Officially a habitat geek, collected some acorns...now what?

TexOk

So I'm at a different college campus from the one I usually teach at, and as I'm walking out to the parking lot I feel a big crunch under my foot. I look down and notice that it was an acorn. Now this time last year I don't know that I would have noticed or cared, but obviously by now I'm officially a habitat geek, because my first reaction is to then look up to see what kind of oak it is. I figured it would be something common, maybe a white oak or Shumard oak, but on looking at I knew it wasn't either of those. Now I definitely have a long way to go when it comes to tree/shrub/forb ID, but I was pretty sure I was looking at a large mature Chinkapin oak...maybe. Any of you guys care to confirm?

6258c91ee2aebe339d18ada49fdd50a9.jpg
1a79730e037f2df397853486802b48ed.jpg
24224a666c603b49edbe8806b71f9a9b.jpg

Well, I got a little excited about this because I know what a draw Chinkapin oak acorns are, but I have yet to spot any on either of my properties. So right there at the entrance to the college I began scouring the ground and collecting acorns like a crazy person, just waiting for one of students to walk by and shake their head at me like I've lost my marbles. Of course then my habitat geek brain starts to wonder what other kinds of oaks are around the campus! So I found some white oaks and some bur oaks and really loaded (what I believe to be) Shumard oak.
786ac0a35dbfd1ba7bd48fb48b5df64b.jpg

And then I came across this tree. At a distance I thought maybe it was another Chinquapin oak, but as I got closer I noticed the acorns were bigger... much bigger! So now I'm thinking maybe Swamp Chestnut? Not as many acorns on the ground from this one but there were quite a few still hanging on.
f734adfc3423b7b714ceb83a55560215.jpg

So now I have some acorns I'd like to grow out and plant on my properties, but not sure how to go about it. I know I don't want to try to grow them indoors, maybe grow them outdoors in root trappers for a year and then transplant? Or would direct seeding be better?

There are guys that know alot more than I do on this but keep in fridge and make sure they don't build up to much moisture or mold but don'e dry out.There was another thread that had all the info if I can find it

First one looks like a chestnut oak a little bit.
Third one may be a chinkapin.......I can tell by their acorn shape.....just like a football.
Second one......I suck at reds, so I wont try!

Next time you gather them, I would strongly recommend you pick from the tree instead of off the ground.....assuming you can reach. The ones you cillect, dump them in a bowl/bucket of water.....keep the ones that sink....toss the floaters. Next pull the sinkers and check for holes or any "odd" look......toss them too

Once they hit the ground they are WAY more likely to have bugs in them or just be damaged and useless......the main reason I pick them off trees if I can.

There is alot of info around, but the moral is keep the good ones, stick them in a ziplock bag with damp sphagnam moss, toss in fridge. .....wait for spring!

First one looks like a chestnut oak a little bit.
Third one may be a chinkapin.......I can tell by their acorn shape.....just like a football.
Second one......I suck at reds, so I wont try!

Next time you gather them, I would strongly recommend you pick from the tree instead of off the ground.....assuming you can reach. The ones you cillect, dump them in a bowl/bucket of water.....keep the ones that sink....toss the floaters. Next pull the sinkers and check for holes or any "odd" look......toss them too

Once they hit the ground they are WAY more likely to have bugs in them or just be damaged and useless......the main reason I pick them off trees if I can.

There is alot of info around, but the moral is keep the good ones, stick them in a ziplock bag with damp sphagnam moss, toss in fridge. .....wait for spring!

Thanks Buckdeer, I'll check out the DCO thread.

CAS, this may seem like an obvious question but when picking the acorns off the tree, how do you know when it's time to start plucking them? Once you notice some on the ground? If I jump I can reach some of the lower branches so I can pick some next time I'm teaching at that campus, probably in two weeks. Now I'll be the crazy person jumping up and grabbing tree branches and plucking acorns off of them. I'll probably wait a while after class is over and hope most of my students have gone home already...

Seeing the actual acorns might help so here's a pic. The smaller ones are from the first tree, big ones are from the third tree. I didn't pick any from the red oak because I've already got some of those, although that tree was pretty loaded so maybe it would be worth growing out a few...
d737f6443f33eadf9310fd91f179ce4a.jpg

The white oaks dont require cold stratification but putting them in the fridge will delay germination if you want to start them in pots next spring. Direct planting now at your place will work but many may get dug up by squirrels and other rodents. Flagging the planting site wI'll help you locate them in order to tube them next spring when they start upward growth.

I also like to pull them off the tree. Once they start falling then plucking off the tree should be no problem.

Picking them up off the ground is fine. Take them home and do a float test in the sink...if they float, they're bad. Personally, here in SC, I've always had great luck sticking the acorn in soil now instead of waiting for spring. Just remember to water them through winter.

Chinkapin acorns are small - real small - like you little finger nail type small. All members of the white oak family you should plant right away - they don't need to go thru the cold. Punch some holes in the soft ground with an old broom handle - place the acorn point down and give it a good stomp and move on to the next spot. Remove the caps and float test any and all that you collect from the ground. I collect acorns all the time - I'm used to getting strange looks.

Back