounces per acre of imazethapyr yearly, which is probably less harmful to the environment than what's needed to replant the field every three years.

Thanks, I appreciate everything that you wrote, especially the long post about nature's way of balancing itself. I agree with most of what you wrote, although the American farmers have proved that growing a notill monocultire with herbicides is also sustainable. I know that you said you weren't talking about commercial farming, but they're always my baseline reference point because they are the professionals of growing stuff. But you are right, there is no need for a monoculture for deer plots, a mixed plot is a more balanced diet for deer anyway. I answer a lot of spray questions because I have done a lot of ag spraying years ago, and I read labels, but I really don't spray my own plots that much, every plot on average gets less than one application of herbicide a year, no fungicide or pesticide at all. So what I'm saying is that I'm all about balance and moderation, a little spray, a little notill, some throw-n-mow, some monoculture plots, some very weedy plots, and some early successional plots that never need spraying. I like to experiment and one thing I discovered with clover is that more spraying is actually less. Keeping a monoculture of clover is much easier than keeping clover going as a mixture, in mixtures with no spraying the clover is usually about disappeared in three years, I think that I could keep clover going forever with 4 ounces per acre of imazethapyr yearly, which is probably less harmful to the environment than what's needed to replant the field every three years.
We're talkin now, and that's a good place to start. We should probably move this out to a new thread to keep the conversation going. I'm by no means an expert on this to any extent of the guys that came before us like Lickcreek or CNC. But just like those guys brought some great ideas to the community from their own starting point, we could only hope to make as much of a contribution to pick up where they left off.

I hope you gentlemen and others do start a thread about this. It would be a great help for me and others who need the knowledge and to broaden their horizons. I look forward to following the conversations thanks

Back