Positives out of Covid- 19...

Triple C

1. Work from home does work. For the most part, we haven't missed a beat with 1200 employees all working from home. Sales are steady and if anything, productivity has increased.

2. Biz travel may never be the same. We've discovered that webinars, Ring Central, Zoom, Skype, etc. is pretty dog gone effective in conducting virtual meetings. Not sure we will ever have the same road crew we once had in getting in front of people as often as we did.

3. Will come out of this in better physical shape than I went in to it. With no late nite entertaining, meals, desserts, fast food thru airports, etc., and more time to exercise, I'm walking more than I ever have and actually losing weight.

4. Discovered wife and I can spend 6 weeks in the house together and not kill each other. At 64, and always having traveled, I often wondered what it will be like when I retire and being in her space on a daily basis. Wow! Pleasantly surprised.

How bout you guys? What positives will you take out of this deal?

I am flying through my project list at the cabin thanks to cheap gas. Been up every weekend since Easter, and I'm going again this weekend. I am through my must-do's, I am through my should-do's, and I'm into things I wish I had time to-do's.

This is the earliest I've ever been able to start prepping the property for hunting season. I've gotten stands moved, trails cleaned up, and new trails made. The plot has been converted to a perennial polyculture, so that only needs about 30 minutes of work in the spring, and 30 in the late summer.

Lots of time home with my wife and kids (all still alive). It’s actually been great getting to spend more time with the family. I would have been on the road at least 3 weeks in the past two months and probably would have squeezed in a hunting trip. I’m only going to the office ~3 days/week and haven't been gone since the first week in March!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have less distractions at home, have more meals w/ my lady than my busy business life before, saving hr a day just in travel time to work putting that to good use getting things done around house.

Negatives = UPS guy is at our house daily dropping off Amazon packages cause we are millenials so heaven forbid we doing any store front shopping haha from toothpaste to turkey calls its coming in a brown box.

I have traveled a lot all my life and have found being grounded wonderful. Have spent great quality time with my wife exploring where we want our lives to go and who we want to be while examining different educational opportunities to get us there. We spend every day studying something. My vegetable garden never looked better and we have all but been living out of it. For years I have been telling my wife I would like to stay home for most of the year at least once. Here we are and I feel great and look forward to every day with anxious anticipation. It does help to live on a farm with the ability to spend most of the day outside

I’ve been stupid busy. I’ve enjoyed being at our upstate property but the lousy weather has limited my outdoor time. We had 8” of snow this week which is largely melted...I’m hoping that’s it for the season. I’ve enjoyed the time with my wife. We haven’t had this much time together in 35 years. However, our puppy is driving me nuts....thinks I exist only for biting/play. The remote work has proven more effective than anticipated. Given my office is in the heart of Gotham, I figure I may be working remotely for some time yet. If so, it will make my corn/beans/brassica planting easier. We lost a number of large trees the last month so I’ve got lots of cleanup to do. I think the grapple will earn its keep. On a side note, turkey season opens in morning. This group was 20 yds from the front door a couple hours ago. 7F68BCFD-4AEE-4293-97BE-4FD7183221AC.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been stupid busy. I’ve enjoyed being at our upstate property but the lousy weather has limited my outdoor time. We had 8” of snow this week which is largely melted...I’m hoping that’s it for the season. I’ve enjoyed the time with my wife. We haven’t had this much time together in 35 years. However, our puppy is driving me nuts....thinks I exist only for biting/play. The remote work has proven more effective than anticipated. Given my office is in the heart of Gotham, I figure I may be working remotely for some time yet. If so, it will make getting my corn/beans/brassica planting easier. We lost a number of large trees the last month so I’ve got lots of cleanup to do. I think the grapple will earn its keep. On a side note, turkey season opens in morning. This group was 20 yds from the front door a couple hours ago. View attachment 18776
Good luck on the turkey hunt, I hope you have a thriller. We open Saturday 1/2 hour before sunrise.

Like everyone else, I enjoyed more time with my wife, and more bonding time with the family. I wonder if that's a common theme around the world, rather than the domestic violence anticipated, that one common thread from COVID19 is stronger family ties, which would seem to be a huge positive for the whole world.

Comments indicate what most of us know and believe...Folks that do what we do in the total outdoor experience are doing ok and perhaps, taking a deeper dive into what's important in life. One theme that comes thru is time spent with family. We're empty nesters and just about sick of the social distance thing, not hugging, kissing and just spending time with family and grandkids. Oh well. This too shall pass. We're headed to the farm tomorrow and plan on having most of the crew down for dinner Saturday evening. Hope to post pics in the Outdoor Cafe section if I can throw something together picture worthy.

One of these days I'm gonna update my property thread if I can find something new worth posting. On that note, the hack n squirt I did back in late February far exceeded my expectation. Can't believe some of the larger trees I used this method on that were crowding crop trees. They look dead as a door nail. Not a leaf on em. Owls n wood peckers should be happy.

I have not really worked in 5 weeks. However, we have been able to spend a lot of time at our new place. The amount of stuff I’ve done out there in the last 5 weeks would have normally taken me months due to only being able to go out on the weekend.

My daughter is 12 and I would normally see her for about 30-45 min each night after she gets home from her activities. She is beat and dog tired by then and still has homework. I cant count how many times I’ve told her how much I’ve enjoyed spending time with her. It’s been a true blessing. She helped me with our first prescribed burn and has helped clear brush, mow and hang tree stands. Not to mention, all the fun at home.

More golf does not improve my game.

Weather has sucked so farm work has been limited. But did get some new ladder stands done and undid some tree tubing.

Redid my Will and Living Will. The latter partly because my wife and I do nt have same philosophy on this. I don’t want be plugged in and she don’t want me unplugged! Glad she cares that much but that’s a negatory.

Speaking of her , we work together so not often apart. We have really enjoyed our work free time together and have spent a lot of time just running around doing nothing but fun.

Got motorcycles and cars cleaned up. Some of this out of boredom as I don’t like not working. I only do 2-3 day work wk and am a bit part timer but I still enjoy my work, interaction with people , and still feel I provide a service to society. Lame I know, but I have no desire to quit and this lockdown has confirmed that.

The worst... I’ve stayed away from my aging parents for nearly 8 wks as I am at a fairly high exposure rate to the virus thru work. But went today for Dads 89 th birthday. His dementia keeps him out there a ways but they still love each other to death. Once while they were lip locked I said maybe we better leave. My dad just winked. They been thru a lot of trials and it’s good to see their happiness. I’m lucky.

a88c9f69bafcbc20fada70dd8942ea23.jpg

My wife and I are mid 60’s with some underlying health problems. We are both retired, live on our 400 acres, and are 1 mile from a boat ramp on a 30,000 acre lake. I asked my wife what she thought we should do when our state started opening back up. She said - “I think we need to continue to shelter in place until a vaccine is available - just like we have for the last ten years”.

I am trying to think of positives but can’t...my wife works in healthcare 3 states away and all leave has been cancelled. She is on a reservation so I may or may not get to visit because they fear all outsiders now. My grandkids miss their friends badly. People are starting to tighten up on their money now so my work is getting more sparse. Can’t find what I want at the grocery store and my favorite restaurants are closed and I am now known as the crazy old guy that refuses to wear a mask or walk up and down aisles only following the arrow directions. Lowe’s is so busy you can’t shop there. Everyone is off so fishing and turkey hunting is really crowded and to top it all we are starting to see cattle being killed for fun by kids with too much free time and some being butchered in the field and theft is through the roof! Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but this economy has got to get moving!!!

Just to keep things light hearted: Perfect morning with mist/light rain. Called in 3 long beards. Took this one at 19yds. 31/2” load of 5s don’t buff out. The other Toms came back in to the decoys 10 minutes after the shot. Kicking myself for not bringing the bow. Fortunately, I’ve got the rest of May to try to punch another tag with the stick and string. 10” beard546A0463-FADB-403C-9459-2B2662B9318E.jpeg

I am neutral. Any positive about more down time, family time, peace of mind would be greatly outweighed by awkward visits to gas station, pharmacy and grocery store. And I feel for businesses that are unlawfully shut down. Best to get things going.
I had not seen my grandkids an hour away for two months. Jack and I got in only one Turkey hunt. It was to protect poppa and nana. Well I broke down on Tuesday. I smoked a Boston butt, a dozen chicken breast and baked a pound cake. Then took all to bham and enjoyed a short visit. Hugs and all

My contract IT work can be done remotely although I do miss those big double screens when trying to compare code and report details.

Last edited:
Back