Ozone generator recommendations

Jeff H

I've been a big proponent of using smoke to kill human odor for a couple years now. I truly believe it works. My current problem with smoke is my 13 year old son. Now most 13 year old boys have an aversion to bathing as it is. Having 2 or more in my truck and I have to let the windows down! His room smells like a trash dumpster and that's after it's been cleaned! I have him bath in scent free soap before hunting and smoke the clothing that he wears hunting but it's not enough. After our hunt Saturday he pulled off his boots and I thought I was going to puke! There is no way around it...the boy stinks! Sunday I spotted a buck heading down a ridge on a bee line toward us. This buck travels this line and that's why were were there. He never topped the ridge we were on. I'm sure he smelled us. Is there any hope for me? is an ozone generator the answer ? It would have to be portable as my son generates his smells at an alarming rate. Doing just the clothing I don't think would work. I have no experience with them and would not be able to afford a $300 Ozonics. Please help!

For 20$ I get 2# of activated carbon powder. Messy, but I feel it works amazing. Put that in his boots and on his socks. It will keep his feet dryer/warmer too !

I put it on my cloths/skin as well as fill a sock with it to pat down with in the field if I get sweaty/oily on the way out/sitting. Use it to brush your teeth before hunts and it whitens your teeth:D

I feel it's very affective and cheap. 2# will easily last a season. Also you don't have to lug extra stuff to the stand.

I also use a 400 MG/H ozone generator I bought for 47$ on Amazon (same MG as ozonics) on my cloths prior to hunting. I have a small tote for socks, a mid sized one for undergaments, and a large for outer wear and back pack. I then put a 3/8 hole in each that I can run the hose into the tote and pump ozone throughout. Then I have a little chunk of duct tape to plug the hole to lock it up. Nice size to treat the truck before you leave to. Cheaper alternatives. Hope this helps a little :)

Thanks Bigeight. I've used activated carbon crystals that I found in the aquarium section at Walmart. Where do you find the powder ? I'll definitely try that in his boots/socks. I have a closet in the garage for all of my hunting items. I have been porting smoke into it the same as you have your ozone. I think I'd be ok with still smoking the clothes as I have been but I really need to do something to keep the stink down throughout the day. Sometimes I carry a portable smoker into the woods with me. I didn't last weekend. Maybe it would have helped, I don't know. I do know that the ozone generators work. I just need one that's portable and cost effective.

Check out Amazon.com and there is a bunch of activated carbon powders. Most are around 20$/2# which is a good amount. The crystals are fine for putting in areas, but don't get into all the nooks and crannies of your clothing/skin. And hurt the feet when in your boots :D

The "scent crusher" ozone unit is 50$/for a 50 MG machine (guess)
You can get a 400 MG unit for 47$. I bought an AC adapter for my truck to run it for about 15$. Before that I just ran an extension cord in there.

Bigeight thanks for the info. I have a ac adapter so i will be ordering the 400mg unit!!

Check out Amazon.com and there is a bunch of activated carbon powders. Most are around 20$/2# which is a good amount. The crystals are fine for putting in areas, but don't get into all the nooks and crannies of your clothing/skin. And hurt the feet when in your boots :D

The "scent crusher" ozone unit is 50$/for a 50 MG machine (guess)
You can get a 400 MG unit for 47$. I bought an AC adapter for my truck to run it for about 15$. Before that I just ran an extension cord in there.

Thanks..in the past I used a coffee bean grinder to make powder out of the crystals, but that was a real pain! I'll check Amazon for the powder.
Scentlok makes a portable ozone generator but I can't find any info on output levels. I'm starting to wonder if I could use a portable power pack to power an AC unit.

Last edited:
I've done larger rooms than that and noticed a huge difference with my 400 MG one. I just ran two 30 minute cycles. It's based on a MG/hour. So it's just a matter of how long you feel like running it. They sell 4,000 MG/H for less than 90$ on Amazon I don't believe those ones have the little hose to run it into totes, and down your boots, etc.

I've done larger rooms than that and noticed a huge difference with my 400 MG one. I just ran two 30 minute cycles. It's based on a MG/hour. So it's just a matter of how long you feel like running it. They sell 4,000 MG/H for less than 90$ on Amazon I don't believe those ones have the little hose to run it into totes, and down your boots, etc.

Thanks. I'm tossing around the idea of getting one for multiple purposes. All my hunting stuff is currently in a bedroom, so i could just do the whole room. Camper gets a little funky after 2-3 weeks of hunting out of it so it seems like a good match there as well.

I purchase the new Scentlock Ozone unit. It has a 1 hour and 3 hour setting. Will run for 8 hours on one full charge. What I have started to do is the night before a hunt I put all my hunting gear in my truck and set the unit for 3 hours. There is a strong ozone scent in the truck when I leave in the morning but it is gone a few minutes after airing out. I don't know how much it helps but I know it doesn't hurt. Works great when I am staying at the farm where I don't have access to wash my clothes after several hunts. Just throw it all in the truck before I got to sleep and start the unit.

todd

Todd do you take yours into the woods with you ? It's portable correct ? also do you know what the output is ?

Thanks. I'm tossing around the idea of getting one for multiple purposes. All my hunting stuff is currently in a bedroom, so i could just do the whole room. Camper gets a little funky after 2-3 weeks of hunting out of it so it seems like a good match there as well.
If I was going to get one for a room/camper, I would get a 3,000-4,000 sized one. A camper with a 4,000 sized one could do it, and all your cloths hanging up in short order for under 90$

Are you guys noticing a difference......like a REAL difference?

I am pretty in tune to the stank I let off and try REALLY hard to make my cloths clean everytime I wear them.....line, dry, etc, etc. I do notice deer smell me less that before, but I still get busted some.

I can put a stinky pair of socks, dry them outside, then put them in a little tote and to run the unit into the tote. Doesn't smell to me after they come out. I'm no deer, but it does make a dramatic difference to my human nose. Best I can tell ya :)

We have the 4000 Sylvan unit we got through Amazon for under $100... I tell you it can flat get rid of some odor. I have been using mouse traps to trap some mice that have gotten into our camper on our deer lease but it is usually several days between trips and as warm as it has been dead mouse can get pretty funky. I go in and take care of the dead critters and then turn on the ozone generator and in less than 15 minutes the odor is completely gone.

Todd do you take yours into the woods with you ? It's portable correct ? also do you know what the output is ?
No but I think it would work fine in a ground blind or tower stand. I will look tonight when I get home and look at the output.

Last edited:
Back