Plant ID Resources

There may have been a thread dedicated to this on the old forum, but I thought I'd try to start one so that newcomers could benefit as well.

Apart from just googling, what resources do you use to identify native plants? Books/PDFs/websites/etc...

Hoping Native can feel us in on where he has gained his knowledge from as well, guessing it wasn't all from a book ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google is vastly more informative than any book you'll ever find. The thing with google is, you have to know how to describe a plant.

For instance, if we were to describe the plant that appears in the above link as
shrub leaf entire finely serrated trifolate streaked bark in google. The plant appears on the first page of google images.
Heres the thing: you have to use google images to find what you're looking for. In this case, the plant mentioned above (american bladdernut) appears on the first page of images loaded.

9 times out of 10, this method will work. You just have to know how plants are described..

Fair point. I've used it in a similar manner and have been successful. But you can't depend on one result, you'd need to verify with multiple sources since google images aren't always properly labeled by the source or google. I would add that anyone finding a matching picture, google the name associated and verify that the pictures match from a few sources.

Appreciate the input, great explanation. Very helpful.

I'm like Luke Skywalker and just rely on the Force.:D

Just Kidding. Someone else asked a similar question in the thread below, and I gave info on some good starter books and a web link. Hope this helps.

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/what-is-this-shrub.87/

Don't know if I agree...Probably more like Yoda...;)

Thanks for the link, must have missed the post. I'll definitely be checking out the books.

Appreciate the input.

Google is vastly more informative than any book you'll ever find. The thing with google is, you have to know how to describe a plant.

For instance, if we were to describe the plant that appears in the above link as
shrub leaf entire finely serrated trifolate streaked bark in google. The plant appears on the first page of google images.
Heres the thing: you have to use google images to find what you're looking for. In this case, the plant mentioned above (american bladdernut) appears on the first page of images loaded.

9 times out of 10, this method will work. You just have to know how plants are described..

This is true. Google is great. I use it all the time.

Only problem is that it will be gone someday when the "BIG ONE" hits....

Back